News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head lights don't work

Started by 69rtsetracpac, May 23, 2017, 02:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtsetracpac

Okay, I have a 69' with all new wiring harness's (dash,HD. lights, motor) hit hd light switch, I have tail lights and with the key off, it will buzz at me telling me my lights are on. I have a good ground on rad. support. Could it just be the old switch? Also my old dash dimmer switch(thumb wheel) only works intermitantly. Are these switches notorious for going bad? Car is just getting going after sitting for many years. Thanks in advance
What was I thinking?

timmycharger

I would double check your connection at the forward light harness plug near the battery.  I chased this issue on my 68 for weeks only to realize that when I plugged the harness together, it pushed out one of the pins and was not making a good connection.

69rtsetracpac

What was I thinking?

69rtsetracpac

no dice on the plug, looks good.
What was I thinking?

Bronzedodge

Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on May 23, 2017, 02:20:26 PM
Also my old dash dimmer switch(thumb wheel) only works intermitantly. Are these switches notorious for going bad?

In a word, yes.  One of the magazines had an article years ago about rebuilding them.

As for the headlights - everything goes through the high beam switch if I remember correctly.  Check that.
Mopar forever!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Also for shits & giggles check the actual headlights themselves for being blown out.   My alternator spiked a few seasons ago & blew out both my headlights...  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69rtsetracpac

Quote from: Bronzedodge on May 23, 2017, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on May 23, 2017, 02:20:26 PM
Also my old dash dimmer switch(thumb wheel) only works intermitantly. Are these switches notorious for going bad?

In a word, yes.  One of the magazines had an article years ago about rebuilding them.

As for the headlights - everything goes through the high beam switch if I remember correctly.  Check that.

I forgot about the high beam switch, my ford pick up was wired like that and kept the lights from working, I'll check that out.
What was I thinking?

69rtsetracpac

It ended up being my old crusty dimmer switch. Thanks guys
What was I thinking?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Excellent.  Thanks for the follow up
Chris' '69 Charger R/T