News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator upgrade

Started by Alan73Charger, December 06, 2015, 10:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

Hey guys,

I'm replacing a fuel pump and it looks like the alternator is going to have to come out or at least be moved out of the way to reach the bolts.  I figured this might be a good time to upgrade what I assume is the original alternator.  Does anyone know if this would of been a 60 or a 78amp?  I think a 78 amp since my car has air and the alternator has two pulleys. It looks like I have a 78amp and 100amp available on Classic Industries.  No major plans that would require more power other than replacing the non working original AM radio with one of those USA-630's and adding a couple speakers in the rear.  Would u just keep the original in there or upgrade?  And if upgrading go with the 78amp?  Anyone done any upgrades to the alternator that they could share?

Thanks
Alan
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

1973rallye

If the one you have can handle everything you are running I would suggest having it rebuilt. Getting a replacement that is not exactly the same size may present problems in attempting to mount it on the original brackets. At least that's one of the issues I had in attempting to put a bigger alternator in my big block car.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

Pete in NH

Hi,

The original alternator was a 60 amp unit and I would keep it. Going to a larger unit is going to put a real strain on the original wiring harness and bulk head connector pins. 40 + year-old wiring and big alternators are a recipe for bad things happening in terms of burnt wiring and loosing a car to a fire.

Nacho-RT74

doing te propper job ( without any big hack job ), you can put in a thousand amps alt if you want.

The best you can do is try to get an alt able to source 55-60 amps ( maybe even 50 amps ) IDDLING in case the car requires that. No matter the max output but iddling

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Alan73Charger

That's what I needed to know.  I'm having the original one rebuilt.  Should get it back in a day or two.  Thanks!

Quote from: Pete in NH on December 06, 2015, 02:40:06 PM
Hi,

The original alternator was a 60 amp unit and I would keep it. Going to a larger unit is going to put a real strain on the original wiring harness and bulk head connector pins. 40 + year-old wiring and big alternators are a recipe for bad things happening in terms of burnt wiring and loosing a car to a fire.
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!