News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973-74 B Body steering columns

Started by VegasCharger, March 12, 2017, 05:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Are 1973-74 B Body steering columns the same? I've been told that they're different. Besides the steering wheel itself do these columns differ? And if they are different can they be used on one or the other? 73 on a 74? 74 on a 73?

Thanks  :cheers:

Nacho-RT74

No... can't post pics right now ( I'm not at PC now ) but they are diff in shaft composition and also the firewall brackets
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

VegasCharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 12, 2017, 06:07:11 PM
No... can't post pics right now ( I'm not at PC now ) but they are diff in shaft composition and also the firewall brackets

Thanks Nacho!! So the shafts have different lengths? Couplers? I will look forward to your pics. No hurry.  :2thumbs:

Bryan  :cheers:

1973rallye

Hey Bryan. I think the 74 is longer but Nacho will know for sure. 73 was a one year only with the "soup can" that housed a rubber coupler. Those couplers are nearly impossible to find but bouchillon performance produced a solid billet replacement. Not sure if any of this helps you. Ray
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

VegasCharger

Quote from: 1973rallye on March 12, 2017, 09:21:16 PM
Hey Bryan. I think the 74 is longer but Nacho will know for sure. 73 was a one year only with the "soup can" that housed a rubber coupler. Those couplers are nearly impossible to find but bouchillon performance produced a solid billet replacement. Not sure if any of this helps you. Ray

Hello Ray, long time no hear, how have you been?

This is what I'm dealing with. Guy needs a 1974 B Body steering column and I want to make sure the one in the pic is a 74 or will work on a 74 w/o doing any mods or hacks.

Thanks for replying.  :cheers:

ODZKing

Looks like a 73.  If it has the "puck" rag joint it is 73. They did away with that in 74 (thank gawd!)

1973rallye

Quote from: VegasCharger on March 12, 2017, 10:01:51 PM
Quote from: 1973rallye on March 12, 2017, 09:21:16 PM

Hello Ray, long time no hear, how have you been?

This is what I'm dealing with. Guy needs a 1974 B Body steering column and I want to make sure the one in the pic is a 74 or will work on a 74 w/o doing any mods or hacks.

Doing fine Bryan. Waiting for the snow to melt up here in the Great White North.

I see Bob chimed in. I agree that the one in your photo is from a 73.  In all honesty I think it may end up too short for a 1974. It's been a while since my rebuild and I had a few columns I was working with so I can't be 100% sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks for replying.  :cheers:
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

ODZKing

Who needs one?  I have a 74 column shift that I found for the key cylinder and turn switch. Sold the wheel and snagged the bearings under the wheel, but column is still here. LMK.

Nacho-RT74

here are both...

73 and 74s are interchangeable shafts as full assembly... HEY I MEANT THE SHAFT, not the full column assembly. As mentioned the bracket at firewall is diff between them.

Yellow engine bay is 74. The round thingy is a thin rubber coupler with shield to protect. then a close up of the column out of the car

the one you posted is 73

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

VegasCharger

Quote from: ODZKing on March 14, 2017, 09:53:40 AM
Who needs one?  I have a 74 column shift that I found for the key cylinder and turn switch. Sold the wheel and snagged the bearings under the wheel, but column is still here. LMK.

It's for an FBBO member. He's buying other parts from me at that moment and he needs a column mainly for the shaft. Here's what his looks like and you'll see why.

I can connect the two of you or work it thru me. I'm not looking to gain any profit by doing so.

He's not in a hurry and won't have any parts shipped until mid May.

:cheers:

VegasCharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 14, 2017, 01:54:39 PM
here are both...

73 and 74s are interchangeable shafts as full assembly... HEY I MEANT THE SHAFT, not the full column assembly. As mentioned the bracket at firewall is diff between them.

Yellow engine bay is 74. The round thingy is a thin rubber coupler with shield to protect. then a close up of the column out of the car

the one you posted is 73

Thanks Nacho for the helpful info. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:cheers: