News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will this alternator work?

Started by 71 SE3834V, May 16, 2016, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 SE3834V

I asked this question on a couple of 3rd gen forums but no answer after a couple of days so I'll ask here.

I found a listing for a new remanufactured Duralast DL7001 60 amp alternator on craigslist for only $25.
www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/alternator/duralast-alternator/333153_191428_10654/?checkfit=true
He is local and willing to meet at AutoZone to confirm it works. I punched the part # into the website and it confirms it fits my '71 w/383 w/AC. I'm assuming this is an upgrade over stock which is what....45 amps or so according to the FSM?
The problem, the pic shows it only has one field connection. Is there a quick, approved modification for this? Without butchering up my new wire harness?

Oh, and FYI. I plan on a wire bypass modification at the same time as an alternator upgrade.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

John_Kunkel

The pic might be generic, it's easy to visually verify if it has two field terminals. That alternator can easily be converted to use the second field terminal but why bother? just get the correct alternator.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

71 SE3834V

The specs list it as having only one field terminal.
I didn't set out to buy one just happened across this one and looked into it. What got me asking was when I looked at the alternators offered by Auto Zone all of the listings only had the one terminal. Today I looked at another vendor and their offerings have both 1 and 2 field terminals so yes, if I were to replace my alternator I won't bother with any modifications. Looks like another case of "the parts your selling won't fit my car."

I usually have my starters & alternators for the classics rebuilt at a local rebuild shop but it has recently changed service offerings. I think the owner must have retired and sold the building. Been meaning to stop by and find out. Good reason to finally get the car out and go for a drive.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Pete in NH

Hi Jeff,

If that alternator truly has only one field terminal it is for a 69 or earlier car. The exact correct alternator for your 71 is a duel field terminal, roundback type rated at 45 amps with A/C.

It seems many rebuilders play fast and loose with ratings and applications. I suspect very few these days really understand the various Alternators Chrysler used.

You could use that alternator but, you would have to use the earlier regulator with it as there is no way to use your present 70 and up electronic regulator with this alternator. The second possibility is to get a spare brush holder/brush kit for a 70-71 alternator and install the correct insulated brush at the position that is now grounded. This should be easy to do and for the cost of $4.00 or so you could use this bargain alternator with your present regulator.

Nacho-RT74

I replied you at 3rd gen board with lot of pics and info... it is posible to modify it to dual fueld getting the brush assembly and drilling couple of holes ( for brush isolator and retaining screw ) on blank space opposite to the grounded brush ( some replacements are made in that way anyway ), but is true it can be a generic stock pic.

Those years some alternators were also casted ( no need for drill holes ) to work in both systems, just setting it up right to your needs with the correct brushes kit.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71 SE3834V

Yeah Pete, seems like fast & loose w/the listings. The pics are correct and the specs list only 1 terminal. If I look for an alt. for my car on AZ's website all that comes up are single terminal. On O'reilly's website both single and dual one's are listed. I guess you better know your car inside/out and what you need before buying anything.
Thanks for the education and at this point it's not worth pursuing since I certainly don't want to give myself more unnecessary work to do on the car.

Nacho, I'll make sure to read what you posted as I like reading that kind of stuff. Yeah I'm weird like that.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

1974dodgecharger

rockauto has em for 25 bucks  ::)