News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Concealed to Carry

Started by Bobs69, June 06, 2017, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Can someone explain to me why American's are so attached to their guns?  Yeah yeah the second amendment............

As a Canadian, who sees his fair share of American's who think their concealed to carry permit counts for something over here, I can't help but think:  "If you're neighbourhood is that bad then why don't you move!"

Again, the "I need it to protect myself" excuse sounds like BS to me.  If I lived in a State that shitty where I felt I needed a gun on my hip to be safe, I'd move.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Bobs69 on June 06, 2017, 09:14:42 AM

Again, the "I need it to protect myself" excuse sounds like BS to me.  If I lived in a State that shitty where I felt I needed a gun on my hip to be safe, I'd move.

Tell that to the people in London.

XH29N0G

Let's not go here. There is no simple answer.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Laowho

Chesterton was asked why he traveled w/ a gun on a train vacation, to which he admitted, "It's the most romantic thing in the world to do." Ah, that Kipling generation.

Todd Wilson

I am sure this thread will get locked fairly fast but its a different world we live in now. Its simply not about if your neighborhood is bad just move situation. Some people cannot afford to simply move from one place in town to a another. Just a few years ago in my town and lady got killed in her house while her 5 year old boy was in the other room. This house was in the very nice end of town where doctors and lawyers and business men live.  The people who killed this lady were involved in a drug deal gone bad so they went to kill the gal.  Problem is they got the wrong house and lady. They broke in and found the lady and smoked her and left. 5 year old boy finds mommy on floor and goes to a neighbors house. So its not just about a bad hood.  People are getting shot at the mall, in the movies , walmart parking lot.  Terrorist situations all over the place. The police are many many minutes from getting to you in a bad situation.  Chances are you wont be able to call them anyways during the situation. It will only be after the situation you can call them if you are even able to call them.  Its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.  I hope that you and your family are never in a situation where you need a gun and not have it.

Todd

alfaitalia

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 06, 2017, 10:20:34 AM

Again, the "I need it to protect myself" excuse sounds like BS to me.  If I lived in a State that shitty where I felt I needed a gun on my hip to be safe, I'd move.

Tell that to the people in London.

....the last thing we want is guns in the UK....even our Police don't routinely carry...just the armed response boys. The London Bridge killers had knives because getting guns is not easy here. Imagine how many more deaths there would have been if those three guys had shooters. The Police have voted many times on whether to carry guns or not...they always vote "No". Once they have them the villains will feel the need to arm themselves one way or another. I used to be a handgun owner before a couple of massacres saw them banned. I was pissed to start with.....but I soon got over it. You guys have mass shootings so often you are numb to them....from the outside World it looks like you really don't care....which you don't or you would do something about it......but its your country to run it how you want!!! Having a seven year old son now I so glad we live in a virtually gun free society here. Gun crime does not even make the news over there its so common. Someone shot here is in the headlines for days....hope it stays that way.

The right to bare arms in the States was an Amendment to original agreement anyway...so you could amend it out of you constitution if you really wanted.....but you never will. Gun lobby/gun makers have so much power over there. And if you banned them tomorrow you have so many guns its would be years before they all went ...then only the bad guys would have them.......

Just thought Id put the view from this side of the pond....I know it wont be popular!! :lol:

This will all soon be deleted anyway as Political threads are banned on this forum.....and they don't get more political than this subject! lol.  
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

BLK 68 R/T

When seconds count...cops are only minutes away. I would much rather live where I know I can carry a gun to protect my family, myself or others if needed. There are all sorts of crazies in this world now days.

Mytur Binsdirti

c00nhunterjoe

The uk and canada are not bordered by mexico. Ban whatever you want in the u.s. it will just keep coming across the border illegally. Heroine, cocaine, automatic weapons.... they have been illega herel for what, 50, 60 yrs?  Maybe we need to put signs up along the border that says its illegal to bring into the states.... that will fix it.....

John_Kunkel

Can someone explain to me why American's are so attached to their guns?   

Because we're not Canadians.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

It's a combination of things.  

The #1 thing to understand is that we have a shitload of guns here.  Way more than the total number of citizens.  If guns were 100% outlawed tomorrow the bad guys would still have pretty easy access to guns 20 years from now.  

The rural USA wants to keep guns because they live a long way from police help when they get into trouble.  And there are still many wild animals in this continent.  

The urban ghetto USA wants to keep guns legal because outlawing guns won't help them.  It won't make the police stop carrying and shooting them when there is trouble.  It won't do anything to get guns out of their neighborhoods.  All it would do is give the justice system another reason to put them in jail for doing what it takes to survive.  In those areas you don't want to be the one person without a gun in the same way you don't want to be the one person with your house unlocked.  It's very simply an arms race.  

The suburbs (and the wealthiest urban areas) are pretty much the only environment where guns really seem out-of-place.  

It's also important to understand a few things about the statistics:  

-- easily 2/3rds of all the "gun deaths" are suicides.    

--  when guns are cheap & easy to get, guns are the preferred method of killing or attacking people.   Stabbings & beatings would go up dramatically if the guns were suddenly removed.  

-- the USA has over 300 million people.  A few thousand gun deaths is not a huge percentage of this place.  

--  If you don't live in one the dozen worst urban ghetto areas in the country, your chances of getting shot go down ENORMOUSLY.  Most Americans never experience any gun violence from cradle to grave.  

timmycharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 06, 2017, 02:20:09 PM

:rofl:  :cheers:

Old Moparz

Won't be long now. ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Bob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 06, 2017, 02:20:09 PM

:2thumbs:

Bob

Because we are Americans!

Troy

I am really curious as to how/why any American thinks their concealed carry permit means anything outside of where it's valid - particularly another country. Are they trying to justify having a gun there or are they just bragging/talking? The rules are fairly clear and, in the case of a "permit", the individual likely had to pass a test covering those rules. You don't need a permit to carry everywhere in the US so one would think that a permit holder would actually have a better grasp of the law than someone who is just explicitly allowed.

Oh well, I suppose I will Google it...

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.