News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timmycharger's 68 Resto

Started by timmycharger, August 21, 2015, 07:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

timmycharger

Thanks guys!

I put the bumper on which took a long time to get the passenger side right.  The AMD bumper isnt quite perfect.  It took alot of messing around with the brackets to get the gaps to look right and the bumperettes are not quite flush.  
The valance is not quite finished, still have to finish restoring the marker lamps.

timmycharger

:icon_smile_cool:

Baldwinvette77

timmycharger

I got a nice set of vent frames from a member here and tore them down for restoration. I polished out the chrome and stainless then replaced the rubber gasket. I may clean up the old one s and see if the glass sits tighter than with the new one i put in.  I still need to finish the other side since I had to swap the stainless from my old frames since it was dented.   I am now collecting parts to put the side glass in along with the frames.

timmycharger

timmycharger

Dino

Nice!

I replaced my seals a while back as well. I look forward to driving around without having a howling wolf in my ear.   :eek2:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

timmycharger

I restored the parking lamp bases and installed a nice set of used lenses.  Put on an old wheel cover just for the picture, then cleaned it up and hung it on the wall.  

I put in seals for the vertical trim, what a pain in my hands. I used a plastic trim tool to push it in bit by bit.

I also cleaned up the rear channels and installed new felts with the rivets, the old felts were garbage. I then put in the front plastic/felt guides, used the cheaper aftermarket set which were very tight until i carefully spread the channel open slightly. The channel slides easily up and down now, but i plan to spray some lithium grease in the channel when i slide in the glass.

Still waiting for the glass setting tape for the vertical trim, i have everything else ready to go.

69bfan

Mike,
Looks like you got most of the pieces already on the car and put to use.  Glad that things went relatively smooth.  Nice job!!
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Dino

Nice work!

I completely gave up on those vent window slides. They were just too damn tight for power windows no matter what I did so I reverted to some old worn originals.

timmycharger

Quote from: 69bfan on February 25, 2017, 09:20:56 PM
Mike,
Looks like you got most of the pieces already on the car and put to use.  Glad that things went relatively smooth.  Nice job!!

Thank you. Kudos to you for getting them to me before the weekend! Very happy with the quality of the seals so far  :2thumbs:

timmycharger

Quote from: Dino on February 25, 2017, 09:22:41 PM
Nice work!

I completely gave up on those vent window slides. They were just too damn tight for power windows no matter what I did so I reverted to some old worn originals.

Thanks! Oh man I read your post on another thread about your glass, that sucks for sure. I read about guys having the same problem with the aftermarket guides which led me to someone who wrote that they had spread the channel with success so I gave it a go.

Dino

Quote from: timmycharger on February 25, 2017, 09:54:59 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 25, 2017, 09:22:41 PM
Nice work!

Thanks! Oh man I read your post on another thread about your glass, that sucks for sure. I read about guys having the same problem with the aftermarket guides which led me to someone who wrote that they had spread the channel with success so I gave it a go.

I tried it on mine and it helped somewhat, definitely enough for manual cranks, but the power windows are way too sensitive and I didn't want to force the vent rail too much. Besides, I added modern one touch remote modules and they have built in sensors. When the resistance is too great the motors simply shut off, and that's exactly what they did time and time again. The originals are way thinner than these repro slides. I was lucky, Moparsal sent me a few that still had a decent amoun of felt on them and they work as they should. I still have my wanted ad up though because I want spares! This car has to last me another 40 years!   :lol:

Looks like you'll be getting your car ready well before the nice weather comes around, I bet you're itching to go cruising!   :2thumbs:

69bfan

You can still find new original flocked mylar channel runs.  Just be sure that they are in the original packaging.  As i have told others the reproductions have been through three revisions and were too thick and not pliable enough.  The latest runs seem to be much more closer to the original Chrysler pieces.  Also, Mike replaced the lock side channel runs which most people ignore.  They become old and the flocking rubs away and thus there is the added resistance from that side as well. 
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Dino

I'm just not up for taking any more chances with these slides. I wouldn't know how to get the ones that are the best fit as that info is not available when you order any. I've lost well over $100 already and way too much of my time trying to get this to work. The originals aren't as pretty, but once installed you can't see them anyway.

Agreed on the rear channel guides, they are often overlooked.

Charger-Bodie

Lots of graphite and silicone spray. They loosen up some. It's a must to use the original plastic slide clips or sand down new ones.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Yah I did use the original slide clips. The new ones wouldn't even stick together. Oh well problem fixed with the old stuff!

timmycharger

I think i may be ok with my clips, I put in the guide with clip installed about a quarter the way up the channel and it was smooth. I can shave mine down a bit it needed though, good tip.  I was going to use lithium grease but if silicone spray works better, I am all for that.   Yes these clips dont stick together so I used some tape until its time.   Glad to hear that you sorted yours out Dirk. Makes sense with the power windows.

timmycharger

So, testing fitting the slides on the bench was one thing, but actually installing them and trying to use them is another!  I sanded down the plastic pieces before installing them to help them move better, but it did not make a difference because immediately right off the bat I realized I screwed them up.

I trimmed them down too far at the top so the felt didn't go all the way to the very top of the channel, it was about a half inch too small. I thought you had to leave space for felt/slides to fit in the chrome top of the vent window end plug, but I left way too much I guess. I then crunched part of the plastic/felt fighting with it when I installed it on the bench since the stupid clips kept coming apart and falling out which was noted also above. By the time I got it installed, it was pretty mangled and just kept getting worse as I rolled the window up and down.

From there I used that opportunity to mock it all up to ensure other than the stupid channel slides, it will work like it should.  I was able to confirm everything else is good, even got to mess around with the quarter window adjustments, almost have it perfect.

I also installed the weather stripping/seals that go in the drip rail channel.  I am hoping that they are just very new because my door barely closes without giving it a good shove  :brickwall:

So trying to be cheap and stubborn cost me here, I will be biting the bullet on a set of Mopar slides this time around, like I should have in the first place  :brickwall:

Below are some pics of the mock up, It will have to come out again anyway for the slides, but looks good to see it more complete.

Dino

That sucks. I hope you have more luck with the mopar slides. It does look good!

Where's the issue at the drip rail? Is the vent window frame too tight on the seal?

timmycharger

Quote from: Dino on March 06, 2017, 03:39:12 PM
That sucks. I hope you have more luck with the mopar slides. It does look good!

Where's the issue at the drip rail? Is the vent window frame too tight on the seal?

Yup, next time when I read 5x that people had problems, should probably should listen  :yesnod:

Yes, looks like it's very tight along the top of the vent window frame. I only had the allen bolt holding the frame in for the mock up so I am not sure if it's sitting completely like it should yet or when I put in the nut and bolt it may pull it away from the drip rail?  I am using Metro brand seals which came in a master kit I bought.

Dino

Yeah you need the entire assembly bolted in place to make it fit properly. The seals may need to settle a bit as well. Once you have the vent frame in place warm up the seal in that area and close the door. Then let it cool. It may take some time before the seal fits properly but eventually it will AND it will be nice and tight. No more howling wind noise!

timmycharger

Quote from: Dino on March 06, 2017, 03:52:10 PM
Yeah you need the entire assembly bolted in place to make it fit properly. The seals may need to settle a bit as well. Once you have the vent frame in place warm up the seal in that area and close the door. Then let it cool. It may take some time before the seal fits properly but eventually it will AND it will be nice and tight. No more howling wind noise!

Thanks Dirk!!

BLK 68 R/T

Looking good :coolgleamA: I'm getting close to putting door glass in as well so this was a good read on the vent window sliding weatherstrips   :cheers: