News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge question

Started by keith88, March 26, 2017, 05:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

My fuel gauge will some times not work when i start the car but if i tap around the gauge it will work. Any idea what is going on and what to look for? :scratchchin:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

M5Ivan

Have you pulled out the cluster and checked the connection on the back? Could just be a loose connection or bad ground on the cluster. Do the other gauges on the right side also work intermittently?

keith88

I did pull out the dash cluster about 3 years ago when I 1st got it to redue it, put it back in and it worked fine until the end of last season when it started  with this issue... all the other gauges work fine.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

M5Ivan

If it works after you tap it, it sounds like a bad connection to the gauge (?) I'd pull it out again, or reach up behind it and check it. I know that sounds obvious, but it would be the first place I'd look.

Charger-Bodie

Take a 3/8 socket and reach up and snug the nuts that secure the two gauge studs to the curciut board. May be loose or just a poor connection.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

XH29N0G

The nuts that connect to the circuit board are my guess, too.  I suppose stuck needle.  There is the cluster restoration thread and in that posted an experience I had that dealt with the gas gauge and bad connections.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.150.html

"In pulling and reassembling my cluster a second time, I was checking continuity and found that it was not good after reassembly.  (I have been having issues with continuity to the various gauges.)  What I did (and others can comment whether this is a bad idea) was to remove the nut (pictured below and run the contact surface across fine sandpaper (I used 800 grit) to clean it and hopefully to make a better contact with the copper of the board.  After doing this, I did not have any issues with continuity to and from the gauges.  I will see if issues appear in the next few weeks, but hope this solves the problem. 

Quick update:  I just filled the gas tank and the gauge now reads full rather than 3/4.  I thought I had a sending unit issue.  It appears to have had something to do with the connection of the gas gauge to the board."

I wonder if you don't have the same issue.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

keith88

Thanks guys i will check them thing out and see if it helps.