News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overflow Bottle

Started by 69bfan, August 22, 2016, 08:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bfan

We are in the process of documenting the various overflow bottles as used on the 71 to 74 B-Bodies for the purpose of reproducing them.  We currently have a bottle that we sell that is actually designed for the 73 to 74 E-Bodies.  People have used it in the past on their 71 to 74 B-Bodies, even though it would work for the purpose of an overflow bottle, it is not correct.  We have had numerous request for these bottles, but have had very little luck locating them.  This year on Sunday at Carlisle, I was able to purchase a NOS Overflow Bottle for the 71 to 72 B-Bodies.  Then at the Mopar Nats, a gentleman inquired about an overflow bottle for his 73 Charger.  He has a very nice used one.  This gentleman was gracious enough to loan us this bottle for the purpose of reproducing the bottles.  I have also been able to locate the 73 and up A-Body overflow bottle.  So the question is:  Are there any other radiator overflow bottles that were original to the 71 to 74 B-Bodies that came factory equipped or over the parts counter.  The 71 to 72 B-Body unit was also used on the C-Body applications, just a different bracket.  The 73 bottle does not even look like the 71 to 72 style, but the brackets look like something that is factory and this is a one owner car.  Any insight would be appreciated.  I have looked at numerous 71 to 74 B-Body cars for this purpose and have talked to several collectors who deal predominately with these years and they all tell me that the bottles are very difficult to find.  Also any information that would pertain to the 70 to 72 E-Body overflow bottles would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard O'Shields
Restoration Parts and Materials
r.l.oshields@att.net
404-643-5760
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

brad mcintyre

what was on 1st gen b body any pic mine is beer can

sdweatherman

Richard - awesome that you are taking this on. If the overflow bottles are anything like the washer bottles, the plastic become very brittle over time. Hard to locate good originals. Looks like you are doing your homework here on the forum. If you make a good quality reproduction, then you should have no problem selling many down the road. Thanks, Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

tan top

Quote from: brad mcintyre on August 23, 2016, 06:44:27 AM

as far as I know  , first generations  never got a over flow bottle  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: tan top on August 23, 2016, 11:54:56 AM

as far as I know  , first generations  never got a over flow bottle  :scratchchin:

Of all the '72 Chargers I've had...

I don't think any of them had an overflow bottle. :shruggy:

69bfan

From the initial research, the overflow bottles are not that common on the 71 to 72 B-Bodies.  Then in 73, we are seeing them much more in use from the factory.  That is the reason that we already have the 73 E-Body application and will be doing the 73 A-Body application.  Since people that drive these cars are looking for the correct overflow bottles, that is the logic in making them.  Granted they will not sell like a windshield washer bottle for the 68 to 70 B-Bodies, but we continue to get request and that is the logic in doing these.  The other incentive is that the 71 to 72 B-Body overflow bottle was also much more common on the 71 to 73 C-Bodies and this will help in recouping the initial investment.  One other question is, was there ever a factory issued overflow bottle for the 70 to 72 E-Body applications.  In all of the years that we have offered the 73 style E-Body overflow bottle, nobody has ever asked or mentioned having one on there car.  Again, I believe that it goes back to the changes that took place going into the 73 model production runs that we are seeing changes in body mounts, bumpers, engine configurations, etc.  Again, all information is appreciated.
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 23, 2016, 12:10:34 PM

Of all the '72 Chargers I've had...

I don't think any of them had an overflow bottle. :shruggy:

My '71 doesn't have one either.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

69bfan

Thanks for the link to the 71 to 74 site.  I have talked to Jimmy Boros on the bottles and awaiting some more information.  The  E-Bay link to the overflow bottle is actually the 73 to 74 E-Body application that people have sold as a replacement but the the bottles are different.  The 71 to 72 bottle has a two piece bracket, but is long and slender.  The 73 bottle is small and square and I am still trying to confirm what the 74 bottle looked like.  From the research, there is not any rhyme to reason on which cars came equipped with the bottle.

VegasCharger

Also on the 73-74 B overflow bottles, wasn't there a difference between the large radiator overflow bottle vs the small radiator overflow bottle?

CDN72SE

Welcome 69bfan and good luck.
1972 Charger SE

69bfan

So is there now a large and small overflow bottle for the 73 to 74 B-Bodies?  I know that the 73 to 76 A-Body overflow bottles have all been the long slender style. 

rtsb

I've been looking for one of these for 6 months since I purchased a 1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 BB 2bbl. If you guys are going to reproduce these I'm a very happy camper .
Here's a link to one.
http://www.hiltopautoparts.com/product/nos-mopar-coolant-recovery-tank-1972-4-plymouth-dodge-b-body/

69bfan

That is a completely different than the 73 bottle that I have and is different than the NOS 71 to 72 bottle that we currently have as well.  Obviously, there is even more information to verify.  I will have to check, but I do not recall any noticeable part numbers, logos or other distinguishing marks on the four bottles the we currently have.  Thanks for the link, as we will now be possibly having to purchase this bottle as well to complete the coverage.

