News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Dodge Charger wiring help.

Started by Charger68-73, December 08, 2014, 10:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger68-73

I am currently working on a 1973 Dodge Charger rallye edition and the back wiring harness plug ins for the tail lights rusted through and I was wondering if anyone knows anyone on how to fix and replace those plugins or if anyone knows where to get a plug and play replacement? Thank you very much for your time and I hope someone will be able to help me

ODZKing

Ah, the problem 73-4 owners have had for some time now. I assume you refer to the sockets that are molded into the tail lamp housing that was not meant to be replaced.
Some folks here will chime in I'm sure as a few have done some fix-it's but in the long run, really the answer is to get new tail lamp housings. They are not re-popped and every time I ask a vendor, no one seems to be interested in tackling that project.  They say it would cost too much and "we" meaning the owners, won't spend the money.
Nacho I'm sure will lend his expertise here soon I'm sure.
Those and the 73-4 grille(s) I believe we all need. I do wish someone would do a run.

AZMoparboy

Hi, don't know if this'll really help, but there is a entire left SE tail light assembly on eBay. When putting my charger together I had to do the same thing go find something that would work.  Just try doing a search on eBay and you'll find them. This light assembly was a buy it now for a price I don't remember exactly which price it was but it probably will go quickly? And if it's gone by the time that you look for it, just keep watching day after day I go to eBay two and three times a day to watch what goes on and be able to respond to those parts immediately? Good luck

Charger68-73

So there is no way to build a replica of the old wiring harness with a new one? Just throwing ideas out there seeing if anything is possible?

ODZKing

AZ, If you mean http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1972-Dodge-Charger-SE-Right-Taillight-Assembly-/221609654993?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3398f6fad1&vxp=mtr
That is a 72.
As I mentioned in my previous post, guys have cobbled ones up in the past.
Take a look at this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,113631.msg1401067.html#msg1401067
They may be more, I don't remember ithas been discussed so many time on different forums.  Try searching "Tail Lamp Housing".

Charger68-73

Has anyone ever bought the clean wiring harness kit? If so how did that work and how effective and time comsuming was it? Here's a example of what I'm talking about with clean wiring harness kit. http://m.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Dodge/Charger/KEEP_IT_CLEAN/Body_Wiring_Harness/1973/KCLOEMWP26.html?apwcid=apwecn&003=29204732&CS_010=apw1973dochbowihaKCLOEMWP26 Something of that sort im not sure how hard this would be when you get it and start to put together is it going to be plug and play? Or is there soldering involved with it?

Pete in NH

Hi,

I would say that type of universal harness is not going to be plug and play. The only harness that is going to be plug and play- almost, is a replica OEM harness. I don't know if  OEM  type harnesses are available for your 73. The type of harness you referenced in your link is very likely going to need quite a bit of work to get installed with adapting and moving connectors and terminals from the old harness and a lot of wire and circuit tracing to get everything working correctly. I would think you're going to have to do a bit of soldering at times and crimping on terminals. I would say you need some experience in working with automotive wiring to get it installed.

Note it says GM color codes are used, that alone is going to be a bit confusing as you try to cross things over from the Chrysler color codes.

Charger68-73

We'll when it comes to electrical I do admit I do need to have a bit more experience in, but when it comes to everything else it's easier. The main this that's going to put me behind is electrical.

Pete in NH

Do you know how to use a crimping tool correctly to put connectors on the end of a wire? With something like this kind of harness I would hook up and work on one circuit at a time get it working and move onto the next. Trying to do it all at once can lead to a real mess if things go wrong.

If you don't know how to use a crimping tool. I would start by getting a decent one and some wire and extra terminals of the type you will be using and practice. Also, a small volt-ohm meter to trace and test circuits is a must have to get this harness installed.

Year One's RL74 rear lighting harness might work for you if what you need is something for the rear body wiring on your 73. Quite a bit less money and a much closer fit to your car.

ODZKing

I would agree with Pete.  I would stay away from the harness "kits" frankly.
There are ones out there.  I purchased the front harness(s) from Evans and they were perfect. Everything color matched and lengths exact.  I would go that way.  My  :Twocents:

Revised:  Just saw this http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101735.0.html
Year One 25% off sale.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ODZKing on December 09, 2014, 09:02:52 AM
Ah, the problem 73-4 owners have had for some time now. I assume you refer to the sockets that are molded into the tail lamp housing that was not meant to be replaced.
Some folks here will chime in I'm sure as a few have done some fix-it's but in the long run, really the answer is to get new tail lamp housings. They are not re-popped and every time I ask a vendor, no one seems to be interested in tackling that project.  They say it would cost too much and "we" meaning the owners, won't spend the money.
Nacho I'm sure will lend his expertise here soon I'm sure.
Those and the 73-4 grille(s) I believe we all need. I do wish someone would do a run.

nothing more to add than the link from a previuos thread you already pasted the link. Using the CLOSER socket to the original, but ALLWAYS needing trimming the housing, and glue to attach the replacement.

Unless you made to catch an used tail light assembly with nice harness/sockets, and pry out the sockets from it to reinstall it on your housing. I did it once, to replace a reverse lamp socket.

There is a NOS tail light harness assembly on ebay ( right side I think )... which I have being watching for long time, but I haven't being brave enough to pull the buy it now trigger
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html