News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oregon’s $1,000 impact tax on 20-year-old vehicles

Started by Mopar Nut, February 14, 2017, 03:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Troy

Hmmm.... well, it died quickly but that seems a bit excessive! More than the value of some of those cars...

Which is likely the point. Newer cars generate more revenue and pollute less. Some people can't afford new cars - but if you make old cars more expensive then they have no choice. Same thing as raising gas taxes so more people turn to alternative fuels. It's manipulating a market.

Some of these comments are hilarious!
http://www.ktvz.com/news/mclane-blasts-democrats-proposed-1000-old-car-tax/325860804

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Troy on February 14, 2017, 04:32:34 PM
Hmmm.... well, it died quickly but that seems a bit excessive! More than the value of some of those cars...

Which is likely the point. Newer cars generate more revenue and pollute less. Some people can't afford new cars - but if you make old cars more expensive then they have no choice. Same thing as raising gas taxes so more people turn to alternative fuels. It's manipulating a market.

Some of these comments are hilarious!
http://www.ktvz.com/news/mclane-blasts-democrats-proposed-1000-old-car-tax/325860804

Troy

entertaining..... :icon_smile_big:

Highbanked Hauler

I was talking to a Vette owner at a Charlotte Nc. car show last year and if I understood him right he said that the county (most things are by county here) is using an evaluation sales guide  to set personal property tax on collector vehicles. It has been that a collector car is valued at $1000. and you pay whatever the rate is.  Now if the car is valued at 50K you could get stuck paying personal property tax on that much. Times are changing ???
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 02, 2017, 02:09:49 PM
  I was talking to a Vette owner at a Charlotte Nc. car show last year and if I understood him right he said that the county (most things are by county here) is using an evaluation sales guide  to set personal property tax on collector vehicles. It has been that a collector car is valued at $1000. and you pay whatever the rate is.  Now if the car is valued at 50K you could get stuck paying personal property tax on that much. Times are changing ???

No revenue stream will be unexplored.   This also applies to whatever political party you think are "the good guys".   

RallyeMike

The same people who want to place this type of tax on old cars to save the environment are the same people who complain about tax inequities on the poor. What wealth class of people do they think owns most of the 20 year old cars?  :slap:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

cooldude

Looks like just another control move to force people into computerized cars. More money for the tech companies, more control and spying on the people, and less freedom for everyone.

Oh yes, more taxes on the backs of the poor.

I can see why any corrupt politician would like this.  :icon_smile_angry:

alfaitalia

Quote from: cooldude on March 13, 2017, 09:27:39 AM
Looks like just another control move to force people into computerized cars. More money for the tech companies, more control and spying on the people, and less freedom for everyone.

Lol....you have been watching too many Conspiracy Theory films!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

QuoteLol....you have been watching too many Conspiracy Theory films!

Nope, just observed US govt in action too long. 

Charger RT

of the 8 cars I own only one is less then 20 years old.
Tim

Johnnymopar

I was talking to a Vette owner at a Charlotte Nc. car show last year and if I understood him right he said that the county (most things are by county here) is using an evaluation sales guide  to set personal property tax on collector vehicles. It has been that a collector car is valued at $1000. and you pay whatever the rate is.  Now if the car is valued at 50K you could get stuck paying personal property tax on that much. Times are changing ???

This is complete bs on the government's part.  Property tax I understand - water, sewer, garbage pickup city services, etc. etc.  Now they tax you yearly on a car you own outright, that is ludicrous!  How does one justify taxing a personal item like a car!?  Just for owning it!  I understand the sales tax when you buy it and insurance and road taxes when you drive it, but an ownership tax! Wow.  

I'm Canadian but if I remember my history right, didn't the American Revolution happen in large part to ludicrous taxes?  When people stop owning things I guess there will be a tax for breathing the air.  

Kern Dog

Quote from: Charger RT on March 13, 2017, 07:29:50 PM
of the 8 cars I own only one is less then 20 years old.
Tim

This comment made me laugh. I have a similar inventory.

2007 Ram       10 years old.
1975 W200      42 years old.
1970 Charger   47 years old.
1973 Dart 340  44 years old.
1973 Swinger   44 years old.
1971 Duster     46 years old.
1967 Dart GT   50 years old.
1965 Dart        52 years old.
1965 Valiant     52 years old.

BDF

Quote from: Johnnymopar on March 13, 2017, 11:31:52 PM
 I was talking to a Vette owner at a Charlotte Nc. car show last year and if I understood him right he said that the county (most things are by county here) is using an evaluation sales guide  to set personal property tax on collector vehicles. It has been that a collector car is valued at $1000. and you pay whatever the rate is.  Now if the car is valued at 50K you could get stuck paying personal property tax on that much. Times are changing ???

This is complete bs on the government's part.  Property tax I understand - water, sewer, garbage pickup city services, etc. etc.  Now they tax you yearly on a car you own outright, that is ludicrous!  How does one justify taxing a personal item like a car!?  Just for owning it!  I understand the sales tax when you buy it and insurance and road taxes when you drive it, but an ownership tax! Wow.  

I'm Canadian but if I remember my history right, didn't the American Revolution happen in large part to ludicrous taxes?  When people stop owning things I guess there will be a tax for breathing the air.  
THEY WANT TO TAX COW FARTS.

alfaitalia

Its the other way round here....cars OVER 40 years old don't even have to pay road tax. And pre 1960 they don't even have to annual safety inspection....not so keen on that one as not every old car owners is an enthusiast with a well maintained toy.

cooldude

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 13, 2017, 09:41:34 AM
Quote from: cooldude on March 13, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Lol....you have been watching too many Conspiracy Theory films!

