News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI fuel tank and pump

Started by Firetodd, January 30, 2017, 02:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetodd

I am sold on putting a throttle body efi system on my first gen charger with a 383. While I am still torn between the Fitech versus the Holley Sniper, I know that with either I will need a new fuel tank with electric fuel pump. Kind of stinks to replace the fuel tank when it is newer and in good condition, but I'm not willing to blow myself up putting in the fuel pump.

Since I cannot find a "fuel injection" tank, I am thinking of buying this tank from tanks inc: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=403/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd403.htm
And then adding this in-tank fuel pump (PA4): http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/mode=prod/prd84.htm
Has anyone does this on a first gen? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Todd

Charger4404spd

I used that setup in my 69. No problems and love the fact I dont have to listen to a loud pump mounted on the frame rail.

303 Mopar

I put this set up in my '70 Cuda when I swapped in a 392 Hemi.  It is nice quality and everything fit perfect.  I bought the entire FI set up from them (tank, pump, filter/regulator, lines, AN connectors). I even had them install the pump because I had heard there are issues with the sending unit.

I would speak with Tanks Inc directly to make sure you have the right pump and filter/regulator for your set up.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Aussiemadonmopars

Have a look at Redmists (member on the forum) fuel puck, it might work out a bit cheaper. It's what I'll be using.  :coolgleamA:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.850.html

JR

I have that setup on my 2nd gen and it's been great. No issues.

The only thing to keep in mind is be sure to order a set of cork gaskets for the pump and sender. The rubber ones will break down and start leaking when using fuel containing ethanol.

I use the cork gaskets along with aircraft sealer, and it's been rock solid for over a year.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on January 30, 2017, 03:32:32 PM
Have a look at Redmists (member on the forum) fuel puck, it might work out a bit cheaper. It's what I'll be using.  :coolgleamA:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.850.html

That's the route I went. I didn't know to use cork gaskets though. Shouldn't matter too much on mine because it will probably never see gas. I think I'm trying to set the record for the slowest resto ever. It sure looks good though!

Aussiemadonmopars

The addition of the Jake Fab fuel puck to the market makes it very affordable. Thanks Redmist.  :2thumbs:

INTMD8

Is there any baffling around that fuel puck? Looks like a nicely made piece but surprised you guys aren't getting fuel starvation.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Derwud

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 03, 2017, 11:35:15 AM
Is there any baffling around that fuel puck? Looks like a nicely made piece but surprised you guys aren't getting fuel starvation.

The Tanks Inc tank has a can style baffle where the pump sits.. So you should always have fuel.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

redmist

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on February 02, 2017, 03:22:50 PM
The addition of the Jake Fab fuel puck to the market makes it very affordable. Thanks Redmist.  :2thumbs:

Hey!

No problem!

In fact, I have created a code on the website for DC Members to get a 5% discount on orders. It's not much, but I like to help those who have helped me!

Enter DC2017 at checkout to get the discount!

Ryan
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

68CoronetRT

Been running Fitech for over a year now on the Tanks Inc tank and Walbro 255 in tank pump. Couldn't be happier with the car.

I'd love to go megasquirt/sequential direct port injection but that's alot of time I dont really have. Have ran megasquirt on 3 other vehicles and it's an awesome product! but for a weekend project this was the route I choose.

pipeliner

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on February 09, 2017, 08:14:07 PM
Been running Fitech for over a year now on the Tanks Inc tank and Walbro 255 in tank pump. Couldn't be happier with the car.

I'd love to go megasquirt/sequential direct port injection but that's alot of time I dont really have. Have ran megasquirt on 3 other vehicles and it's an awesome product! but for a weekend project this was the route I choose.
Thats the set up I want to run. I guess I need to run a block off plate where the mechanical pump went? Im not that great of a mechanic lol.

Dino

I was going to order the Walbro 255 GPA-4 pump as well. Is there any benefit in running the Aeromotive 340 pump with the fuel puck instead? I don't see myself needing the extra flow on a street cruiser but maybe I'm missing something.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68CoronetRT

Quote from: pipeliner on February 23, 2017, 09:27:33 PM

Thats the set up I want to run. I guess I need to run a block off plate where the mechanical pump went? Im not that great of a mechanic lol.

Yea, just get the Moroso plate. Cheap and simple.

68CoronetRT

Quote from: Dino on February 24, 2017, 11:09:15 AM
I was going to order the Walbro 255 GPA-4 pump as well. Is there any benefit in running the Aeromotive 340 pump with the fuel puck instead? I don't see myself needing the extra flow on a street cruiser but maybe I'm missing something.

Eh, unless your going to run E85. All the fuel puck is doing is making it like 2% easier to deal with the fuel lines, not that big of a deal. A 255 is more than enough pump for 500-600hp on pump gas.

Dino

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on February 24, 2017, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 24, 2017, 11:09:15 AM

Eh, unless your going to run E85. All the fuel puck is doing is making it like 2% easier to deal with the fuel lines, not that big of a deal. A 255 is more than enough pump for 500-600hp on pump gas.

Good to know, thanks. No not planning on running E85. 255 it is!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

pipeliner

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on February 24, 2017, 07:53:39 PM
Quote from: pipeliner on February 23, 2017, 09:27:33 PM

Thanks!!!

Yea, just get the Moroso plate. Cheap and simple.

Aussiemadonmopars

Maybe we can twist Redmists arm to make up a DC.com or a 2A fuel block off plate.  :2thumbs:

redmist

Pffftttt....

Easy.

Sorta! haah Honestly it would probably be fairly awesome to have a fuel block off plate with an NPT Port in it to run a turbo, or Pro-charger oil return.

Hmmm
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Aussiemadonmopars

Awesome, turboes and superchargers for everyone.  :yesnod: