News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger 500 Registry

Started by Homerr, December 26, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

Quote from: Homerr on January 01, 2015, 02:30:12 AM
arrow,
It sounds like 69_500 is not only adhering to the rules that I set in the first post, but he is also adhering to agreements he made with you personally.  There is no need to link a VIN to your name and not the intent of the registry.

held1823 & richRTSE,
We get it, but would you mind removing the info about arrow?  If it was posted in the forum I'd say it could be included as a VIN in the registry, but let's not use this thread to link owners to a car unless they do it themselves.  I'd rather this not be a place for antagonizing owners.  It sets a bad precedent.  

ws23rt,
The intent was to register all 392 cars (or more if there are any).  So, yes, wrecked/scrapped/totalled cars are to be counted.  There is a column category named 'Fate'.  If you have the VIN and know what happened to the car posting the info would be great!

i will not entirely remove my post. my first comment toward arrow made no mention of a vin, but simply pointed out that WHEN, not if, his car made it on the list, it was via information he posted himself. rich is apparently more forgiving than i am, but arrow's attitude made it clear that he would blame danny if the vin surfaced, and i will not allow that to happen. had arrow not fired back with the "dumb ass" comment, the vin would still be buried in the ancient threads. there was no intent to antagonize arrow, and any bad precedent was set by his asinine remarks and stance towards a registry that would provide answers that even he has expressed interest in over the years. removing the vin now serves no purpose; it is already out there and should be on the list.

danny has spent countless hours and untold dollars to amass the c500 database that he possesses. not once has he broken a vow to keep information private, and this thread serves as proof of danny's integrity. the thread also speaks volumes about arrow. it is a sad situation when danny would share his knowledge with the hobby at no cost, especially in light of the fact that the most important document of all, the factory c500 list, is in the hands of someone who will take it with them to the grave. we expect no less from gg, but it is an absolute pity that owners like arrow hinder keeping c500 history accurate and complete.

since rich has already removed the original quote that showed the number, i will edit the screen shots to remove them as well, but i refuse to remove the evidence that exonerates danny. this edit could allow for the vin to remain on the database list without identifying who owns it. it's not like the existence of a c500 with this vin has been a secret the last few years.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

6bblgt

knowledge of VINs has lead to rampant fraud, theft and pestering of car owners worldwide - NOT!  :brickwall:

here's 1,920 Superbird VINs -  :cheers: http://brcook.com/id17.html

arrow

Looks like Id better man up and apologize to everyone one here. Sorry guys .

richRTSE

Quote from: arrow on January 01, 2015, 12:18:42 PM

:2thumbs:

69_500

Arrow, no apology needed. I know there are several cars in my list I am not at liberty to share anything about. And those cars are marked in my list and I exclude them anytime I make mention of totals and such.

Hope everyone is having a good 2015.

My personal feelings on the list on Google is that it should probably be limited to just VIN and not show entire fender tag info.

Ghoste

The Shelby Registry has made ownership history an available bit of information (where possible) almost from day one.  Combined with the car history (was it destroyed, rebodied, etc) it has helped the Shelby owners immensely.  Truth is, rather than assist fraud it has prevented a lot of it.  It's a touchy subject though, I'll admit that even with being the steward for the 69 Registry I don't know that I would be comfortable with publishing the VIN and location of my own car and it isn't even a particularly unusual or valued 69.

Ghoste

100% Danny.  The fender tag info isn't required for the public at all.

richRTSE

I had saved this off the internet many years ago...Galen's 181 "known" list....my 500 was not on there

held1823

i admit i did not see this one coming. i'm glad to see you took things as intended, and not as an attack.

Quote from: 69_500 on January 01, 2015, 12:29:40 PM
I know there are several cars in my list I am not at liberty to share anything about. And those cars are marked in my list and I exclude them anytime I make mention of totals and such.
My personal feelings on the list on Google is that it should probably be limited to just VIN and not show entire fender tag info.

Quote from: Ghoste on January 01, 2015, 12:32:21 PM
100% Danny.  The fender tag info isn't required for the public at all.

i respect both of you guys a great deal, but disagree with two things here.  

1 - being forced to exclude known cars from a total is the very essence of incomplete information. i know WHY you have to do it, but that doesn't make it suck any less.

2 - a great deal of interest revolves around option codes - how many were built with what equipment. vin lists are cool, but do not answer anything. the fender tag shows how a car left the factory over four decades ago, and nothing more.

the charger sitting here is probably a desirable one, and i've not lost one minute of sleep worrying about it disappearing in the night. i have, however, found a bit of joy in adding its codes to help create an accurate and more complete hobbyist database. what good is our knowledge if it passes away with us?

diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, i guess.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

41husk

I love the idea and added XX29L9B239388.  I will edit my Fender tag info later.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69_500

Here is how I see the adding of fender tag info.

On my car,I could care less if anyone knows the fender tag info, as I park it at every show with the hood up for the world to see. However I do not feel comfortable publishing other people's fender tag info unless I have been given the ok to do so.

Ernie, I understand where your coming from on wanting to know how many of what color and such. In the thread I started about 500's I have posted this kind of info. IE how many of what color exterior, how many Hemi, and how many 4 speed and such. What I did not do in that thread was point out exactly which ones they are. So a person could see that I have say 34 R4 cars, but they do not know which ones in the list they are.

C500

:2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Ghoste

Quote from: 69_500 on January 01, 2015, 04:14:18 PM
Ernie, I understand where your coming from on wanting to know how many of what color and such. In the thread I started about 500's I have posted this kind of info. IE how many of what color exterior, how many Hemi, and how many 4 speed and such. What I did not do in that thread was point out exactly which ones they are. So a person could see that I have say 34 R4 cars, but they do not know which ones in the list they are.

Yes, same thing with the 69 Registry.  I can tell at a glance how many had which options and with a little work see how many were grouped in various ways.  This info can be graphed and its something I'm trying to put together for the website.  What you won't see are SO numbers, locations, owners, or VINs.  Maintaining privacy helps to establish trust with the people who are really opposed to sharing their info and so hopefully encourages them to participate so that the information that can be used comes forth.

500Jon

Nice one Arrow, takes a real man to apologise, especially when you ain't done nowt wrong!

No more talk of right and wrong is needed, just add to the list or don't!!! :2thumbs:
Once more than 200 Folks are on there, the others will follow!

The mystery of C500's live on and this thread proves it!!!

Supersonic work by RICH!!!
GG's list out in the open albeit outta date now.

ps, my 248662 isn't on his old list either, which makes me feel good inside!!! :smilielol:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

RallyeMike

I threw info on mine mine in there 232008.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

held1823

Quote from: Ghoste on January 02, 2015, 12:59:40 AM
Quote from: 69_500 on January 01, 2015, 04:14:18 PM

Yes, same thing with the 69 Registry.  I can tell at a glance how many had which options and with a little work see how many were grouped in various ways.  This info can be graphed and its something I'm trying to put together for the website.  What you won't see are SO numbers, locations, owners, or VINs.  Maintaining privacy helps to establish trust with the people who are really opposed to sharing their info and so hopefully encourages them to participate so that the information that can be used comes forth.

again, i understand WHY you "official" guys cannot share some information. i agree 100% that owner names and locations should not be disclosed. however, i disagree 100% that vin and so numbers have any connection whatsoever with identifying an owner. these numbers got the car down an assembly line, period. even so, there are still owners like you state, whose unfounded paranoia dictates how the information is used.

i haven't fooled with it for a few years, but i have a decent start on a database for the daytonas. there is nothing in it to identify a single owner, past or present. it is simply a list of cars and options as they left the factory. what this information has to do with anyone's privacy is beyond me, since not a single person even owned one of the cars at that point. in reality, the information i have gathered does me no personal good - i know the entire history of my car from day one, but keeping this information locked away on my hard drive does no one any good. i will fix this dilemma by years end, hopefully with the help of fellow enthusiasts, but alone if need be. i will not let this work pass away with me, in the end.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

500Jon

Well said Ernie!!! :2thumbs:

Paranoia is the problem here as with any ownership of anything with rarity and desire!
Once the C500 list becomes established the problem will ease I'm sure.

My C500 was already a victim of a Fraud by an unscrupulous person.
A whole new Daytona was faked and sold using my Vin, lack of knowledge and info allowed it to happen.
That would be laughable now as we all know that Daytona Vin's are totally different to the earlier C500's.
Build dates, order numbers etc, etc etc...........

Knowledge is good not BAD!!!
The internet has changed everthing, hopefully forever!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ghoste

Homerr

First, I'm happy the thread is back on track.

Quote from: held1823 on January 02, 2015, 09:31:28 AMagain, i understand WHY you "official" guys cannot share some information. i agree 100% that owner names and locations should not be disclosed. however, i disagree 100% that vin and so numbers have any connection whatsoever with identifying an owner. these numbers got the car down an assembly line, period. even so, there are still owners like you state, whose unfounded paranoia dictates how the information is used.

i haven't fooled with it for a few years, but i have a decent start on a database for the daytonas. there is nothing in it to identify a single owner, past or present. it is simply a list of cars and options as they left the factory. what this information has to do with anyone's privacy is beyond me, since not a single person even owned one of the cars at that point. in reality, the information i have gathered does me no personal good - i know the entire history of my car from day one, but keeping this information locked away on my hard drive does no one any good. i will fix this dilemma by years end, hopefully with the help of fellow enthusiasts, but alone if need be. i will not let this work pass away with me, in the end.

Second, my take is that as we can show more and more VIN's without any side-effects that some owners that may hold back their VINs will come forward.  Give it some time.

Lastly, the fender tag info is optional.  I included it since it was in pics of cars advertised on the internet.  I agree that it is just documentation and doesn't provide any unique identifiers to an owner (unless they want it to via posts elsewhere).  Maybe in 20 years the VIN list and fender tag will info will be as complete as it ever can be.

held1823

Quote from: Ghoste on January 02, 2015, 10:40:30 AM
Ah, I get it now Ernie.  :2thumbs:

i'm being scolded and sent to my room without supper.

Quote from: Homerr on January 02, 2015, 10:49:08 AM
First, I'm happy the thread is back on track.

i missed the part where it went off track, but that's nothing new
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

As an aside, my personal reason for not revealing SO numbers in the 69 database is because that tidbit can make it just a little easier for the clone crowd or someone wanting to "recreate" a fender tag that already exists somewhere.  ;)

Ghoste

And we aren't completely cruel here, we insist you finish your supper before going to your room.  (but don't even think about dessert or coming down later for a snack Mr.  :nono: )

;)

Homerr

Thanks to richRTSE posting the GG list, we're now up to 217 cars!

edit: deleted 2 dupes due to formatting errors.

C500

Danny... do you have this one on your list: XS29L9B210714? Buildsheet located here http://www.superbirdclub.com/membersmopars.html

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

500Jon

Slow down Homerr!

At this rate there will be 300 by the end of the year LOL... :2thumbs:

Well done to everyone in compiling this list for the Ginger-haired stepson's of the Mopar World! :nana:

Happy New Year and C5oo's are COOLIO!!! :notworthy: