News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger Registry

Started by Homerr, August 06, 2016, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homerr

Well, it's finally here!

Link to website:
1968 Charger Registry

Here's a peek at what submittal looks like, it's automated and via Google Forms.

And the Google Sheet database.  Raw data is in a tab at the bottom.  Download a copy if you'd like!

This all outputs to stats.  We're very Hemi-heavy right now and need others to help balance it out.   :P

(Thanks to Mytur Binsdirti!)

I hope you'll all like this and support it, these cars (and owners!) aren't getting any younger.  I wanted to provide the framework for the Charger community to record these cars we all love.  Let's face it, many cars pop up in an ad for a couple of days and then may be gone from view for decades.  Or certainly there is always the possibility of them being wrecked or crushed.  In fact, I'm hoping that some of you have tags from junkyards for cars that are no longer around and will enter what you have.

I didn't want a closed/private/proprietary setup so, like the Charger 500 and Daytona registries, this one may be a duplication of effort.  There is plenty more a closed setup could offer that this one does not - such as connecting owners, but this won't be the place for that.

With the potential for way more '68's I am not linking pictures on this one, it's too labor intensive for me.  If you have pics you'd like to show, or a thread here, then add a link in the submittal form.  It's the last entry.  If you mess up on some entry, or want something added later like the photo link, just email here and I'll correct/add it:  1968chargerregistry@gmail.com

So this has been about a year in the making, on and off, as I figured out how spreadsheet formulas work.  If you really want to know what it took click on a cell in row 5.  And I wanted something that could be handed off if I get tired of it or hit by a bus, and this drives the open concept.

A few technical notes:

1.  Data can take up to a minute to populate on the Google Sheet, there is a progress bar in the upper right.  Resorting a column can take a minute or more as the Sheet updates, again watch for the progress bar.

2.  Columns are sortable, hover over the column head to get the down pointing arrow and click on it:

3.  I've filled in codes, click on the little black triangle in the upper corner of option cells:

4.  The stats page is going to get long at some point with digits 8-13 of the VIN and the SO numbers.  Right now there isn't an easy solution, so I'll probably end up duplicating the page without those figures.

5.  If you find any errors or omissions send me a note at:  1968chargerregistry@gmail.com

Finally, thanks to those of you who sent in VIN and fender tags.  They were really helpful for checking the work.  I cleared database except for Mytur's former car as an example.  I'd appreciate feedback on the data entry experience.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

cdr

very cool !!!! Thank you Homerr  :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68X426

Jeff that is fantastic.  :2thumbs: 

Just imagine where that database will be in a year and two.  Great work.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

JB400

Sounds like good news.  Thanks for taking this on.  I know it's been a desire to have this for a while.

6bblgt

:2thumbs:

some suggestions
SUBMISSION:
need a choice for the OPTIONAL 529 (1/9) "wide sill mouldings"
I think the "white" interiors need the dash/carpet color more than the recommended exterior colors
the UDF color choices can be minimized to the 6 available interior colors B,W,G,U,R,J
special order paint was "999" not "991"
the "46" tire should read "white streak" like the other "red streak" "Goodyear SPEEDWAYs"
you'll need to allow the first digit of the S.O.# to be a letter (Canada spec. is "Axxxxx")
I should've put "7" for July on 8B100397 (even though it's July '67 - 730)

VIEW RESULTS:
4-speed transmission is showing up in the results as "4" instead of "3" (393)
buffed paint shows up as "1" instead of "8" (708)
your title on the results for paint style shows "TWO-TONE", should be mono-tone or paint style

& I can't get to the statistics page? - it send me to another slightly different submission page??

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TPR

Lookin' good Homerr.
I think this open concept is the way to go.
It's cool watching it update on the fly.
I will contribute soon.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

68RT440

Awesome! Thanks very much! I will get registered soon
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Homerr

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 07, 2016, 03:47:38 AM
:2thumbs:

some suggestions
SUBMISSION:
need a choice for the OPTIONAL 529 (1/9) "wide sill mouldings"
I think the "white" interiors need the dash/carpet color more than the recommended exterior colors
The the UDF color choices can be minimized to the 6 available interior colors B,W,G,U,R,J
special order paint was "999" not "991"
the "46" tire should read "white streak" like the other "red streak" "Goodyear SPEEDWAYs"
you'll need to allow the first digit of the S.O.# to be a letter (Canada spec. is "Axxxxx")
I should've put "7" for July on 8B100397 (even though it's July '67 - 730)

VIEW RESULTS:
4-speed transmission is showing up in the results as "4" instead of "3" (393)
buffed paint shows up as "1" instead of "8" (708)
your title on the results for paint style shows "TWO-TONE", should be mono-tone or paint style

& I can't get to the statistics page? - it send me to another slightly different submission page??

Done all, thanks for the in-depth review!

I added in the 7 on 8B100397, but added to the Notes column ""PROMO" car, July 1967 build".  Is this an unusual one off car with this date?  I could add a second '7' for July 1967 if there are to be more cars.

Did you add the 8B199100 Charger? Let me know the SO and I'll add it in.

The stats pie chart page does have two looks, one white background only if you click on the link after submitting a car and the other is linked through the webpage.  I think that is what happens, I don't want to start submitting bogus cars now to find out.  Note that linked stats page or after you've submitted there is a similar looking page with 'Questions' and 'Responses' tabs near the top.  Also, see below.

