News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to bypass Neutral Safety Switch?

Started by rollo1504, March 12, 2017, 04:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hey guys!

As some of you might already know I am new here (and also new to my 73 charger) and actually working on the re-wiring of the car to fire it up...

I want to start the engine but have only the 8-pin bulkhead connected where all vital things are connected to start the car...

I am almost done but the question I have would be to know how I can bypass the neutral safety switch... I know this is not good as then cranking is possible without being in P or N but I am trustworthy.... :-)

So... Will I have to connect a wire to somewhere starting from the starter relay? I dont have the 4-pin bulkhead connector installed... Thats why I am asking if I can make a workaround starting directly from the starter relay....
Can anybody give me a hint?

Thanks folks

Roland

Nacho-RT74

Ground to chassis the G terminar at starter relay... just a jumper wire with chassis and done
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rollo1504

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 12, 2017, 06:08:22 PM
Ground to chassis the G terminar at starter relay... just a jumper wire with chassis and done

I already assumed that after reading the wiring diagram but just wanted to be sure

Thank you

Roland

Bronzedodge

Be extremely careful.  I bypassed the switch in my Demon way back when, 28 years ago.  My dog knocked the car into gear - my fault, sticky gate on the console shifter.  Nearly took out an adjacent car.
Mopar forever!

A383Wing

Quote from: rollo1504 on March 12, 2017, 04:51:37 PM

I am almost done but the question I have would be to know how I can bypass the neutral safety switch... I know this is not good as then cranking is possible without being in P or N but I am trustworthy.... :-)

Be sure to post pictures of the aftermath when you forget to take the car out of drive or reverse when you go to start it, you know you will forget at least once

rollo1504

I will.... I have already ordered a neutral safety switch and I will do the correct wiring as soon as possible....

Its just that for being able to start the car and open the next "mysterious" chapter..... The ignition timing :-) ...questions will follow  :icon_smile_tongue: :icon_smile_tongue:

But thank you guys for being concerned about a Charger newbie....

I appreciate that

Roland