News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA NOSE INSTALL, STINGER

Started by daytonalo, April 08, 2006, 02:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

WELL MOVING AHEAD, SOMEWHAT ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS A MATTER OF BOLT A NOSE AND WING AND YOUR DONE WAKE THE F- UP . I WORK ON THIS CAR 60 HRS A WEEK AND IT FEELS LIKE THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME . OK THIS IS A STINGER NOSE THAT IN NO WAY HAS THE SAME COUNTOUR AS MY FRONT CLIP , THEREFORE I HAD TO CUT THE NOSE ON THE SIDES AND SPREAD IT OUT TO LINE UP WITH FENDERS , THEN REGLASS IT . I MADE A FIXTURE THAT LOCKS INTO THE NOSE AND HAS A PIN TO FIT IN MY FLOORJACK . I TOOK MIKE G ADVICE AND ELIMINATED THE FENDER TO NOSE SEALS IN FAVOR OF A 3/16 GAP INSTEAD . LARRY

daytonalo

MORE PIX

Howie

That is a lot of work but in the end it will be worth it. I like the enginuity on the lifting fixture. Thanks for posting the pictures.
                                                                                                                                                            Howard

Beep Beep Dave

Great pics! Keep up the good work!!!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Troy

I am continually amazed at the work you're doing. I sincerely hope that others appreciate your ideas and instructions. I doubt that I'll ever tackle a project like that but I love the pictures and watching the progress.

:thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

THANK YOU TROY , I JUST WANT TO HELP IN ANY WAY , AND SHARE SOME OF THE SHORTCUTS AND HOPEFULLY THE NEXT GUY WILL HAVE IT EASIER . I WENT INTO THIS PROJECT NOT KNOWING A THING , BUT WITH THE HELP OF THIS BOARD[ THANKS TROY ] I HAVE PICKED UP MANY USEFULL TIPS . I WANT TO THANK DANE , MIKE G , DAVE B , LARRY [ HOT-ROD , AND RENE FOR SHARING GREAT INFO AND PUTTING ME ON MY WAY !  LARRY

dads_69

Again, thanks for the photos. They will be very helpfull in my clone build real soon. I hope to be were you are with nose fitment by mid summer and cross my fingers that I'll maybe, just maybe have the hole car in primer before winter if not painted.
Awesome work your doing Larry.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

THANK YOU , I NEED TO WALK AWAY FROM THIS PROJECT FOR A WHILE I'M LOSING MY MIND !

nakita7

chargervert

Hey Daytonalo,your labor is really starting to pay off! It really looks like it is coming together! I give you kudos,for showing these guys that a functional,and affordable Daytona can be achieved,if you want to put the effort in to making all the parts work together! As far as the nosecone not fitting the fenders,some of the other vendors that make the cones,the fit is much better,but they also cost more money!Nice work!

BigBlockSam

nice! it's looking great. thats alot of work. i like the wood craddle you made to install it. very cool and impressive. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

I HAD TO GO WITH A STINGER NOSE , THEY ARE THEY ONLY COMPANY MAKING PARTS RIGHT NOW . I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A JANEK NOSE NOSE HE TOLD ME AROUND 8 MONTHS AND IF I WANTED IT IN A MONTH ADD 4500 ON TOP OF 7500 !, F - THAT. IF MIKE DESIDES TO LAY UP MORE PARTS I WILL BUY FROM HIM , HE HAS GONE OUT OF HIS WAY AND I THINK HE LIKED  OF MY IDEAS UNLIKE THE OTHER GUY WHO SPEAKS TO YOU LIKE YOUR A JACKASS[ SORRY DAVE ] BUT TALK TO HIM FOR FIVE MINUTES AND HE MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE ONE OF JERRY'S KIDS ! I MAY BE NEW TO BUILDING A DAYTONA BUT HAVE COMPLETED FAR MORE DIFFICULT PROJECTS IN THE PAST  LARRY

chargervert

Hey Daytonalo,I think you have done a great job,working with the parts you had,and making them work! Mike,Gary,and myself,have always tried to help you guys out,sometimes my comments are not well recived,but I am trying to steer people in the right direction,I have done this both ways,and I am just trying to save you guys some greif. Thats why when I say this part will work,and that part won't,I'm not just blowin smoke! As far as that other vendor you speak of,I have had my problems with him,but I said that I would let it go,and I have,but atleast people are finding out its not just me! Your car is really coming along!

