News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd gen and E-body seat question

Started by Ghoste, October 02, 2015, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Are E-body seats the same as the ones in 3rd gen Chargers? (other than upholstery of course).  Are 71 and 72 seats different?  I'm wondering about hinge covers to be exact.

Alaskan_TA

1970 A, B & E body bucket seat frames with the separate hinge covers are all the same & they were used part way into the 1971 model year.

The new '71 style with the smaller release button continued over into some time in 1972, but the foam inner springs & steel back frames were changed also.

You would need the correct foam for your application too.

If you are not sure what you have, post some photos including the hinge area from the side.

Ghoste

My main concern is trying to find seat hinge covers for a 1970 E-body.  What interchanges?

Alaskan_TA

1970 & early 1971 A, B & E bucket seats all used the same hinge covers.

I do not have any complete sets, but I do have some spares, buttons too.

ODZKing

Unless I am understanding this incorrectly, there are no hinge covers for 71-74 seats.  It is part of the seat back cover.   :scratchchin:

Alaskan_TA

About mid-1971 model year, the hinge covers were molded into the backs & a new, smaller button was used. The bucket seat frame backs were changed as part of the newer system.

Ghoste

So in the YO catalog where they list a hinge cover for 71-74 E-body, it's incorrect, it should be for 70-71?

ODZKing

This is an interesting thread, I'm finding 3 styles as was mentioned. I'm not sure if the first one is correct seats for a Chally.

Ghoste

The third one looks llike the ones I'm trying to replace (they're broken, all 4 of them with the piece that covers bolt holding the seatback on missing).  The ones in the YO catalog look more like the 1st photo.

Alaskan_TA

You seem to be describing two different versions, got a photo of what you have?

Top photo - not stock for any year Challenger.

Middle photo - 1970 & early 1971 (removable hinge covers, separate back,  long button)

Bottom photo - mid-1971 up. (hinge covers all one piece with back, short button)

Ghoste

I can on Monday but mostly what I'm dealing with is a mutt so who knows what I'm actually trying to find.  :lol:

ODZKing

Nacho-RT74

don't get the one being sold by windy_city one, is PALCO... get the one from 521 restorations which is the one made correctly. Correct look and shape ( screw seats and all )

Don't ask how I know it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html