I dont think that the govt should use govt legal violence to socialengineer every single aspect of our lives, even forcing us to buy and drive cars to track us, spy on what is said in the cab, monitor everything we do and go, how fast we get there, and of course, all to funnel our money into the venues that the big shots just happen to make a huge profit from.

Did somebody say something about freedom in America, or was that just something I saw in an old movie once?

alfaitalia

Lol....unless they suspect you of doing something very bad they would neither care nor bother wasting expensive resources to listen to or track you.....even of they can....which I doubt on 99.9% of vehicles. And if you or someone has done something bad....like kill a member of your family....you might be glad the Government has that ability to find them.....if they do!!

I've noticed several of your posts with a similar.....the powers are out to get us...... theme. Live your life and don't worry about it! Even if its true...what can you do about it?....nothing, that's what!!

timmycharger

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 15, 2017, 11:05:01 AM
Lol....unless they suspect you of doing something very bad they would neither care nor bother wasting expensive resources to listen to or track you.....even of they can....which I doubt on 99.9% of vehicles. And if you or someone has done something bad....like kill a member of your family....you might be glad the Government has that ability to find them.....if they do!!

exactly..

just in case, you could always wear one of these..

Mike DC

Quoteunless they suspect you of doing something very bad they would neither care nor bother wasting expensive resources to listen to or track you..

That was true back when Orwell wrote '84. 

But Orwell didn't foresee modern software.

"Info/data laundering" is a thing now.

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cooldude

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 15, 2017, 11:05:01 AM

I've noticed several of your posts with a similar.....the powers are out to get us...... theme. Live your life and don't worry about it! Even if its true...what can you do about it?....nothing, that's what!!

For one thing, they are supposed to get a warrant to do that, ALA the 4th Amendment, which nobody seems to pay any attention to these days.

Secondly, our information is collected by non law enforcement, and often sold to people who market and advertise. Free market research, illegally gained.

And then there are the hackers and criminals.

So,dont try to brand me as some kind of nutter. Thats honestly, a dirty and dishonest tactic, and it wont work.

Im a reasonable American who cares about our Constitutional Rights, and our safety, and Im in the majority. Every decent and reasonable citizen feels the same. Key words being "decent and reasonable"

Im a veteran after all, and I did actually serve to protect our freedoms. I dont like to see them thrown away by crooked politicians who buy and sell our freedoms every day to the highest bidders, like stocks on the NYSE.

And then to get called some kind of nut case because I object to wrongdoing.

Laowho

Every state has career legislators and legislative sessions approaching 6-months on average. Moreover, legislative law has long since usurped many areas where common law once controlled. That's a lotta law bein made everywhere, the only real justification bein the legislatures/legislators themselves as assumed necessary/a given. And speakin of Orwell, check out his 1946 Politics and the English Language and see whether we haven't all been reduced to speaking like politicians and cops. No more cars, only "vehicles;" no more persons, only "individuals."  This doesn't require conspiracy theories, just a willingness to hear and see, unless of course part of the state rhetoric has also managed to convince you to surrender independent thought b/c slogans and labels are just easier for coping. But if so, any grade school student knows that doing so contributes absolutely nothing to public discourse, unless it's someone's aim to stifle it through ignorant ad hominem attacks. Gotta love a name-caller/accuser...cuz nobody else will. So no offense alfa, but we've all had enuf of bein told what to say and how to think, usually by people who neither know nor give a shit about us. That might be executive privilege, but when it's just neighbor on neighbor dictate, that might be mere rudeness of the chilling effect sort. Strange thing for a public forum. If, OTOH, you're concerned for your brother, I'm most happy to stand corrected. Maybe you're just a misunderstood genius, and think that "Don't worry, be happy" is the summum bonum of existence, but if so, where's the usefulness in trying to put others down with your own admitted (voluntary) ignorance of the questions involved? Or are you just bein a good and loyal subject of the crown and tryin to get cooldude to get back in step w/ the program? Conspiring minds wanna know.

http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/

Cheers

alfaitalia

BDF

I'm sure everything will be just fine when all the "rules" have been figured out. :pity:
https://www.regulations.gov/ :eek2:

BDF

Quote from: BDF on March 14, 2017, 12:04:02 AM
Quote from: Johnnymopar on March 13, 2017, 11:31:52 PM

THEY WANT TO TAX COW FARTS.
Just in case anyone thought I was kidding or simply being crude:
http://www.naturalnews.com/055246_climate_change_cow_farts_greenhouse_gases.html
:brickwall:

XH29N0G

The world is so complicated. 

Road use taxes on old cars, road use fees on electric and hybrid vehicles.  Cow fart taxes. 

I would hate to be the person who had to fill out that tax form:  "Instruction for line 78c.  Multiply the number of times your cows farted last year by 0.00034 and subtract the value of your cow fart exemption (line 78b), Instruction for line 79a, enter the value for line 78c, unless line 76d is higher.  Instruction for line 76d: multiply the age of your car by your standard deduction."

What am I going to do....

Notice I said nothing about conspiracies.  That is because I know something secret and am too scared to say.  :nana:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....