News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One wire alternator ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 02, 2017, 07:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

In looking for a new alternator I see that some of them have a "one wire" hookup.. What is the purpose and which wire is hooked to it ? Thanks..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nvrbdn

We were having all kinds of problems with Steve's 37 Plymouth with a 318. The alternator made it easy and works great. It bypasses all the charging system. The alternator grounds itself on the engine block, and the single wire heads to the  positive post. I took the wire to the firewall and hooked it up to a Junction that had a large positive wire that headed back to the battery.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TommyGun

They are internally regulated so the one wire is just a fused 12v back to either the battery or starter relay. I have a powermaster on my 68 and it works very well.

mopar0166

switched to a power master one wire alt and got rid of the ballast, volt reg and assorted wiring. 

Chargen69

TommyGun

If you order one pay attention to if you have a single or dual pulley and order accordingly.  I neglected to do that so I had to take my new alternater apart and press on my old pulley.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: TommyGun on May 03, 2017, 12:19:58 PM
If you order one pay attention to if you have a single or dual pulley and order accordingly.  I neglected to do that so I had to take my new alternater apart and press on my old pulley.

So the advantage is limited add on electronics ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

TommyGun

[/quote]

So the advantage is limited add on electronics ?
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean but what I'm saying is mopar alternators are more difficult than most to switch pulleys so order the right one to start with

TexasStroker

Yes, the main advantage is simplifying installation with an internally regulated alternator as opposed to having the stock style and corresponding externally regulated components and wiring.
^That sentence makes it sound way more complex than it is, lol.  Less wire, less mess, easier install  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

I'll post this and will leave quietly

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

( but just will say, in case of reg failure on any of them, the three wire can be "tricked out" to still get juice from alt, being "full fielded" )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

303 Mopar

I went with this one when I dropped in my 505 ci.  It came highly recommended by some other Mopar guys and I love it.  I've had issues with PowerMaster, so I would avoid them.  This on is pricey, but do it one and do it right.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_557/Chrysler-Mount-Mega-Amp-Alternator.htm
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

MoparRocks

I went with the high amp Powermaster. 150 amp. Ran 0 gauge straight from the stud to the battery. I haven't had an issue with charging since.

1971 Charger Richard Petty tribute
Mopar 340 three on the tree

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 08, 2017, 10:28:52 AM
I went with this one when I dropped in my 505 ci.  It came highly recommended by some other Mopar guys and I love it.  I've had issues with PowerMaster, so I would avoid them.  This on is pricey, but do it one and do it right.

I also run the external regulated version of that and it fits the Mopar brackets...no need to adapt to the GM mounting format like most high output units.

As has been pointed out before, most of the one-wire alternators don't have temperature compensation  like regulators do so they can overcharge in some conditions.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pipeliner

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 08, 2017, 03:44:20 PM

I also run the external regulated version of that and it fits the Mopar brackets...no need to adapt to the GM mounting format like most high output units.

As has been pointed out before, most of the one-wire alternators don't have temperature compensation  like regulators do so they can overcharge in some conditions.
So is this alternator style also a one wire alt? I'm not good with electrical stuff and trying to figure out what I need for my car and how to do it. Going to have Electric Fans and so forth.

303 Mopar

Quote from: pipeliner on May 09, 2017, 11:44:57 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 08, 2017, 03:44:20 PM

So is this alternator style also a one wire alt? I'm not good with electrical stuff and trying to figure out what I need for my car and how to do it. Going to have Electric Fans and so forth.

Yes, 1 wire is an option.  I would call them and tell them what you have as far as accessories go and what you may add so you can get the right alt.  They have great and knowledgable help.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

mopar0166

the one wire alt from power master is extremely easy to install and their is no more need to use the stock external regulator and ballast any more.  its basically one wire to battery and making sure to change you other feeds if its a stock harness.

pipeliner

Quote from: mopar0166 on May 11, 2017, 07:51:47 AM
the one wire alt from power master is extremely easy to install and their is no more need to use the stock external regulator and ballast any more.  its basically one wire to battery and making sure to change you other feeds if its a stock harness.
Which Alt. Did you use and what other feeds are you talking about. Thanks!

mopar0166

its been a while since I looked at a stock harness you just need to look over a stock wiring harness diagram and look at removing the external regulator and installing a wire to battery probably 0 gauge.  I haven't ran a stock charging system in years because of regulator issues etc.   

pipeliner