News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column quick question/help please...

Started by MxRacer855, February 13, 2015, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

What holds this bearing to the steering column netted housing?

When I pulled the column off, the bearing had already fallen out of place and was laying on the seal on the bottom.

Jeff

MxRacer855

fy469rtse

Jeff. See that small hole in the end of column housing , bush sits in that area, short pointed screw , hex head , just tightens in to the plastic bush
I think there's one on each side to hold bushing in place  :2thumbs:

MxRacer855

2 more questions....

1) Is the bottom piece (red arrow) supposed to be fixed or able to rotate freely 60 or 70 degrees before stopping at either side?

2) There's two snap-rings that go on the drive shaft axle (yellow arrow)... where do they go to secure the shaft in the housing? on both sides of the upper bearing?  :shruggy:

Thanks.

Jeff

fy469rtse

Jeff,
theres a good exploded view to be had , which will help, search in threads
? shaft should just continually spin , the only thing that interupts column but dosent stop it spinning is the tang to cancel indicators, but thats not in yet
sorry mate , know i understand
is the top bolted to whats shown in photo ? the two bolts under blinker cam , you leave these loose so they can slide and lock in slots , in what we call the honey pot area, 

fy469rtse

sorry did that make sense
the upper and lower snap rings hold the upper shaft to that bearing in top part of column,
that top part of column is held to that lower area ( honey pot ) by two bolts, square heads, these lock into slots on the inside , have you these in , cant see in photos one on each side under blinker cam
theres been some good threads in the past on these , sorry I'm very ordinary at attaching photo's
it should show in your factory manual as well

MxRacer855

Yeah, both bolts are tightened under the blinker cam.
The top piece is very stationary, but the bottom still rotates a little bit (probably to cancel the turn signal)?  :shruggy:
I'm know the actual steering shaft/axle with the splines on it is supposed to continuously spin. I'm going to install that right now. It just seemed before like the bearing was too thick to put a snap-ring on both sides of it.

I'm going to do that and be back shortly.

Thanks for all of the help! This one is frustrating.  :lol:

:cheers:

Hard Charger

the lower bearing has either 2 or 3 hex head bolts, 2 for a floor shifter and 3 for column I believe.

the top bearing has a clip on either side of the bearing.

the top collar attaches to the top of the "hollow" column shaft with the 2 square head bolts. this is done blindly so you must feel it and then tighten the bolts in the correct position.

the bottom collar does rotate about 320 degrees. there is a bridge inside that restricts it from 360 degrees this binds up with the harness.

MxRacer855

Got it! Thanks you guys!

2 bolts it was (I've got a floor shift).  :2thumbs:

I know it's NOT correctly color coded, but this is what I wanted to do with it.  :cheers:

Powdercoated black frame, Chrysler silver inner tube, and raw/semi-polishes shaft with a clear-coated finish.

Jeff

MxRacer855

:cheers:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MxRacer855

Evelbist

what are those two allen screws holding in the coupler? i dont have those in mine. :-\

MxRacer855

Is the coupler the piece with the splines that inserts into the steering box shaft? If so, they look like allens, but are pins.

Hard Charger

looks great.

you black shaft is different from mine. I have a floor shift manual steering that I changed to power steering.

my guess is that that column was a manual column shifter? but having never having one I am guessing.

MxRacer855

Quote from: Hard Charger on February 16, 2015, 01:08:22 PM
looks great.

you black shaft is different from mine. I have a floor shift manual steering that I changed to power steering.

my guess is that that column was a manual column shifter? but having never having one I am guessing.

To be completely honest, I don't (and wouldn't) know... The couple that previously owned my car and restored it sent me pics of their resto when they first picked it up.
In their pics, it shows both a column and floor shifter.
When I got the car, the column showed no signs of a pre-existing shifter and it was set up only as a floor. The car had manual steering as well (now going to be power, like yours).

I'd be curious to what it really is though. Either way, I'm glad it works fine!  :lol:

Jeff

Hard Charger

I don't believe that column will work. by the look at the length of the central shaft at the steering box coupler it appears to long.

a power steering box is larger hence the column is shorter. there is also a difference in the coupler hole as well. a manual steering coupler has a larger hole.

MxRacer855

I'll find out right now. I have the power rack and pinion in my garage.

MxRacer855

Hard Charger... did I mention that it's NOT an OEM style power steering box and setup?

It's a completely different kit from a company called Reilly Motorsports. It's a full coil over suspension setup with a power rack and pinion.

They supposedly built it to accommodate a manual steering column. I'll post pics.

MxRacer855

This is the power steering setup. The splines work.

This kit was made specifically for a manual steering column.  :cheers:

Jeff

Hard Charger

MxRacer855

Is there anyway that I can test if my signal will release after a turn with the complete column in my hand?

I want to simulate it to make sure it's together correctly and right now when I click the signal down, I can't find anyway to turn it off without pushing the lever back to the neutral position.

I don't think the bottom pice (red arrow in top pic) is on properly... it only rotates a little bit back and forth and doesn't seem to do anything..  :shruggy:

Hard Charger

the bottom collar just sits there looking pretty.

it rotates about 320 degrees.

MxRacer855

I wish I could show you a vid... because mine rotates freely, but definitely stops after only 90 degrees (on the dot).

Does that have anything to do with canceling the turn signal actuator after completing a turn?

Hard Charger

it does rotate freely, about 320 degrees. it also can bind with the wiring harness that goes thru it.

I don't believe it has anything to do with cancelling out the turn signal. I would guess that would be a mechanical function at the top of the column.