Daytona313

Great work!

I would love to see photos of what you built to open the head light doors. I know you used GTO actuators but I'd love to see what holds the doors.

hemi68charger

Excellent !!! very nice work !!!!!!!

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

Nice work Larry your making considerable progress from where you where before
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

THANKS DAVE , STOP OVER I'M IN THE GARAGE EVERY NIGHT UNTIL 3 AM !

Old Moparz

Okay, I'll get on the band wagon for the ride. Thanks a ton for posting the photos, & like others have said, I love the wooden cradle you made to mount the cone. I haven't been far enough along in thought to wonder how I'd position it, but it looks like I'll be putting my carpentry skills to work & make a cradle like yours. I think I may even start to back up all the photos on this forum to a disc so I know they won't go anywhere.

If I wasn't able to get the Janek nose I have from someone who bailed out on their project, I'd probably would've went with the Stinger last year. Hopefully you will get your fitment problem taken care of, & I hope I don't run into a similar issue with mine. Knowing what can go wrong is good because discovering surprises that aren't welcome always suck. If you have an idea of what to expect going into it, it's not as tough to tackle.

When I posted about the troubles I went through to get a repro Cuda grille, I was hoping to let people know what they can expect if they ordered one. The same guy is doing Charger grilles, so I would expect to see people posting in the future about how the grille is broken, how it took months & months to get, etc. Anytime someone can post negative & positive info on the forum it can only help out in the end, even if it alerts the next person to what they can expect.

Thanks again, Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

daytonalo

DON'T GET ME WRONG ,I'M HAPPY WITH THE STINGER KIT , I THINK ANY KIT WILL NEED SLIGHT CONTOURING TO MAKE PERFECT. I DID FIBERGLASS WORK FOR TEN YEARS SO ITS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL .    LARRY

nascarxx29

Its working out for you .As your talented with projects

70daytonaclone

OK wow thats nice work. I was wondering if these parts come with any kind of assembly directions? anything ? I am considering a Stinger kit myself but haven't found enough "How To" material yet.. Nice job, any before body work photos? Stephen

daytonalo

GOOD LUCK I RE-ENGINERED THE WHOLE KIT , GO LOOK AT MY POSTS IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS  TO SEE WHAT I WENT THROUGH . I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO ASSEMBLE THE STINGER NOSE BY A FEW GUY'S , AND I MIGHT DO THAT FOR AROUND 2500 . AS FAR AS WHAT YOU GET WITH STINGER KIT , YOU IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE HEADLIGHTS WORK AS ORIG OR HANG THE NOSE ON THE SUPPLIED FIBERGLASS Z BRACKETS . WHEN YOU GIVE UP LET ME KNOW .   LARRY

nascarxx29

I hope it all works out for you with the stinger parts .As you remember another vendor friend of mine a  professional  engine builder .Had you waiting.You could have went elsewhere .But you choose to stay with his well known reputation in his field .And you netted a 2nd place trophy in a championship off shore boat race.Ive know and trusted my fiberglass friend close to 28 years and counting

daytonalo

DAVE , TAKE IT EASY , I'M SURE HE IS OK AS A FRIEND BUT F- THE WAIT AND PRICE AND THE  SOUTHERN MENTALITY . ALL I KNOW IS I SPENT 5 GRAND LESS , HAD IT IN A WEEK AND  BUILT MY HEMI WITH THE MONEY I SAVED . ONE THING YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER HE DIDN'T INVENT FIBERGLASS !

nascarxx29

No offense taken Larry.I know he didnt invent fiberglass but he was one of a very few.That offered these parts early on by taking molds off his own cars and parts out of just pure necessity.As there was no real market and few vendors in this area early on back in the day.As these parts are a way of business like today.And later recieved my low mileage wrecked superbird as a donor for the superbird line of parts in the 80-s.Way before the wingcar hobby went through the roof.And the parts got such in demand..He would loan me for duplication.Wingcar parts.I would take to work .And get us made for his clone.Or one of my cars.Always been good to me .As how the business runs and parts orders and distrubition prices and turn around time .I have no say in that area. I do know the stuff Ive gotten and put on certain cars.Hes worked out for me.Daytonalo you seen and rode in that original 440 4 speed daytona.That had a very early line of parts on it and still no trouble as seen below in the before retro 78 picture.And its current corrected condition.I did here in the driveway.And the materials used in today fiberglass construction is even better.Of that used years before