News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Happened to GYC ?

Started by ACUDANUT, August 20, 2015, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: timmycharger on January 08, 2016, 11:30:08 AM

Wouldn't that compromise the body lines/accents that the Charger has? Im about to paint mine in a few months with a metallic that already has a reputation for poor coverage (PPG Omni B7 Blue) and was planning about 5 coats, but now Im worried after seeing this.

Your paint jobber can probably give you better advice than the TV show.   Ten coats of anything is a lot of material and money.   Talk to your paint man about spraying the B7 and if there are any tinted  sealers that can help with getting it sprayed to hiding. 

Kern Dog

Car paint isn't latex like house paint. Double the paint isn't going to tighten up the body gaps. We are talking thousandths of a inch here. Mine has 4 coats of color and 6-8 coats of clear before it was sanded and buffed.

RJS

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 01, 2016, 11:13:46 AM
Still staged though , Alyssa stealing the 08 SRT Chally for a joyride ? BS !!!! Last name still Rose , wedding ring on her finger , divorced from Josh ??? Derens old Chally getting restored , sold it to one of Marks clients ????
The 440-6 FC7 Chally they just aired , said going back to East Coast , to Ct . That's where I live , we have a lot of Mopar shows here during the season , will be interesting to see it out at some shows in person , curious to see with my own eyes how nice it is .

The daughter supposedly had a kid already with another guy and Daren's Challenger was sold to a NY guy and GY is restoring it so that is all fact.
Ron

resq302

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 08, 2016, 01:26:48 PM
Car paint isn't latex like house paint. Double the paint isn't going to tighten up the body gaps. We are talking thousandths of a inch here. Mine has 4 coats of color and 6-8 coats of clear before it was sanded and buffed.

Like Aero426 said, most likely the paint supplier can tint the primer so as to use less color coat to cover the car. 

Kern Dog,

You also have to take into account how many layers of clear might get buffed down or wet sanded to get the paint perfectly smooth.  While you start out with 6-8 being applied (at who knows what thickness), you only might end up with 4 left on the paint by the time you are finished wet sanding and buffing.

As far as what GYC turns out product wise, I think people can do a lot better with other restoration companies.  The hand full of times I caught the show before getting extremely turned off by it, I caught him in a bunch of errors and misinformation.  The cars I've seen up close and in person I would have sent back for all the stuff I saw wrong with it but maybe I have higher standards than Mark does.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

timmycharger

Thanks guys. I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I will certainly talk to my paint supply guy about getting the tinted primer before putting on the base coat. I was planning on getting 2 gallons of color for the entire car. The engine bay, trunk area and door jams are already painted, plus the car has a vinyl top.

Charger-Bodie

he said they had 6 gallons of sprayable base! that is alot!!!!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

2592 creston

Quote from: resq302 on January 13, 2016, 08:52:29 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on January 08, 2016, 01:26:48 PM

Like Aero426 said, most likely the paint supplier can tint the primer so as to use less color coat to cover the car.  

Kern Dog,

You also have to take into account how many layers of clear might get buffed down or wet sanded to get the paint perfectly smooth.  While you start out with 6-8 being applied (at who knows what thickness), you only might end up with 4 left on the paint by the time you are finished wet sanding and buffing.

As far as what GYC turns out product wise, I think people can do a lot better with other restoration companies.  The hand full of times I caught the show before getting extremely turned off by it, I caught him in a bunch of errors and misinformation.  The cars I've seen up close and in person I would have sent back for all the stuff I saw wrong with it but maybe I have higher standards than Mark does.

Just curious, which GYC 's have you seen up close and what was so bad you would send it back?

resq302

Quote from: 2592 creston on January 13, 2016, 11:58:00 AM

Just curious, which GYC 's have you seen up close and what was so bad you would send it back?

Well, the most recent one I saw was the red daytona.  Honestly, if I am paying for all that money for a place that touts they are the "best in the world" doing OE restos, there were a bunch of things that were wrong.  I have been lucky enough to have helped a friend of mine work on his daytona so I do know a couple of the particulars when it comes to them.  As for a list of what was incorrect or wrong, well, there was enough wrong to make me think that a generic shop did the work and not a specific Mopar show who claims to know everything and anything about Mopars.  I've probably listed it some place else before so I really don't want to beat a dead horse and the current owner could have / might have fixed those things by now.

The only real advice I can offer is if you decide to use GYC, then please do your homework before you send your car anywhere !  Do some research on your specific car model also, so when you do check on the progress, or do a final inspection on the work, you can bring stuff to the places attention before you "accept delivery" of your car where, then, it might be too late if the shop is not a stand up place.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Aero426

They have done cars built to a price point.   Some have been happy with that they got back for their money.  Others (the green 70 Charger) not, and justifiably so.  

As to the "expert" braggadocio, as someone else on another board pointed out, it's like reading online dating profiles.   He can say whatever he wants.   Up to you to sort it out.  

ACUDANUT

I would send my Mopar else where for a OEM restore. Buzzard Beak refuses to grow up and still disrespects everyone who works for him.  His so called humor is not humor at all.

ECS

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 14, 2016, 04:12:52 AM
I would send my Mopar else where for a OEM restore.....

You're best option for an OEM restoration is to do the research and attempt it yourself.  Some Shops advertise that they do the "best" restoration work but their actions are deceitful regarding those claims.  Below is such an example.  The written commentary and the photos contradict one other.  This particular Shop says that they "mimic" the processes used by the Factory to identify Piston sizes before painting the Engine block.  They assert that they applied the white lettering on the Engine Block before it was painted.  Anyone can clearly see that the letters were applied AFTER it was painted.  Notice the lettering configuration on the Engine Block before paint, versus how they appear after paint.  They painted the letters on the Block prior to spraying it orange, realized that the white lettering was completely covered by the orange color and then repainted them again (over the orange paint) so they would show.

In the picture showing the Block painted, you'll also see that the letters have been transposed.  Before the orange was sprayed they read AABA.  After the orange was applied they read AB??.  (You can't read the last two letters because the steering linkage is in the way.)  They incorrectly manipulated the process!  They wanted the letters to show up so they painted them over the orange Engine paint and then sprayed more orange to lightly cover the white lettering.  The evidence CLEARLY shows this by the fact that you can see solid orange paint around the edges of the white lettering and especially in the small triangle of the "A".  It's impossible for these characteristics to appear as they do when the process is done correctly.  Their commentary claims that they did it just like the Factory did it.......OE correct!  Dishonesty appears to be a consistent theme for certain restoration Shops.

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

maxwellwedge

Troy

Let's not muddy up the thread - I'm pretty sure those pictures are of a car from a different shop. The point is the same of course but maybe information not specific to GYC should be in a different thread.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lukedukem

Did they not show last weeks episode. It was suppose to be part two of creston's 70. I was looking forward to the finial reveal.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

nvrbdn

yep, they showed it. took it to the ball park where Mark threw out the first pitch. awesome car.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House