News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New "Bad" parts... Grrrrr

Started by AKcharger, April 14, 2016, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdsandbees

I'll third or 4th that Jamie is outstanding. Even credits you for some of the shipping after he gets the final packaged weighed up and posted! One of about 3 on Ebay.. out of 100's.. that has ever been this honest!  :yesnod: In fact I have been tracking my latest package from him and the mail man should be bringing it to the door within the hour!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

VegasCharger

Plain and simple, YearOne flat out sucks!!!!!

Been done with them for over a year+ now. But they will never go out of business even though customers are falling by the wayside because they're tired of their crap. Too big and massive that they can get away with treating their customers like SH~T! And with their BS advice they give on the crappy parts they sell. Even knowing about them but yet ship them out anyways.

FU YearOne and your F your 30% off and then spike the shipping charges to make up for the discount.

moparnation74

:2thumbs:
Quote from: VegasCharger on November 14, 2016, 05:08:17 PM
Plain and simple, YearOne flat out sucks!!!!!

Been done with them for over a year+ now. But they will never go out of business even though customers are falling by the wayside because they're tired of their crap. Too big and massive that they can get away with treating their customers like SH~T! And with their BS advice they give on the crappy parts they sell. Even knowing about them but yet ship them out anyways.

FU YearOne and your F your 30% off and then spike the shipping charges to make up for the discount.
:2thumbs:

Mike DC

People have been making the same complaints about YO for literally decades.  They're making too much money to change.

AKcharger

Well some good news, after the 4th "New" hood actuator went bad I bought an original 46 year old part that works fine...so problem solved there

Latest Rant....the 8 month old "brand new Ramcharger/airgrabber Switch is now leaking internally and bad...MAYBE 2 hours or running time on it, TOPS!

timmycharger

I know its an old thread but I thought I would add a few more examples to this thread after my recent experiences.

1.  AMD glass - I have their rear glass, side glass and quarter window glass.  The glass is a great alternative to my old, scratched ones, but they are far from perfect.  It is not as noticeable on the rear glass, but on the quarter glass and side glass, the edges are not finished well. The top edge is very wavy when you look at it from a side angle, this is the case on all the pieces I have from them.  Seems like they were not cut cleanly.  The quarter glass is a few years old, but I just got the side glass. 

2. AMD bumpers - I bought both the front and rear AMD bumpers, after getting a ridiculous quote to re chrome my original bumpers, around $800 each or so, I went with the aftermarket ones, about $750 a pair shipped.  Overall, they look nice at first glance, but if you look closely, the chrome is a bit distorted in a few areas and the bumperettes do not sit anywhere close to flush.  I had to bend the tabs on the bottom of the bumperettes to  get them to sit correctly to the bracket below.

I know I should be happy that the aftermarket parts are available, however for the $ that this costs, close to $1500 combined, I was expecting a bit better I guess.

then there is the issue of the trim.. windshield trim didn't fit for crap on the lower front corners, rear tail light panel trim was not bent in the correct shape.. I could go on. Some day I will replace that crap with original stuff, it is just not important enough right now for me to bother, I want to drive this thing.  :yesnod:

Lennard

Great information, thanks.  :2thumbs:
Amazing that with all the laser precision robots and computerized machines nowadays they can't make products of the same quality or better than almost 50 years ago.

cbrestorations

i wonder if china complains about american made products..."damn toopid mericans, why dey parts line up white, now i fix car to line up wid part"

Kern Dog

Yeah...Thats how all the Chinamen I know sound to me.    :smilielol:

AKcharger

Quote from: Lennard on March 09, 2017, 01:01:34 PM
...Amazing that with all the laser precision robots and computerized machines nowadays they can't make products of the same quality or better than almost 50 years ago.

that's actually a good point!

Mike DC

It's the quality control. 

Just like new car quality.  We act like it's a statement about American engineering when people don't want to buy American cars?  No it isn't. It's just corporate bean-counting that makes the difference.  It's a choice at some level. 

darbgnik

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 14, 2017, 12:08:24 PM

Just like new car quality.  We act like it's a statement about American engineering when people don't want to buy American cars?  No it isn't. It's just corporate bean-counting that makes the difference.  It's a choice at some level. 

Being a Canadian, I feel I can comment on this topic, without patriotism or pride influencing me. Anyone who thinks the US can't build quality cars is delusional at best. Lets be honest, most US cars with a sub $20K price tag are driven to the junk yard, whereas a lot of European cars of much higher price tags get let go due to high cost gremlins. BMW and Rover come to mind. Where American cars really dropped the ball in the recent past was interior quality, not because they couldn't be made as well as the competition, but that execs gambled wrong on the premise that Americans wouldn't pay the extra for nicer finishes..... This folly has been all but reversed in recent years, but that shady past has influenced people's opinion on the competition being of higher quality, even to this day.

But it seems to me, Made In The USA is still the seal of quality to look for when it comes to tools, most in my box have that on them.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

Thank you, Brad.
Of course....My 2015 Challenger is built in Brampton!

