News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 color time!!

Started by C500, July 10, 2016, 03:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green with white interior or black on black?

Green with white
Black x2
Original green on green

C500

Hi guys...

I'm nearing the time for painting my F8 500, and have been seriously thinking about switching it over to black....

Originally green interior, this just doesn't cut it for me. Options are F8 green paint with white interior or black paint and interior. Car has original drive-train and fender tag, new AMD quarters and rebuilt 440/727.

What are your thoughts on re-sale value if I (or my kids) had to re-sell.

A couple of example pics below....

Cast your votes.. and comments  :2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

tan top

difficult ! black looks awesome  , but F8 is the original color  :scratchchin: :shruggy: ... at one time I would have said paint it , what ever the fender tag says  , but ! lifes short , do what ever makes you happy  :yesnod: :popcrn:

if  your car was mine , would be thinking painting it Y2  or keeping the F8  ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

Black looks great...when it's clean and in great shape. Green interior...well I have one of those and I'm not loving it! But a white interior is just effin awesome! So I say go for F8 with a white interior. It'll look absolutely stellar and I doubt it ouwld affect resale value all that much. IT'll certainly be cheaper for the next owner to change the white back to green instead of changing the black exterior back to green.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ws23rt

Long term value as a motive for the color choice is speculation and a gamble.  

How much difference it could make down the line is a part of the gamble.  Some trends and tastes may not be as they are now.

My vote is to stay with original for best bet on lasting value.  Go for black and enjoy what you want.  Let the next owners make up their own minds as you are doing now. :Twocents:

DAY CLONA

I'm sure you seen the black 500 in Brian's post that he painted...

Black without question...
Black with black interior, red stripe, redline tires
Black with black interior with black stripe, white lettered tires
Black with red interior with red stripe, redline tires
Black with white interior, red stripe, redline tires...of course on road wheels, this would be my flavor for a sweet ride

C500

Quote from: tan top on July 10, 2016, 03:57:56 PM
 difficult ! black looks awesome  , but F8 is the original color  :scratchchin: :shruggy: ... at one time I would have said paint it , what ever the fender tag says  , but ! lifes short , do what ever makes you happy  :yesnod: :popcrn:

if  your car was mine , would be thinking painting it Y2  or keeping the F8  ;)

that's the problem... both would make me happy  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: ws23rt on July 10, 2016, 04:22:15 PM
Long term value as a motive for the color choice is speculation and a gamble.  

How much difference it could make down the line is a part of the gamble.  Some trends and tastes may not be as they are now.

My vote is to stay with original for best bet on lasting value.  Go for black and enjoy what you want.  Let the next owners make up their own minds as you are doing now. :Twocents:

Good tips...  :yesnod: for me, re-sale value consideration is based on the current market,  I have zero plans to sell any time soon.

Quote from: Dino on July 10, 2016, 04:15:29 PM
Black looks great...when it's clean and in great shape. Green interior...well I have one of those and I'm not loving it! But a white interior is just effin awesome! So I say go for F8 with a white interior. It'll look absolutely stellar and I doubt it ouwld affect resale value all that much. IT'll certainly be cheaper for the next owner to change the white back to green instead of changing the black exterior back to green.

Keeping a black car clean is factor... thanks for the post, please use the voting buttons
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Alaskan_TA

Cars like this draw out the 'investment' crowd when for sale, but the same crowd would want a car restored to the tag for their money. Modified cars are not sought after by most of the 'money' crowd. So if a return on your investment is the goal, it is up to you.

I have no money & I am not an investor, but I do love green. :-)

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: C500 on July 10, 2016, 04:54:33 PM
please use the voting buttons

No green / green button to vote on?  :shruggy:

wingcarenvy

I agree its your car, do as you please. However, I do really like green on green cars. It seems you just don't see them that much anymore, everyone changes them. Either way go for it.  :2thumbs:

XH29N0G

I have green and love it, but that is because it was this way when my dad brought it home from the dealership.  In your case, it sounds like Black is what you want.  It sounds like it could affect resale, but I wonder by how much and how that would compare with the enjoyment you will get from having it the way you want it.  Black looks fantastic on these cars and I can only imagine on a 500.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

winged69

You have a very low number produced car. You are going to change interior color and exterior color probably . I say leave F8 and thank yourself you have a white interior. I have a fellow with a panther pink CHallenger TA with a black interior. It has been determined that the car was B7 blue with a gator grain top. He is trying to sell it with a value as though it was original color  but whoever buys it will spend 30K to change it back. His car is worth half of a original color car. You have a pretty car, you can't order one anymore and just be happy you got one.

