News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Instrument Cluster Bezel Refinishing Question

Started by ChargerRT69, December 22, 2015, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT69

Continuing to plug along on fixing and restoring my 69 Charger R/T, but am looking for tips, tricks and helpful hints or advice on how to proceed with the 5 piece bezel. As you can see in the picture, the instrument cluster bezel needs some help. What have DIY guys done with out spending hundreds of dollars to restore it back to original. The chrome is flaking off in places and the black definitely needs to be repainted. I appreciate any advice/tips/tricks/hints that anyone can send my way to help me try and get through this restoration. I have the boards coming to rebuild the tic-toc-tac (quartz clock and MSD compatible tach board). I have Performance Car Graphics send the refacing decals and some lens/gaskets for the brake and turn signals. The bezel is what is stumping me!

Thanks in advance!

timmycharger

ChargerRT69

Wow this is an great link! Appreciate the point in direction!

I would not have thought of easy off to help strip the bezel.

Thanks

Dino

Ah yeas that was a fun winter project!   :yesnod:

Did you make any progress?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ChargerRT69

Just some updates on my progress.....

The Easy Off over cleaner really works great!!!

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Dino on December 29, 2015, 10:27:27 PM
Ah yeas that was a fun winter project!   :yesnod:

Did you make any progress?

Dino, Question on when you refinished you bezel....  did you paint the black first (main face) and then the do the chrome trim (Gloss black and then chrome)?

How is the Alclad working and holding up? I am looking at maybe trying to get the Spaz Stix off of Amazon since it appears to have better reviews for lasting. Also did you clear coat yours and if you did what did you use?

Thanks in advance!!!   :2thumbs:

Dino

I can't remember what I did first but I think I did it backwards as I was testing and it turned out good.  I'd probably do the chrome first as it's easier to mask later on, bit it's a personal preference really.  Either way will work.  Try some masking and see what works for you.

The Alclad is touchy, meaning you really can't touch it much.  The chrome looks the same as the day I painted it but I've removed the cluster so many times that it's starting to wear in one or two spots.  I did not clear it as it would turn the chrome to shiny silver.  Spaz was my first choice but at the time I couldn't find it anywhere.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Dino on December 30, 2015, 12:41:50 PM
I can't remember what I did first but I think I did it backwards as I was testing and it turned out good.  I'd probably do the chrome first as it's easier to mask later on, bit it's a personal preference really.  Either way will work.  Try some masking and see what works for you.

The Alclad is touchy, meaning you really can't touch it much.  The chrome looks the same as the day I painted it but I've removed the cluster so many times that it's starting to wear in one or two spots.  I did not clear it as it would turn the chrome to shiny silver.  Spaz was my first choice but at the time I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks for the input and if anyone else there has some tip and tricks or wants to give their 2 cents, I am all open to feedback!

TexasStroker

Not sure what your personal taste is, but I honestly prefer a silver sharpie for the trim rings.  That is very easy.  Not for everyone, but I like it.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!