News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dash lights

Started by Stegs, January 12, 2015, 02:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

ok guys, wondering if you can help me with something weird that happened

had my car running one day with the parking lights on.....and the dash lights were working (gauges lit up)

2 weeks later , i have no dash lights....? how could they all go bad at once?

im thinking it has to be a fuse right? i can imagine all the bulbs went bad at the same time

where do i find the fuse for the dash lights to check?

could it be something else?

comet_666

I would look at the connectors on the back of the cluster, make sure everything is connected still. Then I would check the fuse block and make sure you do not have a blown fuse anywhere.

XH29N0G

If those don't work, also try the switch.  I think I had a flaky switch that caused similar symptoms. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

tan top

could be the dash dimmer switch  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hard Charger

Dino

2nd gen?  Fuse box is behind the glove box.  Roll the dimmer switch off and on several times if the fuse is good.  If the lights come back on or even just flicker, it's the switch.  Pretty easy to clean up and get working again.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

warpspeed

Don't forget, lost ground somewhere.  I keep my trusting volt meter within easy reach all the time with this lights.

jaak

do the tail lights/parking lights come on? If so, then its more than likely the dimmer wheel. If the tail lights/parking lights do not work, more than likely a bad connection in the light switch.

If the taillights/parking lamps are working, try this bypass and see if your gauges light up. You can leave it like this if you want, you just cant use the wheel to dim the gauge lights.

Jason

VegasCharger

Yes I had the same problem and asked the same question on here when it happened. The majority of the responses was the dimmer switch. These dimmer switches on the 2nd gen rallye cluster b body were notorious for the dimmer switch to fail. So I had mine rebuilt by devinism in Cal. and that cured the problem. Now the next question is how long before it wears out again? I might consider doing the above diagram if it rears its ugly head again. Truthfully with the dimmer switch it really is not a true measure of light distribution. Meaning the wheel rotation starting from the lights off position does not engage any signs of lighting until you get past half way and even then it is very dim until you get to the very brightness setting. And even then it's too dim for my 52 y/o eyes. So I'm going to upgrade to the LED bulbs to enhance the brightness of the dash lights.

Stegs

Quote from: jaak on January 13, 2015, 12:49:41 AM
do the tail lights/parking lights come on? If so, then its more than likely the dimmer wheel. If the tail lights/parking lights do not work, more than likely a bad connection in the light switch.

If the taillights/parking lamps are working, try this bypass and see if your gauges light up. You can leave it like this if you want, you just cant use the wheel to dim the gauge lights.

Jason

when i turn my parking lights on they come on, and the tail lights in the back

Its just my dimmer switch (in the past) worked fine....now I have nothing....

If i can by pass the dimmer switch and just have the dash lights on when ever my lights are on i would be fine with that, as long as it doesnt harm anything on the car

If the dimmer wheel is bad, where can i get another one? classic industries or something?

also, before i start there i will start with the fuse box, where would i find the fuse and what location is it? Id look in my manual but im at work now

jaak

Quote from: Stegs on January 13, 2015, 07:36:10 AM

Jason

If i can by pass the dimmer switch and just have the dash lights on when ever my lights are on i would be fine with that, as long as it doesnt harm anything on the car

If the dimmer wheel is bad, where can i get another one? classic industries or something?

also, before i start there i will start with the fuse box, where would i find the fuse and what location is it? Id look in my manual but im at work now

If it is the dimmer wheel, if you do the bypass in the diagram I drew, if your dash lights come on, then you know the dimmer wheel is the culprit (which is a common problem). You can either replace or have your dimmer wheel rebuilt, or you can leave the bypass. If you leave the bypass, the only thing you can't do is 'dim' the dash lights with the wheel, they stay at the brightest setting all the time. You can still use the wheel to turn on the dome light, but you just can't adjust the intensity of the dash light. I did this bypass a couple of years ago, still haven't gotten around to replacing the dimmer wheel.... not a priority to me.

BTW, what year Charger do you have, I was assuming it is a 2nd gen. If so the fuse box is located in the glove box behind an access in the cardboard lining.The instrument lamp fuse is the one on the far right, take a multimeter set to ohms and touch a lead to each end of the fuse and make sure there is no resistance (but you may be able to see if the fuse is blown because they are glass fuses). If no resistance, do the bypass and see if you gauges light up.

Jason

Stegs

Quote from: jaak on January 13, 2015, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: Stegs on January 13, 2015, 07:36:10 AM

Jason

If it is the dimmer wheel, if you do the bypass in the diagram I drew, if your dash lights come on, then you know the dimmer wheel is the culprit (which is a common problem). You can either replace or have your dimmer wheel rebuilt, or you can leave the bypass. If you leave the bypass, the only thing you can't do is 'dim' the dash lights with the wheel, they stay at the brightest setting all the time. You can still use the wheel to turn on the dome light, but you just can't adjust the intensity of the dash light. I did this bypass a couple of years ago, still haven't gotten around to replacing the dimmer wheel.... not a priority to me.

BTW, what year Charger do you have, I was assuming it is a 2nd gen. If so the fuse box is located in the glove box behind an access in the cardboard lining.The instrument lamp fuse is the one on the far right, take a multimeter set to ohms and touch a lead to each end of the fuse and make sure there is no resistance (but you may be able to see if the fuse is blown because they are glass fuses). If no resistance, do the bypass and see if you gauges light up.

Jason

yes i do a 2nd gen....I will look into it this week, with barret jackson auction on....i might be working on it during commercials

Ill check the fuse, if not, i will bypass the dimmer switch...im ok with the dash being on all the time...