News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Back up lights (reverse lights) not working

Started by Lg369dc, October 03, 2016, 07:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lg369dc

Hi guys. I am trying to simply replace the bulbs on my reverse lights and cannot get the fixture to open. I've got the retainer clips out, and the lights out of the car completely. Are the lens just stuck in there or is there a trick to getting to the bulb? I am afraid to pry or push too hard and break them. Any insight would be most appreciated.

Recently we had the tranny rebuilt and I just noticed the reverse lights are not working. Honestly I am not sure if they were working before. The tranny shop ran test on wires and nss and they think they are good.

Just FYI, I have been reading here for a while now. This is an amazing resource. I am restoring (to a casual driver) my dad's 69 Charger. Lots of little odds and ends still to go.

Thanks

Charger-Bodie

Make sure the wiring is plugged in on the transmission . Right by the shifter. It's a two prong.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Lg369dc

It is. We double checked that plug. It is a three prong on my car, but yes, it is plugged in. Just not sure if the lens comes out after the retainer ring comes out or if the chrome bezel slides off the back of the fixture or not. From what I am able to tell, the lens just needs to come out, but it has to be removed carefully since the gasket underneath is really sticking to it.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Lg369dc on October 05, 2016, 09:03:24 AM
It is. We double checked that plug. It is a three prong on my car, but yes, it is plugged in. Just not sure if the lens comes out after the retainer ring comes out or if the chrome bezel slides off the back of the fixture or not. From what I am able to tell, the lens just needs to come out, but it has to be removed carefully since the gasket underneath is really sticking to it.

Sorry I was thinking four speed. Wires in good shape all the way up to the relay and bulkhead ?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Lg369dc

Yes, the wires appear to be in good shape all the way up, including all connectors. I got the lens out of the reverse lights. I bought a small micro hook kit made by General at lowes. It was small enough yet strong enough to get behind the lens and pull it out. But the bulbs are good. So my problem continues....

What am I missing?

I checked the fuses, they look good.

I cannot visually inspect wires all the way up from rear end to front, but its in the same wire strand as brake lights and those work fine.

The NSS plug I reversed and tried it that way too. Did not work.

Could the shop that rebuilt the tranny have messed up the internal contacts when it was being rebuilt?

Or could the NSS in the tranny have gone bad and just need to be replaced?
If it does need to be replaced, when I remove it, will I have any transmission fluid coming out?

Just 6T9 CHGR

If I remember correctly you can jump out the two outer wires & the lights should work.  That will confirm your harness & bulbs are working.
I seem to remember buying an aftermarket NSS and it was too "short" where the internal pawl in the trans wouldn't make contact with the switch button.  Are you using an OEM switch or a repro?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on October 05, 2016, 07:39:47 AM
Make sure the wiring is plugged in on the transmission . Right by the shifter. It's a two prong.

3 being auto
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 08, 2016, 12:07:27 PM
If I remember correctly you can jump out the two outer wires & the lights should work. 

agreed... unless the power source coming out from fuse box is not sourcing... for whatever reason
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Lg369dc

It was OEM. I tested wiring at the rear lights and they were not getting power, so after reading more decided to replace the NSS and of course that was the problem. $13 part from auto zone and it all works great. I was intimidated by the thought of switching something like that out,  but it was really easy. Messy, but easy. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll be posting more as I work through other items.