News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't figure this forum out

Started by rtsb, February 26, 2017, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsb

I try to post pics with my notes and it says image to large so I make it smaller then it says same file name change file name to post. I change the file name completely and it still says change file name ." I GIVE UP " grrrr :flame: :flame:

Drache

If you're trying to attach a post, you literally just have to use a random file name, and by random I mean random letters and numbers. The problem is an attached picture must have a unique file name. Look at how many members and how many years we have been attaching photos and that each one of those photos cannot have the same file name as any other.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

XH29N0G

It is a little complicated, but can be managed.  Look at the following threads for explanations.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19380.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,80380.0.html

I use the snipping tool (desktop app) to make pictures smaller and save  as JPG.  I used to resize using other methods, but that was more involved.

I use the same set of names and just add numbers to them. 1,2,3,..3b, ...

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

rtsb

Every forum I have belonged to over the years I've never had these problems only this forum.

charge69

First, welcome to the forum,  rtsb.  Now, as far as pictures go, I use photobucket to automatically downsize my pics and just "copy and Paste" the picture to the thread.  Never had a problem ! There will be 4 places to the right to "copy the picture. Use the bottom choice and left-click the box and it should say "Copied", then right-click the thread about 2 lines below your text and it should work. Works for me every time without having to "Name" the picture !

rtsb

Thank you I'll try that much appreciated.

polywideblock

another vote for the just as annoying photobucket .
just be warned  they have heaps of pop ups and the site is run by religious zealots that censer /delete anything to do with woman  :RantExplode:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Kern Dog

Quote from: rtsb on February 26, 2017, 05:34:51 PM
Every forum I have belonged to over the years I've never had these problems only this forum.

Exactly. I do like this forum but that is an annoying problem. EVERY time I post a picture I've used before, I have to rename it. I have pictures categorized in order to find them easier. What do you think happens when I have to rename them? YES, they get mixed up and shuffled round. It is a bad design.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 27, 2017, 01:17:36 AM
Exactly. I do like this forum but that is an annoying problem. EVERY time I post a picture I've used before, I have to rename it. I have pictures categorized in order to find them easier. What do you think happens when I have to rename them? YES, they get mixed up and shuffled round. It is a bad design.

May I offer a suggestion?

What you can do when you want to post a pic that you done before, meaning that you would have to re-name it is:

Copy the pic(file) that you want to post and drop it in a temp folder or even name that folder DC.com temp pics. Then re-name the pic once it's in the new folder with your original pic still safe in it's original folder. Re-name it (mash the keyboard) post it on DC.com then go back and delete the pic from the temp folder so that way you don't have a mass amount of the same pic with different file names.

I also do this method when I do resizing. Keep the original large resolution pic in it's original folder, copy it to a temp folder and then edit it in there and post it. Then go back and delete the edited pic after it's posted on DC.com. If I have multiple pics to post on DC.com, what I'll do is mash the keyboard then use the same charaters followed by a series of numbers like 001, 002 and so on. Example:

wrvfyun9990ywzacv001
wrvfyun9990ywzacv002
wrvfyun9990ywzacv003
wrvfyun9990ywzacv004

Since DC.com only allows 4 pics per post and I need to post more than 4 pics on the same topic, I'll just reply to my previous post and add more pics and continue naming them such as...

wrvfyun9990ywzacv005
wrvfyun9990ywzacv006
wrvfyun9990ywzacv007
wrvfyun9990ywzacv008

Also when needing more than one post to add more pics, add some sort of text or emoji in the field along with the additional pics. The popcorn emoji  :popcrn: seems to be the popular one of choice.

Hope this helps.  :cheers:

alfaitalia

Great advice.....but why bother with all that when photobucket is free, simple to use and there is no photo naming at all. Not to mention you can put as many pics into a post as you want. To me it seems that using the site tools is just making it unnecessarily complicated.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

dual fours

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 27, 2017, 07:53:06 AM
Great advice.....but why bother with all that when photobucket is free, simple to use and there is no photo naming at all. Not to mention you can put as many pics into a post as you want. To me it seems that using the site tools is just making it unnecessarily complicated.
Photo Bucket is only free up to 100% "used space" then they lock your subscription an try to make you pay for addition space. If you delete some of your photos/albums back to say 95%  they still keep your bucket locked up. I'm at this point right now with them. Will have to go back in to PB and see what is the status of my account, haven't been there for six months. PB is good up to a certain point.    

PS: just came from my PB account, it says "4% full"  :shruggy: and so far my photos are still there.  http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/packmule4x4/library/?sort=4&page=1
I will go back later tonight and double check my account and albums for access and see if I can move photos. :scratchchin:
598 photos and 2 videos still intact :yesnod:, 2999 views. 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

alfaitalia

I don't use it to store photos at all....just put photos on their I want to post on the various forums I frequent.....then usually delete them! So it will never get close to full.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

VegasCharger

Keep in mind when you delete a pic from PB it will also be deleted from any forums you posted them on.

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 27, 2017, 07:53:06 AM

This is true. But I'm so immune to posting pics on this site that it's just as easy for me to do the pic files as it is using PhotoBucket. Yes PB does has it's advantages but it also has disadvantages. Ever had a photo rotated out of orientation when uploading it onto PB? Either you have to post the pic out of it's orientation or edit it on PB back to it's original position thus time consuming just like doing the re-naming on the pic files doing it the other way. There are other times when uploading pics onto PB that it lags and you have to wait for uploading. To me it's pick your poison. I have my priorities of choosing which method is the best and at which time. 

:cheers: