News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charge R/T Heater box w/AC Questions - Adhesive

Started by john108, March 14, 2015, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Questions for Heater Box Restoration
The top post for a "1969 B-body A/C - Heater box overhaul ..." has a lot of very good information but my lack of experience causes me to ask additional DETAIL QUESTIONS.

The first group of pictures (10/03/2011) are identical to what I see for my 1968 Charger R/T Heater Box, with A/C.
After that is where my questions start.  The next series of pictures shows the box disassembled.  There is also a statement : "The linkages are fairly complicated, so I don't suggest taking them apart unless absolutely needed".

My problem is where do you start to disassemble some of the linkage so the two halves of the box can be separated??  Some linkage crosses the line between the two halves.  My concern is future assembly and would like not to initally remove more than I have to to separate the halves.  I would appreciate some guidance.  Whether you disconnect linkages or vacuum actuators??  Pictures attached.

john108

OK, Until someone more knowledgeable than myself chimes in, I will proceed with what I can see.
The actuators attach to the AC half of the box.
The Linkage attaches to the Heater side of the box.
It appears that there are 3 nuts that hold the various pieces of linkage to the Heater half.
I am planning to remove those nuts and slide off the linkage, wiring each group of parts together.
If I am correct, the linkage should now travel with the AC half and t he two halves can be separated, I hope.
By the time you read this, the nuts will be off.

john108

With some difficulty, I managed to remove 2 actuators along with the linkages.
Also managed to separate the 2 halves of the heater box.
I figured out the tricks to remove the heater core from its half of the box.

NOW, I am not sure how to proceed with the AC core.  There are 6 or 7 small screws on the box with 1/4 hex heads. 
Not sure if they are what holds the core??

cdr

you are doing just fine,,,remove all the screwws from the box & the evap core will come out,,also the camera is your friend,take lots of pictures as you go.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

john108

john108

Trying to pull the AC evaporator coil.
I removed all small screws.
I can wiggle, rock and move the evap coil but can only move it 1/2 to 1 inch max, when rocking.
I observed that the 2 "drain?" tubes that go through the firewall move along with the coil.
They have a flange on them that is larger than the hole in the box indicating that they (collar) don't pull through but they haven't contacted the body yet.
The service manual didn't mention to take that collar off but on assembly they say to put it on!
Something is stopping it besides the collar??
The collar is frozen on.  May try heat.

What am I missing??? Please.

cdr

yes the collars have to come off,,,wd40 the heck out of them,,treat them gentle.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

john108

Yes
The collars came off.
PB-Blaster and heat on one.
It was not gentle.  Pliers on flange and a lot of back and forth twisting.
I still think something else is stopping it.  I will try again later.

It is now later:  The evap core is out!
The issue holding it in was the internal bracket on the 2 coolant lines got trapped under the insulation.

cdr

:2thumbs:

did you get a rebuild kit for the box??

john108

I have a kit that has seals and insulation($99 Restorick).
The insulation in the heater section looks good.
I don't know whether to rip it out or leave it.
Could be rust under it but I don't think so.

What did you do about the 2 heat exchangers?

cdr

get a new one & the h valve that is connected to it,,Classic ind  has the parts

john108

What ADHESIVE did you use to glue the insulation into the box?
I got the kit from Restorick.  The material is really poor quality relative to the original.

cdr

john108

440:
Thank you for your link.  You have some better pictures than I have been taking.
The rebuild kit I have looks like yours.  I found 2 strip seals for a heater door missing,
(1/4 x 17 inch long), and hope everything else is there for the balance.
It appears that your Heater Core and A/C Evaporator had once been replaced, and didn't do it now.
Mine are original and even if they pass a pressure check, I would worry.
The heater core may be more susceptible to corrosion or blockage and thinking of replacing it.
I am not sure about the Evap core.