Chargerguy74

All my 74s and one of my 73s have the bottle on the right (I forgot to check one of them). One of my 73s had the bottle on the left, but its part number is not for a Charger.

Part number for one out of a 74 (bottle on the right). Not the same pn as in the 74 catalog (3673834) but I imagine they have a different casting number.

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

69bfan

Chargerguy, the unit on the left in your picture is the 73 and up unit as I found on the A-Body applications.  Could you post a picture of the attaching bracket for your 73 bottle?  I did hear back from Jimmy Boros and he believes  that there is only the one style as found on the 71 to 72 cars and we have an NOS sample with brackets to work from for this application.  It appears that by 74, the overflow bottle was becoming more of a standard issue thing, but not exactly sure if it was found on all of these cars.  Untouched cars are becoming so hard to find and unless someone is able to document the history back to day one, things have a history of getting changed and the story behind the change also changes with time.  Thus the reason to determine as much as possible prior to jumping into this venture.  The molds for these bottles are fairly large especially considering say a early A or B-Body washer jar and therefore the increase in cost from a tooling perspective and the final cost to the consumer.

Chargerguy74

I did manage to snap one yesterday.

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

ODZKing

Correct.  First gen's did not have one. However I got tired of it spitting up so I searched and came up with this. It fits perfectly on my 383.
It is Mitsubishi and the part number is MR188696.

ODZKing

Sorry for the hijack there ... here are the part numbers for the coolant recovery tanks from the collision manual.  They are not always the same as the embossed number on the tanks as the tank # is the just that, the number of the tank. If you place a bracket on it, not it becomes as Chrysler called it and "assembly" and that had a different number.
anyway:
1971 - 3412849
1972 - 3574151
1973-4 - (V8) 3673834.
So clearly there are different tanks as you have stated Richard.
Mine is a 73 and I'd have to remove it to take more pics ... but it is as pictured previously on right.

I'll tell you what would be a helpful repop is the windshield washer reservoir for 73-4 WITH cruise control. I can post pics if interested but I had a hell of a time finding one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nacho-RT74

I got two cruise control windshield reservoirs. One used and the other NOS that I found really cheap... But I don't like the NOS one. It seems badly made. It seems got some problem on the casting process and plastic looks like a spider web "cracks".
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1970 RT/SE

The potential problem with reproducing the Bbody 72 style is that not only does the bottle have a bracket riveted to it but then there are two more brackets needed to attach it which are super hard to find. I have the upper bracket but can't find an original lower  bracket.  Jimmy Boros had the brackets cast in aluminum which are nice but I have been trying to hold out for original. My two cents. Good luck.

69bfan

Jimmy has been a wealth of information for the 71 to 72 model cars.  We have sourced the brackets and Jimmy has already sourced the decals for the top bracket.  Granted the bottom bracket is a bit complex, but we have two shops that can readily make them up.  We have like wise been able to locate the brackets for the C-Body application as it makes sense to do this unit as the same tank is used on the C-Bodies and are found on more of the C-Bodies.  The brackets are different is a bummer though.  I would be interested in seeing a picture of the washer bottle for the cars with cruise control.  Is this washer bottle only used on the 73 to the 74 B-Bodies or do you happen to know if it branched over to the C-Bodies as well.  All of this information is valuable and we are continuing to see more and more request for the third generation parts.  Both Carlisle and The Nats had very strong sales for the few parts that are available for these cars.  So please keep the information coming as we proceed with this project.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 69bfan on August 27, 2016, 08:31:41 PM
 I would be interested in seeing a picture of the washer bottle for the cars with cruise control.  Is this washer bottle only used on the 73 to the 74 B-Bodies or do you happen to know if it branched over to the C-Bodies as well.  All of this information is valuable and we are continuing to see more and more request for the third generation parts.  Both Carlisle and The Nats had very strong sales for the few parts that are available for these cars.  So please keep the information coming as we proceed with this project.

Will post later one of the ones I have still at home I think... The other one it's at the body shop, thousand of miles of home
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

here the pics of the NOS I found, oviouslly with motor removed ( you can see the rivet and wire for it cut ). Actually I expected to get it better, but pics lied... was overexposed with flash and on the auction I won it looked "whitie"

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 69bfan on August 23, 2016, 08:45:52 PM
From the initial research, the overflow bottles are not that common on the 71 to 72 B-Bodies.  Then in 73, we are seeing them much more in use from the factory. 

that's becuse becomes standard since 73, previously was optional or part of an specific equippment, but never standard on any car assemblied