News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut426

Does anybody know if he has the ORIGINAL VIN tag and body tag?  If he is using repro tags, then I think it just plain wrong to reconstruct the car.   :Twocents:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Wingnut426 on May 25, 2016, 12:37:29 PM
Does anybody know if he has the ORIGINAL VIN tag and body tag?  If he is using repro tags, then I think it just plain wrong to reconstruct the car.   :Twocents:

AMD fb page they posted he did have the originals.

Aero426

I would say that there is enough "there" to justify a restoration.    You have the entire central body shell, as bad as some of the rust is.     If the original tags and numbers are available to reunite, I don't see why this can't be viable given there is likely financial and parts "help" to get the car done.    Everyone will know what it is.    Not my kind of car, but it is still a real Daytona.   There is an ass for every seat.   :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 25, 2016, 01:15:19 PM
Does anybody know if he has the ORIGINAL VIN tag and body tag?  If he is using repro tags, then I think it just plain wrong to reconstruct the car.   :Twocents:

AMD fb page they posted he did have the originals.

https://www.facebook.com/Auto-Metal-Direct-48713602862/   :popcrn:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Homerr

I think this is the way to do this sort of restoration - lots and lots of progress pics.  Then everyone can decide for themselves if it is genuine, rebody, fraud, etc.  But at least everyone knows what is going on with it.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Homerr on May 25, 2016, 08:17:15 PM
I think this is the way to do this sort of restoration - lots and lots of progress pics.  Then everyone can decide for themselves if it is genuine, rebody, fraud, etc.  But at least everyone knows what is going on with it.

Your right, anyone who would buy the car will know how it was done right up front
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

djcarguy

Patronus

Personally I just can't see it. That thing is yard art.
Putting that vin tag back on should be illegal.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

DAY CLONA

From what I recall TS has the original tags, so does that make it OK now? what if the tags are so bad, that "repros" of the original tags were made, hows that any different?...I fail to see or comprehend this obsession some have about tags, rebodies, clones, reconstructions, etc, all nonsense, it's just a machine, and a bunch of numbers assigned to create an identity, not a deity

held1823

if they're just numbers, XP29F would be just as suitable for showcasing AMD panels as is  XX29L

no one on the planet would drag this shell out of the junkyard if not for that second X
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on May 25, 2016, 01:31:57 PM
I would say that there is enough "there" to justify a restoration.    You have the entire central body shell, as bad as some of the rust is.     If the original tags and numbers are available to reunite, I don't see why this can't be viable given there is likely financial and parts "help" to get the car done.    Everyone will know what it is.    Not my kind of car, but it is still a real Daytona.   There is an ass for every seat.   :2thumbs:
better then no daytona at all   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DAY CLONA

Quote from: held1823 on May 27, 2016, 08:15:19 PM
if they're just numbers, XP29F would be just as suitable for showcasing AMD panels as is  XX29L

no one on the planet would drag this shell out of the junkyard if not for that second X

XP29F doesn't have a wing and nose so not a viable candidate for promotion, XP29F would be just another Charger,  this is just a "circus act" to resurrect a "valuable/desirable" car, much like a GYC stunt

In the real world, XP29F would roll in and disappear, XX29L would roll out

odcics2

Quote from: Patronus on May 27, 2016, 07:04:13 PM
Putting that vin tag back on should be illegal.  :Twocents:

Putting the dash back in and vin is ok.   It came from that 'car'....  No swapping going on here with
another body...   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on May 28, 2016, 12:38:31 PM
Putting that vin tag back on should be illegal.  :Twocents:

Putting the dash back in and vin is ok.   It came from that 'car'....  No swapping going on here with
another body...  

After they cut off the rust, twisted metal, etc ...I think they'll have even less to start with than this Mopar...no swapping going on here :icon_smile_big: and people say rebodies are a bad thing...at least with a rebody using a clean donor, it's still has it original issued Chrysler sheetmetal, what does this "restoration" have that makes it "restored back to original"  :scratchchin: still nothing wrong with this measure either, I'm all for recreating or creating a vehicle in any way shape or form, I just find it funny how those who preach the righteous VIN/numbers restoration mantra would cringe if they saw how some high end cars that are later praised for the restoration that "saved" them, looked like this behind closed doors...this AMD built (recreated) Cuda was basically an AMD version of a Dynacorn "replacement" body, just an slight hint of the original car's "essence" and it's legit to wear it's original tags

FYI...even the front rails in that pic came from another Cuda :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 29, 2016, 01:04:02 AM

Putting the dash back in and vin is ok.   It came from that 'car'....  No swapping going on here with
another body...  

After they cut off the rust, twisted metal, etc ...I think they'll have even less to start with than this Mopar...no swapping going on here :icon_smile_big: and people say rebodies are a bad thing...at least with a rebody using a clean donor, it's still has it original issued Chrysler sheetmetal, what does this "restoration" have that makes it "restored back to original"  :scratchchin: still nothing wrong with this measure either, I'm all for recreating or creating a vehicle in any way shape or form, I just find it funny how those who preach the righteous VIN/numbers restoration mantra would cringe if they saw how some high end cars that are later praised for the restoration that "saved" them, looked like this behind closed doors...this AMD built (recreated) Cuda was basically an AMD version of a Dynacorn "replacement" body, just an slight hint of the original car's "essence" and it's legit to wear it's original tags

Hey look, it is a Daytona kit-car...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Nwcharger

another body...  

funny mark said there's not enough of my Daytona to bring back yet all he saved from this car was the outer rockers and door jambs and of course body numbers. At least when I do get to my car I'll know there will be more of my original body saved than marks phantom re body.
1969 coronet wagon

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Nwcharger on May 31, 2016, 09:53:13 PM

another body...  

funny mark said there's not enough of my Daytona to bring back yet all he saved from this car was the outer rockers and door jambs and of course body numbers. At least when I do get to my car I'll know there will be more of my original body saved than marks phantom re body.

Number 1, the Cuda was well beyond Marks skill set, number 2, no way was he going to pull off recreating that car under the viewer's eye and call it a restoration, and number 3 the cost was probably well outside the budget allowed, so when AMD "volunteered" their services/products it was now easy-peasy...that's most likely why why he passed on your car

crj1968

Does the dash VIN match the door VIN? To the DMV that's all that matters. Usually they don't even look at the door VIN sticker, if it's even there.

If you are keeping the car in state you could attach the VIN to a soup can and register and insure it, if you like.

Like it or not, that car is and always will be a real Daytona, because it's all about the VIN. The rest is just metal surrounding the VIN regardless of how it gets there.

Re-sale on something like that?   :shruggy:

hemigeno

Quote from: crj1968 on June 02, 2016, 10:46:15 AM

Does the dash VIN match the door VIN? To the DMV that's all that matters. Usually they don't even look at the door VIN sticker, if it's even there.

Not every Daytona has a door VIN label.  In fact, most of them do NOT have a VIN decal based on my research.

Ted's car falls into the category of a car that I would not expect to have a decal, and would be surprised/interested to see photos of it if it did have such.

crj1968

Quote from: hemigeno on June 02, 2016, 11:50:49 AM

Not every Daytona has a door VIN label.  In fact, most of them do NOT have a VIN decal based on my research.

Interesting...learn something new every day.

Montreal Wing Car

Didn't door VIN decals start with the 1970 model year?

Ben

MoPaR 312

Not sure if my thinking for door VIN stickers is right if some Daytona's had them but I'm assuming the Daytona's were a late 69 build, after the Charger 500s so maybe the decals were already starting to appear by the time they were built??  I mean the front clip/hood is basically a 70 Charger so I would assume so but I don't know much about the Daytona's honestly.  I'll search the web for build dates to check this out and probably prove my theory wrong though.  :icon_smile_big:

500Jon

Hi Aero's,

One day there will be 503 Daytona's back in circulation again! :popcrn:
As the values rise and the Aero-Folks want one at any price, they will ALL return!!! :pity:
Its happening now with registered but 'un-built' British Exotica cars, (Racing Jaguars).

If the CAR existed then the 'POWERS to BE' will allow their re-creation...

So whats their value, a re-creation, no original parts , but a correct VIN?
Maybe half that of a documented ORIGINAL-Detroit metal Daytona? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Most of US couldn't even afford one at HALF PRICE... :slap:

No silly WING/NOSE and much easier to PARK. :moon: :moon: :moon:

For me a C500 is rarer and MORE desirable anyways... :nana:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!