News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 charger 318 HEI Orange SPark

Started by Bsrob, February 27, 2017, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bsrob

Its been a while since i been here. Hopefully i can find some enlightenment to my problem. I took my 318 out about 5 years ago and it was single points ignition and 2 barrel. Had it rebuilt. Decided to buy SKipwhite hei ready to run distributor.  Ever since i put motor back in car it just hasnt been the same. Doesnt rev like it use to. Ive weeded out all the mechanical aspects. its mechanically sound no problems there. I say this because i put a spark plug tester on it. The thing that shows u the color of your spark goin to the plugs and all the older guys around my town have said you want a blue spark not orange. Well... mines orange. I"ve read and read and read some more about this. They say orange isn't at all what u want. Im so stumped at this point. I thought HEI was supposed to be way better but somethings wrong!! IM really really really hoping if i can get a that blue spark everyone is talking about that it'll come to life and run better than it does.. as of right now it runs ok just isn't as responsive as it use to be. Ive seen 318's all over youtube that are nice and snappy. rev to 5,000 like its no sweat. Mine struggles to get past 3,000 with a full pump of the throttle. Maybe a ground problem since i have orange spark?? how many grounds and where should they be? My ignition is Skipwhite ready to run distributor and msd blaster 2 coil. 2 wires from distributor to the coil.

Nacho-RT74

Colortune?

Is suposelly to work with mixture. So its in the carb.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

Try doing a resistance test on your ignition wires. I bet you'll be surprised. Ideally you should have less than 250 ohms per linear foot. A 2ft plugwire should have approx. 500 ohms of resistance.  :scope:

Really good wires are 50 ohm/ft    :2thumbs:

If the wires check out good then run a primary/secondary coil resistance test.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

alfaitalia

If you really are using that antiquated piece of diagnostic equipment from the dark ages known as Colourtune (not seen one for 20 years lol) it only shows you combustion flame colour...not spark. And yes as Nacho says it only helps diagnose mixture strength so nothing to do with plug leads. A wide band O2 sensor is a little more accurate.....if you want to use something developed in the last century instead. LOL.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!