News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's your non-Mopar project car?

Started by Homerr, January 08, 2017, 09:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 17, 2017, 05:08:48 PM
Son's car - neighbor sold to him for 1$ but then never took the money.

A couple of years ago, I just missed out on a mid-90s 750 iL (V12) for $500.  It had been parked for a decade (engine ran but needed tuned) and needed repainted bad (oxidized paint).  The leather interior was mint, loaded with options and still had the sterling silver dining tray in the rear seat area.  That would have made a nice toy to play around with....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

nvrbdn

Getting it ready for paint.  :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

67tbird

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 17, 2017, 10:08:12 PM
Getting it ready for paint.  :yesnod:
did you get paint and whatever else you needed done on your Cougar?

redgum78

Quote from: Troy on January 08, 2017, 12:55:12 PM
I have a soft spot for Toyota 4x4s.

I check Craigslist off and on for Triumph Spitfires but then remind myself about how much I *DON'T* need another project.

Troy

Looks cool! I also have a soft spot for Toyota 4x4's. Almost got mine finished (I brought it in pieces). It still needs grill, bumper, seats and some interior to go in it. I couldn't wait though....after putting the transfer and gearbox back together and putting the engine back in I had to take her for a spin!

Troy

Quote from: redgum78 on January 19, 2017, 02:32:43 AM

I check Craigslist off and on for Triumph Spitfires but then remind myself about how much I *DON'T* need another project.

Troy

Looks cool! I also have a soft spot for Toyota 4x4's. Almost got mine finished (I brought it in pieces). It still needs grill, bumper, seats and some interior to go in it. I couldn't wait though....after putting the transfer and gearbox back together and putting the engine back in I had to take her for a spin!
Nice! I haven't gotten into the older stuff. I'm partial to the 1989-1995 pickups. They just have the right "look". I run across old FJs once in a while but they are expensive!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

redgum78

Quote from: Troy on January 19, 2017, 01:54:14 PM

Troy

Nice! I haven't gotten into the older stuff. I'm partial to the 1989-1995 pickups. They just have the right "look". I run across old FJs once in a while but they are expensive!

Troy

I heard the FJ's are getting expensive in the US. In Australia they are starting to creep up in price but there are still good buys around. Here is another Toyota 4x4 I own. 1986 Hilux. Its only got a 2.4 diesel in it. I fitted a turbo to it about 20 years ago when I was using it as my daily driver. When they came out here your options were 2 litre petrol or 2.4 litre non turbo diesel. They were very under powered! What engine is in your beast Troy?

Troy

Quote from: redgum78 on January 19, 2017, 04:56:49 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 19, 2017, 01:54:14 PM

Troy

Troy

I heard the FJ's are getting expensive in the US. In Australia they are starting to creep up in price but there are still good buys around. Here is another Toyota 4x4 I own. 1986 Hilux. Its only got a 2.4 diesel in it. I fitted a turbo to it about 20 years ago when I was using it as my daily driver. When they came out here your options were 2 litre petrol or 2.4 litre non turbo diesel. They were very under powered! What engine is in your beast Troy?
Um, well, I like engine swaps so that one currently has a 3.4 V6 from a 98 4Runner in it. I was in the process of swapping in the 351W that came in my Mustang when I read about the 3.4 swaps and went that direction. Not as much power as the V8 but it keeps the EFI and all the factory parts. It's an easy swap and looks reasonably stock. I don't have any pictures online though.

I forgot you were in Australia - you guys have Toyota trucks everywhere! On my last trip I stopped at a salvage yard and almost snagged some right hand drive steering boxes. Guys over here use them in place of the idler arms (that always seem to wear out too quickly). I bet it works the other way too!

Troy

redgum78

QuoteUm, well, I like engine swaps so that one currently has a 3.4 V6 from a 98 4Runner in it. I was in the process of swapping in the 351W that came in my Mustang when I read about the 3.4 swaps and went that direction. Not as much power as the V8 but it keeps the EFI and all the factory parts. It's an easy swap and looks reasonably stock. I don't have any pictures online though.

I forgot you were in Australia - you guys have Toyota trucks everywhere! On my last trip I stopped at a salvage yard and almost snagged some right hand drive steering boxes. Guys over here use them in place of the idler arms (that always seem to wear out too quickly). I bet it works the other way too!

Troy

Yep every man and his dog has a Toyota truck (we call them Utes which is short for utility vehicle). Lots of guys over here do a Buick V6 engine swap into them. The Buick V6 was used in Holden (GM) sedans over hear for years so they are laying around everywhere. Biggest issues is getting the engine change certified so it can be legally driven on the roads.

Troy

Quote from: redgum78 on January 19, 2017, 07:17:36 PM
QuoteUm, well, I like engine swaps so that one currently has a 3.4 V6 from a 98 4Runner in it. I was in the process of swapping in the 351W that came in my Mustang when I read about the 3.4 swaps and went that direction. Not as much power as the V8 but it keeps the EFI and all the factory parts. It's an easy swap and looks reasonably stock. I don't have any pictures online though.

Troy

Yep every man and his dog has a Toyota truck (we call them Utes which is short for utility vehicle). Lots of guys over here do a Buick V6 engine swap into them. The Buick V6 was used in Holden (GM) sedans over hear for years so they are laying around everywhere. Biggest issues is getting the engine change certified so it can be legally driven on the roads.
There's a popular swap GM swap here too (Chevy 4.0?) but it's really not much better than Toyota's V6. I guess if you had a 4 cyl it might be worth the trouble. We didn't get many diesels here or I'd probably get one to play with. My 98 Tacoma has 240k miles on it and I'm thinking of putting in a 5.9 Magnum when it dies. Due to a common supplier there is a factory bell housing that will mate the Dodge engine to the Toyota 5-speed. Of course then I need a completely separate engine management system (or I could carb it but what fun would that be?).

And where I live they don't much care what engine you slap in it... :P

Troy

68ChargerJMP

Troy

I hear ya on the old Toyotas....This is my DD, rear mount turbo and all.

68ChargerJMP

more

Homerr

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on January 24, 2017, 03:23:49 PM

Troy

WTF?!  Never heard of this.

GOTWING

Quote from: A383Wing on January 10, 2017, 08:47:23 PM
We have 8 cars total, all are Mopar related except the 2 below...a 1973 Pontiac Grandville convertible, and our newest car, a 2004 Mini Cooper S

In the early 90's i had a 72 Pont. Catalina 2 door, blue white top blue interior,400 ci. factory mag style rims, that thing was super dependable and had a great ride.

Troy

Quote from: Homerr on January 24, 2017, 08:49:16 PM

Troy

See how informative this site is!?! Well, it's a good way to learn how to blow money any way. :P

Troy

JR

Ooh are you in for a treat then. Some guys like them for building sleepers. There are other benefits too, but from what I understand, turbo lag can be an issue.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

redgum78

Quote from: JR on January 24, 2017, 11:17:55 PM

Ooh are you in for a treat then. Some guys like them for building sleepers. There are other benefits too, but from what I understand, turbo lag can be an issue.

I would imagine those rear mounted turbos are not as efficient as an engine mounted one. The biggest advantage of a turbo is to capture some of the wasted power that leaves the engine in the form of heat. Max heat and thus expansion which equals increase in pressure to spool up the turbine is right at the engine. Any experts out there that can comment on this? Are the losses significant or negligible?

alfaitalia

.....and lag must be monstrous....any engine designer will tell you to put the turbo as close as humanly possible to end engine to reduce lag....a foot at most (which is why its usually on the exhaust manifold).....not 10 feet! lol!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 25, 2017, 04:29:53 AM
.....and lag must be monstrous....any engine designer will tell you to put the turbo as close as humanly possible to end engine to reduce lag....a foot at most (which is why its usually on the exhaust manifold).....not 10 feet! lol!

True, its not as efficient as one mounted right off the header, but it is far from having monstrous lag. In my case, its a 4runner not a race car, so not really an issue, but it will go to full boost in under two seconds. I just wanted a little more power on hills, pulling a boat, etc... It has its benefits too...No intercooler needed because of the length of the charge pipe, no custom (expensive) header to fab up, no heat under the hood.

RCCDrew

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on January 25, 2017, 08:15:21 AM
Quote from: alfaitalia on January 25, 2017, 04:29:53 AM

True, its not as efficient as one mounted right off the header, but it is far from having monstrous lag. In my case, its a 4runner not a race car, so not really an issue, but it will go to full boost in under two seconds. I just wanted a little more power on hills, pulling a boat, etc... It has its benefits too...No intercooler needed because of the length of the charge pipe, no custom (expensive) header to fab up, no heat under the hood.
What kind of oiling system does your turbo have?

68ChargerJMP

What kind of oiling system does your turbo have?
[/quote]

I use a Shurflo 8000-643-210 scavenge pump to get the oil back to the engine.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 17, 2017, 05:08:48 PM
Son's car - neighbor sold to him for 1$ but then never took the money.

Let me guess...the sunroof leaks? ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Vegas_Nick

That is one awesome rig!

68ChargerJMP

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on January 28, 2017, 01:23:11 PM

That is one awesome rig!

I was trying to say thank you....i got the quote jacked up.