News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 centre console rear chrome plate with cigarette lighter in it

Started by DanPratt, July 17, 2016, 09:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanPratt

Hi guys,

I have a badly pitted back/end plate for the centre console but it is the one with the cigarette lighter fitted to it.  Instead of being a solid metal piece the fins in the bottom half of it are actually open so that light (and presumably heat) from inside the console comes out through the fins.  Like I am with all my interior chrome parts (all equally as badly pitted), I am considering whether to try and get it re-chromed or get a new one.  Problem is, I cannot find any listing on the web for one of these.  know I can get a replacement solid one (without the cigarette lighter in it).  But does anyone know of a supplier of this version of the console backing plate?

Many thanks indeed for you thoughts and advice.

Dan

cdr

originally that came from a C body, NEVER came in a 69 Charger.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

DanPratt

A C-Body console eh?  Thanks for the tip; much appreciated.  I do have one of the other ones (without the cigarette lighter in it) but it is in just as bad shape and I figured, if I could get a new one with the cigarette lighter in it, I might as well.  Has anyone seen repop versions these cigarette lighter ones?

Cheers and thanks again,

Dan

Brock Lee

Never seen a repop..no. We just managed to get the standard ones reproduced in the past decade. Small C body stuff is probably pretty far down the list of items to be reproduced.

timmycharger

Keep checking Ebay, I found a couple of the last year and picked the best one for my 68. I know its not factory but I thought it was pretty cool, good for the kids in the back on road trips for their phones, etc.  :cheers:

poor pic, but you get the idea

DanPratt

Thanks for the advice guys, I very much appreciate it.  I might give the chrome plating guy a chance with this piece and see how it turns out.  I too think its pretty cool and this charger I have, although very special to me, is not a show car and will give daily service to the next generation of car guys (my boys) who will reside in its back seat for many trips.  So I might persevere with this cigarette lighter version for just a little longer, safe in the knowledge that if it all fails, I can still get a more genuine piece quickly off the net.

Thanks again!

Dan

bill440rt

I thought the fins were open at the bottom because there is supposed to be a lamp behind it as well? :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

timmycharger

Quote from: bill440rt on July 22, 2016, 10:59:37 AM
I thought the fins were open at the bottom because there is supposed to be a lamp behind it as well? :shruggy:

I believe its all open, and I am positive there is a lamp in there as I got mine working.  Looks cool at night with the other console lights lit up.  :2thumbs:

Here is a shot of the backside and how I wired it to the rest of the console. I added another cigarette lighter/12v source inside the console as well as I have my ipod wired to my 8 track and I wanted it all hidden.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dino

I have been looking for one of those for ages but never find them in good shape. I'd love to have one.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.