News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to purchase interior from?

Started by garner7555, September 29, 2016, 12:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

Where do you recommend to buy interior from?   I need new door panels, upper door pads, dash pad, headliner, ect.   My car is going to be a nice driver but not a trailer queen, I do want good quality but also don't want to spend unnecessary extra money just because it is more like the oem piece.  My car is far from original anyway.  haha.   Thanks for all your help and opinions.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

timmycharger

I am a big fan of Legendary interiors. I purchased my seat covers, headliner, and package tray from Dante's Mopar parts. Prices were pretty good from what I remember.

Mopar Nut

Legendary Interiors would be the top end, PUI is cheaper, more for a driver. What's your budget?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

303 Mopar

Legendary - do it right and do it once
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Troy

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 29, 2016, 01:48:28 PM
Unless you have a 69 - then you get to chase seat buttons for the rest of your life. ;) Do they still have that issue?

For most interior pieces I'd agree on Legendary. I tend to like the BE&A upper door pads a little better. For carpet, the ACC stuff works for most people and is very reasonable. I like purchasing as much as I can from Dante's - and he will steer you in the right direction on anything that can be had from multiple manufacturers. I haven't honestly looked at any of the dash pads on the market so I have no opinion.

When PUI first came out they seemed to have a lot of detractors. I haven't heard too many complaints recently - but I also don't believe I've seen any of their stuff installed in a car in person (doesn't mean I haven't, just that I didn't know it was PUI). I do know that they have a decent reputation for parts for other car brands. If the price is significantly cheaper it might be worth checking in to. However, a lot of this stuff is oversized so you really don't want to have to deal with return shipping. Again, I'd have a conversation with Dante when placing your order.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lukedukem

Quote from: Troy on September 29, 2016, 02:07:41 PM
Unless you have a 69 - then you get to chase seat buttons for the rest of your life. ;) Do they still have that issue?

For most interior pieces I'd agree on Legendary. I tend to like the BE&A upper door pads a little better. For carpet, the ACC stuff works for most people and is very reasonable. I like purchasing as much as I can from Dante's - and he will steer you in the right direction on anything that can be had from multiple manufacturers. I haven't honestly looked at any of the dash pads on the market so I have no opinion.

When PUI first came out they seemed to have a lot of detractors. I haven't heard too many complaints recently - but I also don't believe I've seen any of their stuff installed in a car in person (doesn't mean I haven't, just that I didn't know it was PUI). I do know that they have a decent reputation for parts for other car brands. If the price is significantly cheaper it might be worth checking in to. However, a lot of this stuff is oversized so you really don't want to have to deal with return shipping. Again, I'd have a conversation with Dante when placing your order.

Troy

Not sure if they still do. i imagine, unless they changed something, but i haven't heard. i lost yet another one but this time on my passenger seat. the guy i took for a ride was really apologetic. i told him no worries, he was surprised.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

birdsandbees

Well, I ordered a big chunk of stuff from Legendary. Top notch, other than the $492US dash pad. Their dash pad is almost PERFECT in detail for shape, form and function but it has zero visible grain in it. I tried to work with them, sent mine back in May and 4 months later they tell me that's the best they could do for grain and I'm waiting for my credit. If they'd just get the grain in it like the cheap Chinese one that B / E sells they'd have a concurs item but they don't seem to want to go that extra mile. The B & E one has no proper shape detail to it, but nice grain. I documented it in my "tearing my Bee down" thread.

I'm back to cleaning up my original in my dash restoration.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

garner7555

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 29, 2016, 01:30:17 PM
Legendary Interiors would be the top end, PUI is cheaper, more for a driver. What's your budget?

I don't really have a budget, but that doesn't mean money is no problem.  I just want good quality, but don't have to have supper expensive NOS or exact replica of original.  I don't want to overpay just for a "name" but I want quality that will last well.    :yesnod:    Thanks   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Quote from: Troy on September 29, 2016, 02:07:41 PM

Troy

Mine is a 69 but I am using black leather seats out of a Lexus convertible.  I wanted some side support for the curves.  :2thumbs:  My car is kinda pro-touring (QA1, Hotchkis, 14" Brembos, EFI 440) so looking exactly the same as OEM is not as big of an issue as quality products that will hold up.   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Thanks for the advice guys!   :2thumbs:  It really helps!   Keep the comments coming.   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

69bfan

The thing to look out for is that all of the vendors buy from different manufactures.  There is basically two companies making up items like the package trays or glove boxes, so your big vendors like Legendary, Classic Industries or Year One is basically buying from them and marking it up.  I know items like headliners are basically from one company unless you  are buying NOS material and the markup is HUGE.  Also I do not know what all you are looking to purchase, but the shipping on items like seat dividers and package trays will cost as much as the part.  Legendary is running specials at various times so that could be beneficial to you.  I will send you a pm.
Thanks,
Richard
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

lukedukem

You ever thought about making your own door panels.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

garner7555

Quote from: lukedukem on September 30, 2016, 07:36:20 PM
You ever thought about making your own door panels.

Luke

Yes, years ago I was gonna tig up some aluminum door panels.  Now that I'm a little older I want to go back with something semi-original.   I have not ruled out making some interior trim to save cost, especially the flat door panels.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Laowho

It's a little frustrating. The original rear bench and panels have me really needing to get the right bucket covers, but good luck getting a decent picture of these anywhere. Best I've managed so far is in the Classic catalog for fabric swath & color pics, and for detailed description. These seem to be the same (as?) Legendary covers (both use same color code). Will also be ordering a quart of the same color for seat backs, kick panels, etc. Haven't found the headliner we want yet, but a black and white catalog, and website with half the pictures missing, doesn't help much.

edit: Think we found the headliner at Stock Interiors. Good selection.

pps. Just saved $107, or about 18% total, on Classic Industries sale. Just saw the email ad today and says it ends tonight. No matter--got our (Legendary) seat covers, interior rear window trim, and quart of paint. Ooh...forgot carpet... :scratchchin: ...and seat bumpers...man, got about 20 things listed. Must prioritize.

Laowho

Well, gotta say, Legendary really nails their seat covers. Perfect match to the pristine rear bench (except the stitching is blue instead of natural). Not bein able to see them online or in the Legendary catalog had me a little itchy, specially when considerin the aftermarket covers on the car now, but no worries. The reputation is well-deserved. Gotta hand it to Classic Industries too--everything arrived w/i 3 days of the order.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Laowho on October 28, 2016, 05:38:05 PM
Gotta hand it to Classic Industries too--everything arrived w/i 3 days of the order.

30% off sale going on right now NEL16.
:Twocents:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Bronzedodge

Legendary really did right by me this year - I brought them the latest saddle button that popped off at Carlisle.  Fella at the tent looked at the stem, said they haven't used that type in 10 years.  Likely true, the 1st owner had the seats done just before I bought the car in '96.  They sent me a complete set of buttons for the front buckets - FREE!  That's customer service.  The front covers for my Demon are nice as well, bought them in '93 or so.    :2thumbs:
Mopar forever!

Lennard

::) Now all they need to do is send the other thousands of people that have the same problem (including myself), a bag with new buttons for FREE.

lukedukem

1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Laowho

Just wanna add sumthin that I just tried. Came from an old VW bus restorer. I originally cleaned the original rear bench w/ lacquer thinner (knowin the vinyl was color fast), and this did a decent enough job cleaning, and opens the pores a bit to maybe receive some baby oil. Just did a cleaning with GOOP hand cleaner, and what a difference. Much brighter color and all the gray in the krinkles lifted out in one easy scrub and rinse.