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AKcharger on April 15, 2016, 08:57:03 PM
What is REALLY annoying is I'll pay for quality parts. the old say "you get what you pay for" is true but seems we pay a premium for parts and often get 3rd rate crap

What's really annoying to me is the people in here that say there is nothing wrong with cheap aftermarket parts, The problem is not the parts but the people who don't know how to install them right :brickwall: :shruggy: :slap:

alfaitalia

Quote from: darbgnik on March 14, 2017, 02:50:47 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 14, 2017, 12:08:24 PM

Being a Canadian, I feel I can comment on this topic, without patriotism or pride influencing me. Anyone who thinks the US can't build quality cars is delusional at best. Lets be honest, most US cars with a sub $20K price tag are driven to the junk yard, whereas a lot of European cars of much higher price tags get let go due to high cost gremlins. BMW and Rover come to mind. Where American cars really dropped the ball in the recent past was interior quality, not because they couldn't be made as well as the competition, but that execs gambled wrong on the premise that Americans wouldn't pay the extra for nicer finishes..... This folly has been all but reversed in recent years, but that shady past has influenced people's opinion on the competition being of higher quality, even to this day.

But it seems to me, Made In The USA is still the seal of quality to look for when it comes to tools, most in my box have that on them.

Quite funny that you mention Rover and BMW in the same sentence....no one in the UK would have even considered a Rover if they could have afforded a BMW...Even as a Brit I would say that Rovers were horrible cars with terrible build quality. BMW on the other hand did and do build some of the worlds best cars......probably why Rover went  bust years ago....and good riddance!

US built cars do not have a great rep in Europe....which is why you hardly see them....very few are imported. Jeep and the Chrysler 300c being the exceptions. Jeeps are great and well built and the 300c was a Merc underneath and well priced....and then they built a new one....oh dear...the previous one had a good, almost Bentley style look to it....but the new one was typical US style...ugly (IMO of course!)....and now they hardly sell any and will probably stop importing them.

What stops US cars selling here is their rep for being designed for straight roads and being far softer and wallowy with excessive roll that Euro drivers don't like....we like sharper handling, stiffer and better damped cars. Also the US public has a different view of what makes a pretty car than us Europeans....which is fine...each to their own.....but it stop them being bought in. And the US style interiors....which are def an acquired taste. They are selling a few US style Mustang's at the Fords dealers in the UK (two year wait for one)....but that's a niche car and the exception rather than the rule.

So basically I don't thing we have an issue with you built quality...although the first few years of US built Mercedes where terrible quality compared to the German ones!!..... its the looks and handling that hold them back.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

darbgnik

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 15, 2017, 12:12:50 PM

Quite funny that you mention Rover and BMW in the same sentence....no one in the UK would have even considered a Rover if they could have afforded a BMW...Even as a Brit I would say that Rovers were horrible cars with terrible build quality. BMW on the other hand did and do build some of the worlds best cars......probably why Rover went  bust years ago....and good riddance!

US built cars do not have a great rep in Europe....which is why you hardly see them....very few are imported. Jeep and the Chrysler 300c being the exceptions. Jeeps are great and well built and the 300c was a Merc underneath and well priced....and then they built a new one....oh dear...the previous one had a good, almost Bentley style look to it....but the new one was typical US style...ugly (IMO of course!)....and now they hardly sell any and will probably stop importing them.

What stops US cars selling here is their rep for being designed for straight roads and being far softer and wallowy with excessive roll that Euro drivers don't like....we like sharper handling, stiffer and better damped cars. Also the US public has a different view of what makes a pretty car than us Europeans....which is fine...each to their own.....but it stop them being bought in. And the US style interiors....which are def an acquired taste. They are selling a few US style Mustang's at the Fords dealers in the UK (two year wait for one)....but that's a niche car and the exception rather than the rule.

So basically I don't thing we have an issue with you built quality...although the first few years of US built Mercedes where terrible quality compared to the German ones!!..... its the looks and handling that hold them back.

It's funny you picked that comparison, as the 2000ish Range Rovers(BMW owned era) were basically rebodied BMW X5's and were the worst one they ever made(for most expensive repairs). Electrical gremlins, poor driveline design that eats differentials, weak transmissions, you know, all the BMW parts.... Hahaha. My poor mother owned one, worst vehicle anyone in our family ever owned. BMW's are still known for electrical gremlins, and leaky air suspensions on this side of the pond. V10 engines in M6 and M5's grenading. I wouldn't mention them and Merc in the same sentence these days. Full disclosure, I agree when they were Daimler Chrysler, Merc quality took a hit for a few years.....

Which is too bad, BMW makes some really great driver's cars. Great handling, very nice interiors, subjective styling mind you. But I'd never buy one, as I live too far from a dealer to risk it. But I do have a BMW R1200GS that I love.  :shruggy:

On a slightly related note, while we're taking turns criticizing(in good humor I hope) nation's car builder's strengths and weaknesses, I'd put my USA made, current Dodge Viper up against any EU car when it comes to handling and performance. Even the interiors on these new ones are of comparable quality to the price tag. And to be proactive, we love ostentatious styling over here. Hahaha
Brad

NHCharger

I have bought a lot of repop parts over the years. Had pretty good luck with most parts.
Had to massage the door handles on my 71 Charger to work properly.
On my 68 Charger not happy with the tail lights. Car has three summers of use, always garaged. The black paint is already flaking off passenger side and three out of the four round silver trim rings on the small center piece are gone.  
On my Daytona clone I bought several fiberglass parts from Janak. So unhappy with the grill frame I tossed it and bought a steel one from Erik Nelson- and I'm only building a driver, I'm not a nitpicker.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mike DC

QuoteIt's funny you picked that comparison, as the 2000ish Range Rovers(BMW owned era) were basically rebodied BMW X5's and were the worst one they ever made(for most expensive repairs). Electrical gremlins, poor driveline design that eats differentials, weak transmissions, you know, all the BMW parts.... Hahaha. My poor mother owned one, worst vehicle anyone in our family ever owned. BMW's are still known for electrical gremlins, and leaky air suspensions on this side of the pond. V10 engines in M6 and M5's grenading. I wouldn't mention them and Merc in the same sentence these days. Full disclosure, I agree when they were Daimler Chrysler, Merc quality took a hit for a few years.....

Which is too bad, BMW makes some really great driver's cars. Great handling, very nice interiors, subjective styling mind you. But I'd never buy one, as I live too far from a dealer to risk it. But I do have a BMW R1200GS that I love.  shruggy

1990s BMW sedan body + aluminum chevy LS motor

alfaitalia

You must have had different models to us....No LS engines in anything we had here (except one special edition they did....which didn't sell due to high fuel cost here.) And they were all (except the special) front wheel drive so not BMW bodies either as far as I can tell. :shruggy:. Just a couple of engines where shared until BMW realised they were on to a loser and walked...then Honda motors were used.

darbgnik

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 16, 2017, 08:08:13 AM
You must have had different models to us....No LS engines in anything we had here (except one special edition they did....which didn't sell due to high fuel cost here.) And they were all (except the special) front wheel drive so not BMW bodies either as far as I can tell. :shruggy:. Just a couple of engines where shared until BMW realised they were on to a loser and walked...then Honda motors were used.
I would assume he's talking about a popular swap. An E36 BMW with an aluminum LS is a cheap competent track weapon. In Chump Car, a low buck racing series I've raced in over here, which is based off a points system, to keep all the cars competitive, the E36 BMW is at the points limit, bone stock. Strip it out, install a cage and a competition seat, align it, race, and win.

This is what I meant, they build great cars to drive, just the chance of getting a lemon are high....
Brad

alfaitalia

Over here they are seen as pretty bullet proof and desirable as a used vehicle!!. Had a few high mile ones myself with next to no issues....funny how what are virtually identical cars are perceived differently in different markets.

....anyway....BOT!

Mike DC

Yeah, I mean take a decent used BMW body and retrofit a Chevy LS motor into it.  Good body + good engine = good car. 

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 14, 2017, 07:10:06 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on April 15, 2016, 08:57:03 PM
What is REALLY annoying is I'll pay for quality parts. the old say "you get what you pay for" is true but seems we pay a premium for parts and often get 3rd rate crap

What's really annoying to me is the people in here that say there is nothing wrong with cheap aftermarket parts, The problem is not the parts but the people who don't know how to install them right :brickwall: :shruggy: :slap:

I don't follow? are you saying seat belts rusted and internal rubber seals fail within hours because of how the parts were bolted to the car?

VegasCharger

1968 B Body turn signal switch from Vans Auto (eBay store). Anyone have had any issues with these? I can't get mine to pivot into the left or right positions. Also the notches to receive the turn signal stem nubs are too small thus the 2 nubs not fully engaging. See 2nd pic, is this supposed to be like this? Seems like any pressure applied, the nubs would slip out of the notches. I tried to pivot the cam into the any position by hand and no luck. I don't want to apply too much pressure, I'm afraid I'll break the cheap plastic of this aftermarket crap. I did this with the switch not installed into the column yet. I was doing a pre-test.

Thanks  :cheers:

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 29, 2017, 07:38:51 AM
1968 B Body turn signal switch from Vans Auto (eBay store). Anyone have had any issues with these? I can't get mine to pivot into the left or right positions. Also the notches to receive the turn signal stem nubs are too small thus the 2 nubs not fully engaging. See 2nd pic, is this supposed to be like this? Seems like any pressure applied, the nubs would slip out of the notches. I tried to pivot the cam into the any position by hand and no luck. I don't want to apply too much pressure, I'm afraid I'll break the cheap plastic of this aftermarket crap. I did this with the switch not installed into the column yet. I was doing a pre-test.

Thanks  :cheers:

The connector that came with mine would not fit the car, and same issue as you have now. It isn't supposed to be like that. I had to dremel the notch a bit to make it work.