News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timmycharger's 68 Resto

Started by timmycharger, August 21, 2015, 07:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on March 08, 2017, 09:35:57 PM
Looking good :coolgleamA: I'm getting close to putting door glass in as well so this was a good read on the vent window sliding weatherstrips   :cheers:

Thank you. I got so much info from this forum on the vent windows and side glass, good luck with yours. :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

green69rt

Quote from: timmycharger on March 09, 2017, 06:28:08 AM
Looking good :coolgleamA: I'm getting close to putting door glass in as well so this was a good read on the vent window sliding weatherstrips   :cheers:

Thank you. I got so much info from this forum on the vent windows and side glass, good luck with yours. :2thumbs:

I book marked this thread so it will be there when I need it.

timmycharger

Quote from: green69rt on March 09, 2017, 11:06:01 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on March 09, 2017, 06:28:08 AM
Looking good :coolgleamA: I'm getting close to putting door glass in as well so this was a good read on the vent window sliding weatherstrips   :cheers:

I book marked this thread so it will be there when I need it.

:cheers: These are the threads I followed. Awesome info in here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=39415.0

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28517.25.html

timmycharger

I just couldn't get the aftermarket door glass slides to work for me. After trashing the drivers side, I didn't bother trying to do the passenger side so I have that lying around if anyone wants it.  Maybe the AMD glass is too thick for it to work.   Got a set of Mopar slides (thanks Richard!) and below are the side by side comparisons of what they look like.  The Mopar slides were much better, the plastic pieces fit better and it had a nice curve that matched the glass.  

I had my wife help me put in the glass assemblies, not trying that alone which went in fine, but I had a long battle getting them to fit into the pin and sink in just right. I then had a big battle with the vent trying to get the angle of the glass to sit right on the seal.  I have it very close now, I just have to play with the quarter glass a bit once the rear seat is out.  The doors are very tight, not as bad as before but still snug around the top of the vent frame. I will try what Dirk suggested earlier and warm it up a bit.

I restored the wipers, popped them on with a new set blades. I polished them a little brighter than stock, but I like the look.  

timmycharger

I ordered new wheels since my last set of magnums got ruined in storage but only the rears came so far, 15 X 8.   I will probably end up going with BF Goodrich T/As like I had before, 275/60 in the back, probably 235/60 in the front, but I am not sure still.

Below is my next adventure, I have to repair the upper pads as I see a few minor cracks that will need to be filled, then they will need to be dyed. I will be using the SEM system again as I had great luck before with the visors.  I started putting in the felt sweeps in the door, I decided to do it after the fact since I thought they would get chewed up when I was trying to get the vent frame in.  I got the chrome one in already in the door, but having a difficult time with the inner one.

Dino

The wiper arms look great! I've thought about doing that myself.   :yesnod:

Those straight slides are useless. I still have one as well but it's going in the trash. I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy.   :lol:

Does the window roll up and down as smooth as with the original slides?

I have some of those cracks in my upper pads as well. That and one of them has a chunk missing under the vent window handle. You should be able to fill the cracks up nicely with some vinyl repair glue/putty. Mask of the surrounding area as best as you can so all you see is the crack or you may end up filling in some of the texture and end up with a "bald spot" after you paint it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

timmycharger

Thanks! Yes, the glass moves up and down pretty easily but do have some resistance with the door felts / sweeps  installed, I think it will free up more over time.  I sprayed some silicone down the channels to help it out. 

I bought myself one of those vinyl repair kits that come with swatches of material to make simulated textures so that should help out with hiding the repairs a bit.  These things are stupid expensive so I will be doing what I can to save mine.

Dino

Any progress? I'm like an addict here!   :eek2:   :lol:

timmycharger

haha I'm the same way with several threads on this forum!!

