News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The car that got you into Mopars?

Started by Bad B-rad, May 22, 2017, 12:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

This topic has to be on here and may have been asked a few times, so I hope I am not repeating-pete here.
BUT........

What was your first Mopar,or the car that got you into Mopars?
(maybe it was riding around in your uncles SuperBee when you were 7,or that Duster you had as your first car)

Mine was a white 1968 Coronet.
I org stoped to look at the car because of the 440 emblems on the 1/4 panel, I didn't know at the time that the Coronet 440 was the model of car, I thought it had a 440 engine.
I bought it for 75 bucks,when I was 17(1997) The guy I got it from's kids lost the key for it playing"Batman" in the car.
So I brought a battey, some gas and a jumper wire to hot wire the coil,as soon as I touched the screwdriver to starter relay it fired up and idled so smooth and car was SO QUITE.
So I bought it. I was third owner, car had 63,000 miles, mostly all org,318 2Bbl with 3 speed auto.
Four mismatched tires on it.
Besides a tune up and the Ing switch and basic oil changes and filters, I never put a dollar in the car. Car ran so good and trouble free I was HOOKED on MOPAR.(Dad,and Grandpa were GM men, so I was a black sheep after that car)
I always used 91 octane, and the old "instead O' Lead" from Wal-Mart!!!

What car got you hooked??

polywideblock

aussie assembled 1960 dodge dart phoenix 318 polywideblock ,triple green , power everything

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Old Moparz

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 22, 2017, 12:26:07 PM

What was your first Mopar,or the car that got you into Mopars?

My first Mopar was a 1969 Charger SE, 383-4V, 727 on the column, red with a black vinyl top & a tan leather interior. The original color before the previous owner repainted it was one of the bronze / copper shades, I saw it in the trunk under the package tray. The same car got me hooked on Mopars in general when I was about 7 years old in the late 60's. There were two cars in my neighborhood in NYC that to me looked great. One was a Charger, either a 68 or 69, I didn't know, & the other was a Mustang fastback, again I don't know what year. Both looked incredible compared to all the big, ugly, square boxes rolling around at the time. I saw the chrome gas cap on the Charger & thought it was a damn race car & loved it. Years later in high school a friend bought one & I got to ride in it. It was one of the best looking cars I ever saw & knew I'd get one, one day.

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 22, 2017, 12:26:07 PM

Mine was a white 1968 Coronet.
I org stoped to look at the car because of the 440 emblems on the 1/4 panel, I didn't know at the time that the Coronet 440 was the model of car, I thought it had a 440 engine.
I bought it for 75 bucks,when I was 17(1997) The guy I got it from's kids lost the key for it playing"Batman" in the car.
So I brought a battey, some gas and a jumper wire to hot wire the coil,as soon as I touched the screwdriver to starter relay it fired up and idled so smooth and car was SO QUITE.
So I bought it. I was third owner, car had 63,000 miles, mostly all org,318 2Bbl with 3 speed auto.
Four mismatched tires on it.
Besides a tune up and the Ing switch and basic oil changes and filters, I never put a dollar in the car. Car ran so good and trouble free I was HOOKED on MOPAR.(Dad,and Grandpa were GM men, so I was a black sheep after that car)
I always used 91 octane, and the old "instead O' Lead" from Wal-Mart!!!

Interesting story, it was almost the same for me. I had a paper route for a few years just before I was old enough to drive & one of the houses I delivered to had a 1968 Coronet 440, white with a black vinyl top. I also thought the engine was a 440 at the time.  :lol:

They got the car repainted at one point & it looked great. About a year later I saw it was getting a little rough & asked if they were interested in selling it. They said no, but that I'd be the first to know if they do. They kept their word & after about another year, told me they were going to sell it. It had been in a minor accident & was getting pretty nasty looking so I passed on it.