C500

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 10, 2016, 04:58:14 PM
Quote from: C500 on July 10, 2016, 04:54:33 PM
please use the voting buttons

No green / green button to vote on?  :shruggy:

Nope, don't want green interior, but will add that button  :2thumbs:

C500

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 10, 2016, 04:43:26 PM
I'm sure you seen the black 500 in Brian's post that he painted...

Black without question...
Black with black interior, red stripe, redline tires
Black with black interior with black stripe, white lettered tires
Black with red interior with red stripe, redline tires
Black with white interior, red stripe, redline tires...of course on road wheels, this would be my flavor for a sweet ride

Yes, I saw that post - that was the catalyst to creating this poll

moparchris

Well, I guess I'm a little biased, since my 500 is the dreaded Green-Green.  Yeah, if it was Nov. of 1968 and I was looking for a new muscle car I wouldn't have picked the one I have.  I would have gone for a Red or Black Charger.  But you know what... If you have a nice paint job  you'd be surprised how pretty the Green can be, especially out in the sunlight.
You're not painting a 72 Duster (no offense), you're doing a Charger 500.  My :Twocents: is leave it F8 and have your painter drop in a dab of pearl into the paint.  It will really pop in the sunlight but it will be subtle enough to not draw questions.  Go with the White guts and a White stripe.
Besides, everybody at a car show has a Red this or Black that.  There is only one color of money and it is GREEN!!

Homerr

1. Original
2. Change interior to black or white, easier to change back than tearing apart the car to paint it back (and cheaper).

6bblgt

although Dodge didn't offer it ..... you could even leave the green dash & carpet with the white vinyl & door panels, a smaller deviation from stock

the combination was allowed at Plymouth on the bucket seat GTX, Sport Satellite and Road Runner  :scratchchin:

C500

Thanks for the replies everyone, the jury is out on this. Leaning towards the F8 with white interior right now. I already have 4 litres of F8 here too.

hemi68charger

The best combination would be black with white or you could do black/black or black/red...

But, since it is an original C500, it could help it's overall value in the long run to stay F8, but for your purposes of personal appeal,  I would go with F8/white gut.......

My :Twocents:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 11, 2016, 06:33:13 AM

But, since it is an original C500, it could help it's overall value in the long run to stay F8, but for your purposes of personal appeal,  I would go with F8/white gut.......

I agree. The white interior is a nice contrast to the F8 as your picture shows.

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

taxspeaker

OK I voted green/green. I don't own a forest green one but have always loved the color, perhaps make it pop with a hint of pearlescent in the paint? Not sure why so many guys hate F8, I think it is an incredible color in the sun with a hint of the pearl, or touch of gold at 5% of the mix. Summary do whatever makes you happy and let your kids say I wish he had painted it .....
Bob

Homerr

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 11, 2016, 06:54:03 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on July 11, 2016, 06:33:13 AM

I agree. The white interior is a nice contrast to the F8 as your picture shows.

Quoting for posterity.  Mytur Binsdirti agrees with keeping the F8 green.

Charger1970

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 10, 2016, 11:19:47 PM
although Dodge didn't offer it ..... you could even leave the green dash & carpet with the white vinyl & door panels, a smaller deviation from stock

the combination was allowed at Plymouth on the bucket seat GTX, Sport Satellite and Road Runner  :scratchchin:

I had a 69 Coronet 500 with this interior combo. In fact there is one on eBay now for a visual. :2thumbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262513489186?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

charger_fan_4ever

I voted black. But i have to say for the C500 i really like the white with red tail stripe. Recall seeing one at a show in Ontario 20 years ago. I believe car is states side now.

C500 is the ultimate mopar in my book  :cheers:

Seemed pretty clear you don't like the green its your car do what you want as said life is too short. When comes time to sell even if F8 the buyers will beat on you cause its a F8 car. You will be damned if you do, or damned if you don't.

:popcrn:

Not a fan of the white wheels. Recalls be much better.
Im generally not big on orange but ouff  :drool5:

Troy

Is the car numbers matching? I have a hard time changing too much stuff on a rare car - it's much easier on a base model because you really can't hurt the value! I would probably do as suggested and paint it F8 (which really is a stunning color when done right) and put a black or white interior in it. If you plan to drive a lot be aware that the white can be really hard to keep clean!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.