In working on this I realized the default Google responses (the statistic pie charts) answers are 'snapshotted' when the form is submitted, not pulled from the Sheet.  So the statistics will be slightly incorrect for these cells that I updated.  Currently there is no way to 'recompile' this.  Phase 2 will be implementing stats that pull from the actual Sheet instead, so they will update any corrections made.

303 Mopar

Thanks for doing this, greatly appreciated and needed for the '68's!
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Homerr

One other point of discussion I'd like to ask about.

The form is set to require a VIN.  This obviously is the legal, and for this purpose, check against duplicates.

But, 1968 tags being what they are, there may be many 'fender tag only' submissions possible.  And if they were added they could show up as a second car to an unmatched VIN.  It's possible, but unlikely, that these would ever be matched.

Is there any merit to adding submission of fender tag only?

303 Mopar

Quote from: Homerr on August 07, 2016, 08:47:26 AM

I think there is a place for fender tag only, especially if you are looking to collect any/all info on '68's.

Question:  There is no option to for XP29 at the top, only XS29.  What am I doing wrong?
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Homerr

Hmmm, not sure what happen to submittal form, going through it!

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Homerr on August 07, 2016, 08:47:26 AM

Yes. Otherwise guys like me (tag pic collectors) cannot contribute.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Homerr

Ok, I made a few changes and fixes to the submittal form.

I also took off the VIN being required, so if you have fender tags only go ahead and submit them.

68RT440

I have a dash that I bought at a swap meet a few years ago that's from a 68 Charger. Would it be helpful for me to register the VIN from that dash just so it's on record?
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Homerr

Quote from: 68RT440 on August 07, 2016, 10:22:40 AM
I have a dash that I bought at a swap meet a few years ago that's from a 68 Charger. Would it be helpful for me to register the VIN from that dash just so it's on record?

Yes!  Go ahead and add it.

69CoronetRT

Some thoughts....

Aren't there some default codes/answers that could be collapsed or hidden making the form shorter and increasing reliability of the data?

For example, won't all 68 Chargers from Hamtramck or STL code 508 under moldings? If that is true, then there is no need to enter the data on the form. It's just one less item to enter and one less item that could be corrupted. Wouldn't the only real option under moldings be sill moldings? The same concept applies for Interior trim (C6*) and top line b code.

The UDF code will be a function of the interior code and a default. Can you tie the submission to UDF to an if/then response and field fill in linked to the C6* code? This way the UDF field would automatically populate based on the interior color code. (IF X then B)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

WhiteOnGreen

Good job, apreciate your effort for the new 68 Registry  ;)
I summit mine

6bblgt

Quote from: Homerr on August 07, 2016, 08:40:44 AMI added in the 7 on 8B100397, but added to the Notes column ""PROMO" car, July 1967 build".  Is this an unusual one off car with this date?  I could add a second '7' for July 1967 if there are to be more cars.

best guess - there are going to be a number of July '67 "SCHEDULED" Chargers
pre-production "PILOT" cars will have a "72?" "scheduled production date" but were built much earlier
"dealer announcement units"  - AKA "PROMO" cars will have a "730" "scheduled production date" but were built mid-August '67 (20-50 Chargers)
the first scheduled day of 1968 model year production may be "731" or "801"?

Quote from: Homerr on August 07, 2016, 08:40:44 AMDid you add the 8B199100 Charger? Let me know the SO and I'll add it in..

Yes, it 's: A22111

Homerr

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on August 07, 2016, 12:16:52 PM
Some thoughts....

Aren't there some default codes/answers that could be collapsed or hidden making the form shorter and increasing reliability of the data?

For example, won't all 68 Chargers from Hamtramck or STL code 508 under moldings? If that is true, then there is no need to enter the data on the form. It's just one less item to enter and one less item that could be corrupted. Wouldn't the only real option under moldings be sill moldings? The same concept applies for Interior trim (C6*) and top line b code.

The UDF code will be a function of the interior code and a default. Can you tie the submission to UDF to an if/then response and field fill in linked to the C6* code? This way the UDF field would automatically populate based on the interior color code. (IF X then B)

Well, yes, probably, with more time.

The original thought for the layout was to 'build' the car, as if ordering it, and then it would show up as a broadcast sheet.  I wanted to involve submitters in the experience.  I've mostly stuck with that.  

As to the technical side - before starting this I could add (SUM) cells in Excel.  That's it.  I didn't know about Google Sites or Forms until someone along the way suggested them.  This is just to say that this is my current state-of-the-art ability with all this stuff.

I considered what you suggest at the inception of this project, back when I barely knew what I was doing.  Reading the ideas again has gotten my wheels spinning a bit.  But I'm also not wanting to take away from the user experience.  To me it's a nice experience to enter a tag, but maybe I'm being too much of a nerd about it.  I'm open to feedback.

Ideally if I was going all out on it I'd take it even further where as soon as XS29 was selected all the non-R/T options would go away, choose 4-speed and A/C goes away, and so on.  That's miles beyond my abilities right now.

cdr

I found this for sale & was going to inter the vin, but I find no C for engine code, or is that a g?

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

6bblgt

Quote from: cdr on August 07, 2016, 01:31:04 PMI found this for sale & was going to inter the vin, but I find no C for engine code, or is that a g?

it's a "G"

cdr

Ideally if I was going all out on it I'd take it even further where as soon as XS29 was selected all the non-R/T options would go away, choose 4-speed and A/C goes away, and so on.  That's miles beyond my abilities right now.

HOMERR leave it like this, that way it can help find fake fender tags.