Not too far away & around the same time, there was a 1968 Coronet 500 convertible in the police station parking lot. It was there for a few days & had no plates on it so I stopped in & asked about it to see if it was going to be sold at an auction or something. It was pretty rough, lots of rust, ripped roof & seats but it looked cool with a mag wheels on it & reminded me of a Charger. I was given the owner's name by one of the cops there & told to call him & ask him. (That wouldn't happen in this day & age.....LOL)

I never called & don't recall why, but my guess is I was probably a broke teen.  ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Bad B-rad

That first car is one hell of a ride!!!!! All nice cars, but that first one wow!

For my wife,girlfriend at the time, her first Dodge was a 1988 Shadow, but her 2nd Mopar is the one that made her a Mopar chick.
A 1973 Plymouth Duster,it was that Go green color, with black out hood and black vinyl top,and all black inside.(bench front seat)
She got it with only 80,000 miles, and it was and auto and had the leaning tower of POWER, the Slant Six!!!!!! And it was the 198ci.
She bought it from a preachers son(sounds like a song title)
After owning the car for about a year and a half, we got a flat tire while driving by where she bought the car, so we slowly pulled it in to the church parking lot so I could change the tire.
Well as I start to change the flat, the preist comes out of his house(he lived next door to the church)and comes over to offer me help. The first thing he says to us is "All of gods children come home to get fixed"!!

So she odiously had that car forever!!!!
(Her next two cars were a 76 Duster,and a 71 Duster)

Mopar Nut

Here's my first MOPAR.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Bad B-rad

SWEET RIDE!!!!!
Flat hood, and the T/A exhaust pipes???
What engine did it have?
That car could get anyone hooked on MOPAR!!!!!

68pplcharger

Never owned one but it was a 69 Road runner

ODZKing

I've told the story many times, in 1966 when the first gen Charger came out I thought it was awesome.
My dad was always a Mopar guy, had a Dodge custom 880 at the time. The following year when he was in the market for a car, I begged him to buy a Charger. But instead we got a 67 Dodge Monaco.  A car I would love to have today I might add. (pic below). The car I learned to drive on.
Fast forward to High School and I need a car as we were in the city, no school busing back then. I wanted a charger, first gen but my Dad opened a couple trunks on second gens saw the leaks and decided no,  "you're not getting someone else's headaches", we're going to take some of your college money and buy a new car.  I GOT a 73 SE (also pictured).
So hard to say which one it actually was, the one I wanted or the one I got.  But now I have BOTH!

Bad B-rad

Oh MAN this is great!!!
Nice 73!!! What was the engine in that one?It has the bulge hood so big block?

I had a 74 Charger 318 auto car, and I stuck a 1974 440 in it. With the stock intake and carb I had to use a "Pancake thin" air cleaner housing, because it was the flat hood, and the hood wouldn't close with the regular air cleaner.

ODZKing

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 22, 2017, 02:32:43 PM
Oh MAN this is great!!!
Nice 73!!! What was the engine in that one?It has the bulge hood so big block?

I had a 74 Charger 318 auto car, and I stuck a 1974 440 in it. With the stock intake and carb I had to use a "Pancake thin" air cleaner housing, because it was the flat hood, and the hood wouldn't close with the regular air cleaner.
Ha, the original one was a 318 which I blew up. I then purchased a 69 Coronet 4 door for the sole purpose of transferring the engines. Bought if from an elderly woman, low miles, you know the story, for $200. Swapped the engines, had the other engine repaired, put it back in the Coronet and sold it for $200.
That is another long story! But the hood I ordered from a dealership because I wanted to put on another air cleaner and as you say it wouldn't fit. If you look closely at the picture you will see it simply says "Charger" on the hood.

