News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who can recommend an electric cooling fan for 440 w A/C? (New fan running.)

Started by b5blue, May 14, 2016, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I need a recommendation for a real good working electric fan setup for my 70 Charger.  :shruggy:

crj1968

I bought this radiator (without the fans).  Might be worth a look

b5blue

I forgot to mention I've a very nice Modine brass 26" 3 row in there already.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Well I used "JET.com" and ordered a SPAL 30102052. Dual 11" fans in a shroud for getting 2720cfm. With the 15NOW discount 189.22 no tax or shipping. This should work, single fans were only getting me up to the 2Kcfm and costing over 125.00 for brand name quality.
http://www.jegs.com/i/SPAL/063/30102052/10002/-1?CAWELAID=230006180000986516&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-194567929031:pla-190696241831&gclid=CNaQqf_j2swCFUQbgQodC1kOAg

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

b5blue

Thanks....me too! 20 bucks more for a thermal switch and 18 for two proper Spal connectors. I've bunches of extra 40amp relays.  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

How many amps is it gonna draw?  I didn't see anything on the link mentioning it?

b5blue

Looks to be 36 at start up and 22 run from reading up online. My Denso can output 55-60 at idle. My 8ga parallel output wire is setup, I'll have the thermal switch turn on a pair of fused 40amp relays. 

firefighter3931

Hi Neal,

I run this fan on my car with the big stroker and it works great. I set it up as a pusher due to clearance issues in the engine bay with aftermarket pullies. I recommended the same fan to Steve (Charger4404spd) who has a 500in stroker with an 871 Roots blower on his car and it's been working great so far.  :2thumbs:

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/cf-item20017-dual-cage.php

Mine is set up with a thermostatic switch that kicks on at 175*F and that fan moves some serious air ; 3200cfm worth ! A few years back I was racing and sitting in the lanes and looked at the temp guage which was at 225* and panic set in  :lol: I then realized I had forgot to hit the fan toggle switch !  :icon_smile_blackeye: Once the fan engaged it cooled back down to 180* in less than 60 seconds. That cemented it for me....I knew then that this was a really nice fan  :2thumbs:

If for some reason the setup you purchased doesn't work out there's allways this option to consider.  ;)

Ron

Ps. I have a couple of buddies running this same fan on their pro-charged street/strip cars with great success
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

Thanks Ron! Any of the cars mentioned run A/C? I was trying to figure best way to get enough flow to pull through the condenser. This box affair should pull air through 90% of condenser/radiator.  :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

None of these cars runs A/C but one of the pro-charged cars has an intercooler & trans cooler in front of the rad

His is set up as a puller   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rebby

I'm running a pair of Maradyne M122k fans.

http://www.maradynehp.com/m122k.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mar-m122k

Total maximum air flow of roughly 3,000 CFM with a current draw of about 27 amps. I have each fan wired into it's own dedicated 30a relay with a 15a fuse on the hot wire from the battery. Relays are triggered via an ignition hot and various ground inputs. So far it's working very well.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

b5blue

Well the Spal set is just too darn big!  :brickwall:  The housing has a slight warp and fitment so tight buy the time I beefed up mounting a fan is to close to the A/C belt. What a shame...it's a very well built set. Back to the drawing board!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

b5blue

I can't figure out what part number and combo that would be? Fan/spacer/shroud info is all over the place!  :eek2:

cdr

Quote from: b5blue on May 21, 2016, 01:32:28 PM
I can't figure out what part number and combo that would be? Fan/spacer/shroud info is all over the place!  :eek2:

fan # 1818 Flex-a-lite
looking for the correct space, looks like you need one about 1 3/4 thick to clear the compressor, will get back to you after i find the #
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

14556 flexilite is 2in thick, might be to close to radiator , might not, they make a 1 in spacer.

here is a 1.5 thick , should work but you dont know till you try.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-31515/overview/

I just measured mine, looks like the 2in would work, might  have to pull radiator to install fan.

order both they are not a lot of money.

b5blue

Thanks, I removed something very similar, the blades are into the compressor. (What started this whole mess!) I have 4" between water pump pulley and radiator. The compressor clutch invades part of that space above the pump though. It's tricky filling that gap just right.  :brickwall:  I may try your idea anyway.  :2thumbs:
  I tried to call Ron's recommended supplier for a single 17" electric fan but I think they are closed weekends. 

cdr

we both live in a VERY hot area, I dont know if a elect fan is gonna work.

b5blue

I'm wondering if the 1818 fan might be made different, not as far swept to the back? 

Charger4404spd

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 15, 2016, 10:24:22 AM
Hi Neal,

I run this fan on my car with the big stroker and it works great. I set it up as a pusher due to clearance issues in the engine bay with aftermarket pullies. I recommended the same fan to Steve (Charger4404spd) who has a 500in stroker with an 871 Roots blower on his car and it's been working great so far.  :2thumbs:

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/shroud-fan-assembly/cf-item20017-dual-cage.php

Mine is set up with a thermostatic switch that kicks on at 175*F and that fan moves some serious air ; 3200cfm worth ! A few years back I was racing and sitting in the lanes and looked at the temp guage which was at 225* and panic set in  :lol: I then realized I had forgot to hit the fan toggle switch !  :icon_smile_blackeye: Once the fan engaged it cooled back down to 180* in less than 60 seconds. That cemented it for me....I knew then that this was a really nice fan  :2thumbs:

If for some reason the setup you purchased doesn't work out there's allways this option to consider.  ;)

Ron

Ps. I have a couple of buddies running this same fan on their pro-charged street/strip cars with great success

Running this fan (with a pwm controller) on my blower motor with a 2 core aluminum radiator. Has never got over 185.

myk

Quote from: Charger4404spd on May 21, 2016, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 15, 2016, 10:24:22 AM
Hi Neal,

Ron

Running this fan (with a pwm controller) on my blower motor with a 2 core aluminum radiator. Has never got over 185.

How do you have your fan mounted?  Did you make brackets?  Is the fan thermostatically controlled or just toggled?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger4404spd

Mase some L brackets and mounted to upper and lower radiator support. Yes it is on a thermostat. The pwm controller I use runs the fan at 60% until it see the need to increase speed. I dont think it has ever hit 100%. I use a high flow pump and thermostat too, not sure how much that helps.

b5blue

Mike at  Rainbow called me back. His 17" fan is 2 speed using two 12V+ and one ground. This explained the higher CFM rates. (2600/3300) Fed through a pair of 40amp relays he said be expecting 50amp total on high.  :scratchchin: