News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5 pin ECU, 4 pin ballast resistor, MSD 8200 coil

Started by AWSOM50, April 06, 2016, 05:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

I am replacing my old coil with an MSD 8200.  I have points at the moment, so I need to use a ballast resistor.  The one that came with the coil is 0.8 ohms.

Do I just connect up the MSD 0.8 ohm resistor in series to the other ballast resistor?  Or just use it with the standard 4 pin ballast resistor already on the car?

Or can I somehow remove the 4 pin ballast and rewire it with the 2 pin?  I read that a 5 pin ECU MUST use a 4 pin ballast resistor, but then I can't use the MSD one.  Unless I put it in series and have 2 resistors?

Thanks
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

AWSOM50

Another silly question...  I have an MSD 8456.  Is my system points or electronic?  :brickwall:

'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

John_Kunkel

MSD 8456 is a Ford distributor.

Judging by the number of wires, whatever it is it's electronic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AWSOM50

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 06, 2016, 03:20:13 PM
MSD 8456 is a Ford distributor.

Judging by the number of wires, whatever it is it's electronic.

My bad, its an MSD 8546 (not 8456).

If it's electronic, I don't need the MSD ballast resistor in right?

Thanks
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

crj1968

MSD Pro-Billet Chrysler V8 Distributor
PN 8545 - 383, 400
PN 8546 - 426, 440

Note: An MSD Ignition Control is required to use these distributors.

--------------

Looks like you'll need an MSD box to use that distributor (its electronic). (Like a 6AL )

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-8546.pdf

Ballast is not required for an MSD box, but is for a mopar ECU.

Not sure what you mean by an MSD ballast? Did some sort of ballast come with that distributor/coil ?  If you look at the wiring instructions for that distributor in the link above, there is no ballast in the circuit.  

If everything is working and someone wired up that distributor to a Mopar ECU (which I would think would work) then replacing the coil should be no big deal.

Nacho-RT74

magnetic trigger system... you can use whichever electronic ignition with it, stock replacement, MP, Rev-N-Nator, FBO, or any multispark discharge system.

Multispark systems ( whichever brand you choose, not just MSD ) doesn't require Resistors, The rest yes.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AWSOM50

Quote from: crj1968 on April 11, 2016, 01:39:10 PM
MSD Pro-Billet Chrysler V8 Distributor
PN 8545 - 383, 400
PN 8546 - 426, 440

Note: An MSD Ignition Control is required to use these distributors.

--------------

Looks like you'll need an MSD box to use that distributor (its electronic). (Like a 6AL )

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-8546.pdf

Ballast is not required for an MSD box, but is for a mopar ECU.

Not sure what you mean by an MSD ballast? Did some sort of ballast come with that distributor/coil ?  If you look at the wiring instructions for that distributor in the link above, there is no ballast in the circuit.  

If everything is working and someone wired up that distributor to a Mopar ECU (which I would think would work) then replacing the coil should be no big deal.

Thanks, I understand this all a bit more now.  I have a Mopar ECU with the 4 point ballast rigged up to the HEI distributor and it seems to work OK.  The coil came with a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor which is why I was confused, but I realised that putting this in series this would add to make 2 ohms with the stock ballast (which is 1.2 I think), so I am using it at the 1.2 ohm stock ballast until I get an MSD box which I plan to do after sorting other issues.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie