News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Charger fuel filler neck grommet question

Started by 71charger_fan, April 30, 2016, 11:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

Different vendors have sold me two different grommets for a '71 Charger fuel filler neck. Which is correct? The one on the right seems to essentially be the one on the left with an extra piece molded to it. It's been a long time since I took out the factory tank/grommet but I thought it looked like the one on the left. I'm dropping the tank tomorrow to replace the fuel sending unit. Even if the one on the left is technically correct, would it be better to use the one on the right? If so, should the extra rubber sealing lip go inside the tank or outside the tank?

71 SE3834V

I remember mine looking like the one on the left. Can't tell ya if the one on the right would be better.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Bob

71charger_fan

I went ahead and used the one on the right with the extra lip on the outside of the tank. If it doesn't work out, it's (relatively) easy to switch. The hard part was pumping 13 gallons of gas out of the tank to do the job. Then, realizing that, because of the way the license plate tips up, it's almost impossibly to put gas back in this car with a gas can.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on April 30, 2016, 09:09:54 PM
I remember mine looking like the one on the left. Can't tell ya if the one on the right would be better.

Quote from: Bob on May 01, 2016, 05:44:33 AM
The one on the left is correct.

:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

The one on the right looks like the one I purchased from R. Ehrenberg off eBay. Supposed to be better than original because it has the double-lip "protector" to better stop vapor and fuel leaks.
Haven't installed it yet.
1972 Charger SE

John_Kunkel

Yep, one on the right is the "improved" version.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

71charger_fan

Still unclear as to whether it was right to put the extra lip outside the tank or if it should have gone inside. If I did it backwards, I'll pick up another one at Carlisle and reinstall it.

CDN72SE

Quote from: 71charger_fan on June 30, 2016, 02:21:11 PM
Still unclear as to whether it was right to put the extra lip outside the tank or if it should have gone inside. If I did it backwards, I'll pick up another one at Carlisle and reinstall it.

Here's a link to an auction, it has a pic. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Fuel-Gas-Tank-Leak-Seal-Kit-Cuda-Road-Runner-Charger-Coronet-R-T-Duster-/222171446104?hash=item33ba733b58:g:~NMAAOxypNtSksWo&vxp=mtr
1972 Charger SE

71charger_fan

That was very helpful, thanks. Looks like I guess correctly.