Not really any progress, I get only 1 day a week out in the garage to get work done hence my super slow pace  :rotz:

I have been soaking the ends of the upper bolster pads in evaporust since they were rusty on the back of each end for some reason, they are looking good. This weekend I will be putting in all of the "fuzzies"/sweeps and then starting on the bolster pad vinyl repairs.  I will also get started on sealing off the doors as all of the hardware is in there and I have all of the plugs/seals etc to put on still.

thanks for the interest!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Dino

Hay progress is progress! Mine is so slow I actually think the car is starting to lose parts as it sits!   :lol:

timmycharger

Quote from: Dino on March 23, 2017, 07:46:21 AM
Hay progress is progress! Mine is so slow I actually think the car is starting to lose parts as it sits!   :lol:

:lol:  oh man, you will get there!!

Dino

Quote from: timmycharger on March 23, 2017, 08:15:20 AM
Quote from: Dino on March 23, 2017, 07:46:21 AM

:lol:  oh man, you will get there!!

Bit by bit and piece by piece!   :2thumbs:

timmycharger

Lots of work done on Saturday, nothing much to show for it though  :scratchchin:

I had to touch up the black on the inside of the doors since it got pretty beat up over the last few years since I sprayed them. I will now be able to finish the door seals next week once the black has dried, along with putting in all of the body plugs and bumpers on the inside of the doors.  

I did finalize everything inside the door, the glass is adjusted and mechanisms greased. the latch is now working properly even though I never found the proper clips that go there. See the pic below, I ended up enlarging the hole on each door mechanism latch lever so it would accept a standard plastic rod clip just like the door knob. Everything now works great.

I polished the last of the chrome trim, which are the 4 pieces that are in the interior, I can now put away my buffing wheel!  Next week I will spray the dye on the upper pads, I scrubbed them and removed the old fuzzies on the rear part, what a pain to remove those staples. I will probably pop rivet the new ones on.  I just need to fill some minor cracks this week before dying them this weekend.

timmycharger

I repaired some cracks on the upper pads and dyed them with the SEM satin black. I removed the medallions since I had better ones to swap out, made it easier as no taping.  They are ok but not perfect since they were my old ones that were driver quality to begin with. I will keep my eye out for another set next year, for now these will do.   I trimmed out the door with the new seals, rubber pieces and plugs.  I put on the Year One panels after cutting everything out first, copying my old panel.

I saved the chrome squares from my old door panels and used weatherstrip adhesive to glue them on to the new ones. Everything fit pretty well, I am happy with the look overall, but I hope those seals loosen up a bit, the doors are very hard to close right now, especially with the lower door seals in place.

For the rear pads, I ended up drilling holes and using rivets to hold the new fuzzies.

Next week I will be getting my wheels/tires mounted and putting on the K frame and inner fender shields.  :2thumbs:

timmycharger

:icon_smile_cool:

timmycharger

Not sure about how this seal is supposed to sit. Do I cut the end of the door seal or let the rubber "end cap" overlap it?

birdsandbees

NICE!!!!!  :yesnod:

What did you use to "repair the cracks"???
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

timmycharger

First I bought a vinyl repair kit by Loctite that was heat free, but the activator was a solid block so I returned it to the store. Since the cracks were more like slivers, I just got some vinyl adhesive and a needle and used a little bit to keep the cracks from getting worse. I should have taken some pics but I was in the heat of the battle haha..

birdsandbees

Thanks.. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow. Believe the door seal was trimmed back and the end cap bonded over top.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

birdsandbees

Found a picture... mines a coupe, but shouldn't matter. Cap over door seal. Will check tomorrow if it's bonded.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

69bfan

The end cap is not bonded to the door seal.  It simply lays over the top of the door seal.  For some reason, that end cap looks strange in the fashion that it is wanting to sit on top of the door seal. 
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

birdsandbees

Better shots of mine Tim, finger pointing where we trimmed the door seal down a bit so the hump in the end cap and it blend smoothly. Not bonded....

Again mine is a coupe, but I still need to make a notch for the window width on the cap, as the repro came without same.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

timmycharger

Perfect! thank you for the pics, very helpful!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:

timmycharger

Quote from: 69bfan on April 01, 2017, 08:08:20 PM
The end cap is not bonded to the door seal.  It simply lays over the top of the door seal.  For some reason, that end cap looks strange in the fashion that it is wanting to sit on top of the door seal. 

Thank you!