News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do with VIN tag from old Charger

Started by Wingnut426, March 25, 2017, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut426

A friend of mine has a VIN tag, body tag and broadcast sheet from a 68 triple green 318 parts car. Car was cut up and scrapped.  I told him to destroy them, but after reading how now its acceptable to recreate a car from a VIN tag, what are your thoughts?  WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

HANDM

Hard to say, most would say destroy but it being a 318 car, I would just frame and hang it in my garage.

As a side note, I have a pristine tag from a 71 383 Cuda. Last time I typed in the # it brought up a car that was in oregon 14 years ago. Wonder if it's the actual car or a rebody??

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Wingnut426 on March 25, 2017, 12:48:56 PM
but after reading how now its acceptable to recreate a car from a VIN tag,

Where did you get that info? Last I heard, that's a Federal bust.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ws23rt

A great question.
If I had something like you have and they were not too ragged with age -it would be hard to toss. (But I tend to be "one of those guys" :lol: that have trouble throwing cool stuff away).

If these items were from something super rare -and hot in the market--and were mine --It would force me live up to what my conscience yells at me.

(Let the scammers -invent- ALL- of the details on their own.)

In that case I would likely preserve them in --cast plastic. :nana:  This would both keep something very cool for the hobby (as memorabilia) and thumb my nose at those that may have other ideas about making a living by diluting our world with yet another late model scam--recreation--of what died and passed on.

BTW I am one of those that think turning a pile of rust -from who knows where- into a car and placing birth rites on it (tags from the dead) that come from another grave does not do any of us well.

I say let the cars that are gone RIP and not add to the --zomby--- car market. :slap:

Baldwinvette77

Give it to the guy with the 70 shell with no vin, then both threads can have a happy ending  :lol:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 25, 2017, 03:28:01 PM
but after reading how now its acceptable to recreate a car from a VIN tag,

Where did you get that info? Last I heard, that's a Federal bust.

It's only acceptable to a small crowd with no morals or ethics. :shruggy:

Alaskan_TA

Nip (snip) it in the bud.

It is easy.

Dead cars are dead, let them rest in peace.

cdr

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on March 25, 2017, 07:45:25 PM
Nip (snip) it in the bud.

It is easy.

Dead cars are dead, let them rest in peace.

:iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cbrestorations

sell them to someone who needs them, ive seen several wrecking yard cars where dashes were missing and fender tags gone. people are pulling these cars out of wrecking yards, bushes, swamps and where ever else. those tags could make it easier for someone to put her back on the road. hell i paid $1500 for a 70 r/t badass optioned car, it showed up in and envelope 2 years ago,  :rofl:

Dino

how now its acceptable to recreate a car from a VIN tag

There's nothing acceptable nor legal about that. Keep the tags if you wish but make it so they cannot be used on another car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Baldwinvette77

in theory, if someone were to coble together a charger using a rear ended 70, and a 68 that was punched in the nose, basically welding the car together in the middle, what vin do you think they should use? the 68 or 70? im not asking anyone in particular, just what would be acceptable? or is this mythical car just doomed from existing?  :scratchchin:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on March 25, 2017, 10:32:25 PM
in theory, if someone were to coble together a charger using a rear ended 70, and a 68 that was punched in the nose, basically welding the car together in the middle, what vin do you think they should use? the 68 or 70? im not asking anyone in particular, just what would be acceptable? or is this mythical car just doomed from existing?  :scratchchin:

Basically what your describing is "back-halving" or "back-halved", it's been done for decades and still practiced in body shops today, the donor vehicle would technically die in a legal sense, although from personal experience there are times the donor vehicle being a better candidate for structural integrity is used, the items needed to maintain the "identity" of the collision vehicle are transferred over from the collision vehicle to the donor, this includes any body/VIN ID items

I did this type of work for years in body shops with Insurance company and local RMV/DMV and LEO blessings, they're only machinery, pieces of equipment,nothing more, nothing less

And to the OP, sell/give the tags/title/etc to someone that's trying to resurrect an old car back to the road