ralley72

When I was a young lad from about age 7 on up, the Church we attended had a bunch of guy in their late teens early 20's that were heavily into GM cars and didn't mind us little guys pestering them about their cars, most had Chevelles. Mom and Dad would let them give us rides and hang out with them after church from time to time. Somewhere around the age of 9, I saw a 70 white Superbird and knew what it was, the older guys couldn't believe I knew what that car was and someone drove a 68 bright yellow Charger around the area of our neighborhood and I knew what is was and tell them about it, so the older guys started calling me Dodge boy. Mom still has mothers day cards and Christmas cards from that time that I would sign, love  your Dodge boy. 1969 Dodge Charger,  got my first one in 1977, age 16 and paid $ 175.00. Had a Earl Scribe paint job and ever time I would wash that car, the water would turn blue as I washed that paint off. Had a 318 with auto, someone added a 4 bl intake with a Carter carb,  could almost run with a bubby that had a 68 Roadrunner with a 383 4sp.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Sublime/Sixpack

It was my dad's new 1964 Dodge Dart with slant six, four speed trans. Great little car! Although what I wanted him to buy was a '64 Polara with 383 with a four speed. Oh well, a few years later I bought my '67 Coronet R/T. Been a fan of Mopars ever since. The little Dart planted the seed.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Mike DC

For me it wasn't one single car.  It was a couple hundred of them:

Baldwinvette77

BLK 68 R/T

Friends 71 Challenger convertible, 340 4 speed, shaker hood car. That is what got me hooked I do believe.

69 OUR/TEA

Bronzedodge

I had Ford friends and Mopar friends growing up.  The Ford guys had 67 Mustang 'Vert, 67 Fairlane GTA, Fullsize broncos, etc.  The Mopar guys had 68 R/T, 72 Rallye, 70 fake R/T, and the one I rode in most, a 75 Dart Sport convertriple.  So when I turned 16 I called a friend about the 72 Mustang convertible basket case his neighbor had.  He said he knew nothing about it but he had a 72 Gold Duster for sale for $100.-.  318 with A/C.  I never looked back.  Bought that, never did get it tagged, cut it up to put my Demon on the road with it's floors.  The 70 fake R/T guy eventually found a real R/T, the guy with the 72 had a C500 basket case triple green car at one point, long gone.

And the 68 R/T, auto, A/C, P/W,  is tucked in a shed, hasn't run since about '88.  My friend still owns it.   :coolgleamA:
Mopar forever!

69rtse4spd

My older brothers 69 R/T 4-spd Charger, back in 73 or 74, been hooked since then.

lloyd3

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner, 383 auto, Lime-lite green w/the black and silver bench seat interior. My very first personally-owned (non-parental) car. Paid $500 for it in the Spring of 1979.  Loved that 383 Roadrunner engine!

timmycharger

My uncle's 69 Charger, originally B3 blue, 318 with a black vinyl top.  He had it in the early eighties, I was a kid but I still remember it.  My grandmother lived on the same street as a Dodge dealership back in the day, had it been a Chevy dealership, I would probably have a Chevelle in the garage  :rotz:

alfaitalia

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 22, 2017, 07:26:15 PM

For me it wasn't one single car.  It was a couple hundred of them:

Me too. I'm in the UK and I would never have seen any Mopars without the DOH. Never imported here.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

My first Mopar was a '57 Coronet ex-CHP 2-door sedan. Was a GM puke prior to that.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bad B-rad

That is one BAD ASS looking car!!
Man that car flat or semi-gloss black, with a first gen 392 Hemi, Oh YEAH!!!

(or maybe a 413 with the cross ram intake)
That is one sexy cool car!!!

areibel

Another Uncle's car story- My uncle had a new 69 Charger, red with white interior that was a blast to ride in (I think I was 8).  He took us for a blast down one of the back roads, when we were done we were sitting in it in the driveway after he went inside.  I managed to get my finger stuck in the console lid so my brother blew the horn until they came out to rescue me!

TruckDriver

In the mid 1970's, my friends brother bought a '70 R/T Charger 440 w/pistol grip, Plum crazy, white hat edition with a white interior and white tail stripe. First Charger I ever rode in. After that, I saw the movie Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, and I was hooked. All a few years before The Dukes came out.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P