News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger inner fender different? SB/BB

Started by Charger1973, April 21, 2006, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Ive owned 3 '73 Chargers...  2 were small blocks, 1 big block.  The small cars both had a metal plate with screws over the front shock area on both sides.  On my big block car however, the passenger side has a big rubber flap that covers much of the inner fender instead.  What is the purpose of this?  I just think it looks crappy and am wondering if I can use the inner fender from my small block parts car so it looks better?  Sorry I didnt get a chance to take any pics yet but im sure someone knows what im talking about. 

Charger1973

twilt

Yes, that is true... and correct........ I agree it looks like crap but it does make spark plug changes easier. :yesnod:

hemihead

I believe that the purpose of the rubber cover was for easier access.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

still debating about that, I think...

I like better the rubber matt covering the big cut out, BUT I STILL CAN NOT FIND THE USEFULL BIG CUT OUT instead the small plate about the engine... al parts that need to be replaced or checked on an engine are far away front from the cut out.

Spark plugs easier access ? Ok I need easier access on driver side not on passenger since there is plenty of room for that on passenger side since engine is out of center toward to driver side abount an inch and there is not steering stuff there. I get enough access from engine bay to spark plugs :P

Maybe to see better the engine serial numbers LOL... I don't think that either.

Maybe twilt and hemihead have found what to do with that big cut out to get access to engine, but I still haven't LOL...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Ok so will I be ok swapping the inner fender from my small block parts car?  I havent asked the body man yet, but it shouldnt be too difficult I wouldnt think...  I just want to make sure I wont regret it later and not be able to go back

RallyeMike

A big block in an original small block 73-74 car is still maintainable. I have a pal who had the same questions, and it worked out fine. Spark plugs on the passenger side are never fun either way, but you can get to them. I have never removed the rubber cover on my 74 BB car to do any type of maintenance whether it was engine of suspension - and I've owned the car almost 20 years.

I don't think it is worth the effort unless the appearance of it being an original big block car is important to you.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Charger1973

Well my car is a big block car already I just dont like the look of the passenger inner fender.  Basically I would be removing the big block passenger inner fender and installing one from a small block car.  But my car will still be a big block.  Confused yet?   ;)

The Ghoul

surprised nacho didn't catch this.
The passengers side inner fender is different in the respect that you pointed out.
They both used the same fender "plug" in the stamping plant. That is to say that they are the same inner fender but instead of going to the small block press where the small cut-out was punched the big block ones went and got a bigger hole punched. They are the same contours and shapes.
The main reason the big blocks got the bigger cut out was because the headers would hit agents the small block cut out (the metal strip just below the hole). Also as pointed out it would have been darn hard to change the plugs.
If your looking for a simple out, just cut the metal to make the small block opening extend all the way to the frame.
If your sick in the head like me, have fun with spot welds.

Rack

Ghoul, could the explanation you gave above be the same reason there was welding done on the inner passenger fender on my '68?

I had suspected the welding was there due to it being in an accident, but maybe not.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: The Ghoul on June 25, 2006, 12:52:18 AM
surprised nacho didn't catch this.
The passengers side inner fender is different in the respect that you pointed out.
They both used the same fender "plug" in the stamping plant. That is to say that they are the same inner fender but instead of going to the small block press where the small cut-out was punched the big block ones went and got a bigger hole punched. They are the same contours and shapes.
The main reason the big blocks got the bigger cut out was because the headers would hit agents the small block cut out (the metal strip just below the hole). Also as pointed out it would have been darn hard to change the plugs.
If your looking for a simple out, just cut the metal to make the small block opening extend all the way to the frame.
If your sick in the head like me, have fun with spot welds.

OK... Maybe I never thought on try to change BB spark plugs on a SB car with the plate will be a kick on ass damn thing... sorry but here In Venezuela all 73/74 were assemblied BB ( 400 ) no SBs, just on 71/72 where all inner fenders are the same to any block

WOW, I was thinking at first that you guys were talking about try to get acces to engine THROUGHT that hole and not that the rubber pad is to GET ROOM on that side pushing the rubber pad to insert the rachet, extension and spark socket assembly and change the spark plugs, saving from try to deal with the casted inner fender in the middle. NOW SOUNDS LOGICAL TO ME that difference.

I don't think plant would think on aftermarket headers anyway to make that difference.

Sorry, I rarelly have needed to change park plugs and try to deal with room to make that. Next time will think on that and "imagine" on a SB inner fender. I'll have to check inner fender size and shape wiith internet pics and try to mentally fit on my car when I change the spark plugs.

But still think what is REALLY A KICK ON ASS try to change spark number 3 ( also the rest of driver side but specially that one ) with steering box and hose in the middle LOL. Compared with that, passenger side is a piece of cake with any inner fender kind.

Does somebody have a pic of a BB on a SB car on passenger side ? I'll try to compare room and mentally try to fit the rachet, extension and socket assembly on that setup.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 25, 2006, 09:47:07 AM
Does somebody have a pic of a BB on a SB car on passenger side ? I'll try to compare room and mentally try to fit the rachet, extension and socket assembly on that setup.

I am sure someone here does, I would really like to see a pic as well.

The Ghoul

Quote from: Rack on June 25, 2006, 01:16:50 AM
Ghoul, could the explanation you gave above be the same reason there was welding done on the inner passenger fender on my '68?

I had suspected the welding was there due to it being in an accident, but maybe not.

That looks like a 'hit' reapair to me.
I dont know that much about the 2ed gens or even the 71-72 chargers.
I'm just making comments based on what I have seen.
I dont see any advantage (other than genral repair) of replacing that section on yours.

DANF

Hey Charger1973!

What did you ever do with that Inner Fender hole???   I have a 74' 440 car I'm cleaning the engine compartmet to drop in my fresh 440 and that rubber peice is hammered.  Does anyone know where I can get a new peice or should I just cut one myself?  Is there a tin replacement out there?
I went to the local Mopar Car Show and saw a 73' with a tin cover replacing this rubber.  I got a picture.  Didn't seem like it would be a trouble to find but....now I know.

Any help is appreciated.

DANF

mridolfo

Quote from: DANF on August 21, 2006, 03:48:01 PM
Hey Charger1973!

What did you ever do with that Inner Fender hole???   I have a 74' 440 car I'm cleaning the engine compartmet to drop in my fresh 440 and that rubber peice is hammered.  Does anyone know where I can get a new peice or should I just cut one myself?  Is there a tin replacement out there?
I went to the local Mopar Car Show and saw a 73' with a tin cover replacing this rubber.  I got a picture.  Didn't seem like it would be a trouble to find but....now I know.

Any help is appreciated.

DANF

I think Year one sells a replacement cover.

Charger1973

havent been around the boards much lately, sent you an email dan

41husk

Quote from: mridolfo on August 22, 2006, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: DANF on August 21, 2006, 03:48:01 PM
Hey Charger1973!

Any help is appreciated.
I would be interested in getting the rubber piece for a big block as well.

DANF

I think Year one sells a replacement cover.

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up