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: cbrestorations on March 25, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
sell them to someone who needs them, ive seen several wrecking yard cars where dashes were missing and fender tags gone. people are pulling these cars out of wrecking yards, bushes, swamps and where ever else. those tags could make it easier for someone to put her back on the road. hell i paid $1500 for a 70 r/t badass optioned car, it showed up in and envelope 2 years ago,  :rofl:

This is coming from someone who said he wouldn't swap VIN tags on his own cars......one day Karma will catch up to you if it has not already.... :coolgleamA:

cbrestorations

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on March 26, 2017, 08:26:47 AM
Quote from: cbrestorations on March 25, 2017, 08:56:33 PM

This is coming from someone who said he wouldn't swap VIN tags on his own cars......one day Karma will catch up to you if it has not already.... :coolgleamA:
wrong...i never said i wouldnt, i said i havent...yet  :slap: plus theres nothing to catch up, i believe i have already proven you nay sayers wrong already about the legality of vin swaps on classic cars for restoration. shall i post it again???   :nana:

Alaskan_TA

cbrestorations

he didn't even body swap, he straight stamped his own Vin tag, fender tag, door sticker and forged a phoney galen report. So he forged a car that never existed in the first place by changing 1 digit in his vin. Makes you wonder how many hemi cars are in existence vs. How many were actually made.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: cbrestorations on March 26, 2017, 12:46:24 PM
he didn't even body swap, he straight stamped his own Vin tag, fender tag, door sticker and forged a phoney galen report. So he forged a car that never existed in the first place by changing 1 digit in his vin. Makes you wonder how many hemi cars are in existence vs. How many were actually made.

Did you read the whole article? A quote from Beider you may have missed;

"However, he reiterates that "it is not illegal to make a clone or recreation car, but it is illegal to make a VIN plate, or remove, change, or alter it for use on another car."

Alaskan_TA

Another article, this one is about a VIN swapped 1970 Challenger that was seized - http://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/car-features/authorities-seize-1970-dodge-challenger-rt/

Some people can (and do) say number swapping is 'fine' all day long, but they are encouraging others to commit a crime.

If in doubt, ask your local state cops.  ;)

cbrestorations

Been there, asked that, did the dmv questioning and  found the proper process and paperwork to legally remove tags for restoration purposes. Can't speak for all states but here in Nevada it's all good... I can even turn a 68 coronet and a 68 satellite into a charger using the chargers tags. I'll post threads when I get to those swaps. Once I remove all body panels and core support (not illegal to replace a damaged or rusty core support, and it will be damaged) I just simply start replacing missing panels with charger ones. Once done I just bolt in the charger dash and boom...coronet to charger conversion.  So if you have a set of tags you can literally build a charger from scratch even from a 4 door car. I think I'll turn that 68 coronet into 70 r/t charger.

Mytur Binsdirti

a 68 triple green 318 parts car. Car was cut up and scrapped.  

You did the right thing.

Moparpoolman

Quote from: cbrestorations on March 26, 2017, 02:16:50 PM
Been there, asked that, did the dmv questioning and  found the proper process and paperwork to legally remove tags for restoration purposes. Can't speak for all states but here in Nevada it's all good... I can even turn a 68 coronet and a 68 satellite into a charger using the chargers tags. I'll post threads when I get to those swaps. Once I remove all body panels and core support (not illegal to replace a damaged or rusty core support, and it will be damaged) I just simply start replacing missing panels with charger ones. Once done I just bolt in the charger dash and boom...coronet to charger conversion.  So if you have a set of tags you can literally build a charger from scratch even from a 4 door car. I think I'll turn that 68 coronet into 70 r/t charger.

I think you are missing something in your laws, you might want to double check :scratchchin:

nvrbdn

I have a couple of these items. They make great wall art, and conversation pieces. They hang on the wall in my kitchen "50's Diner" I say to stick it in a nice frame with a pic of what it once was and hang it on the wall.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69bronzeT5

Any cars I've ever parted out, I just hang up the tags on the wall in my garage.  :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic