News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dakota digital gauges - recommendations?

Started by Jimmy01, July 01, 2017, 02:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy01

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=939/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd939.htm
-anyone used or know much about this Dakota digital dash panel - good bad or otherwise? I have a 68 charger which the gauges / wiring need a bit of attention and thought that this looks like a good option?
Cheers

alfaitalia

Mmmmm. Me likey! More money! Obviously cant help you but will be following this with interest. I like the look of modern dials but most set ups I've seen (tuning shop or DIY) lose the character of the original dash. This looks like a good compromise.....but its $1000.....that's a set of wheels/tyres to me at the moment.
Oh well there's a US warship in harbour at the moment...will have to send the wife down to "earn" some extra cash for me! :icon_smile_big: Last time she went she came back with $2005 ....I said which tight wad only gave you $5 ?.....she said "they all did!". :smilielol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Jimmy01

😅😅😅😅😅-yep, they look very nice but also quite pricey - I'm in Australia so by the time we lose on the exchange rate and pay shipping will probably end up around $1,500-00 or more!

VegasCharger

When it comes to gauge clusters for 68 Chargers I like this one the best. Or even better if it has a tac.

:cheers:

Kern Dog

I installed the blue lighted Dakota Digital gauges in my 70 Charger. I love the way that they look!

Kern Dog

All lit up:

moparstuart

I get the same effect with blue LED's on my stock gauges
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pipeliner

I'm going Dakota Digitals also. What the hells $1k for for modern gauges? A lot better setup than factory if ya ask me.

JR

They are beautiful, but too rich for my blood.

I bought a spare cluster housing and modified it to fit Autometer Ultra Lite guages. I would post pics of my setup, but Photobucket had a meltdown this week.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

pipeliner

Quote from: Lennard on July 01, 2017, 03:28:24 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on July 01, 2017, 12:03:26 PM
LIghted up:
Lighted up?  
It's a good thing that language existed before the rule of the grammar Nazi,s. I understood what he meant just fine. So if it makes you feel really good down deep inside for pointing this out then give yourself a big pat on the back because otherwise nobody else really gives a f***.

Lennard

Quote from: pipeliner on July 02, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
LIghted up:
Lighted up?  
It's a good thing that language existed before the rule of the grammar Nazi,s. I understood what he meant just fine. So if it makes you feel really good down deep inside for pointing this out then give yourself a big pat on the back because otherwise nobody else really gives a f***.
It's okay that you don't get it, that is what happens when you visit this forum once a month.  I just caught the upper grammar Nazi slipping and wanted to point it out as he always does with others. :fu:
Here's one of many examples:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,126018.0.html

cdr

Quote from: Lennard on July 02, 2017, 09:39:23 AM
LIghted up:
Lighted up?  
It's okay that you don't get it, that is what happens when you visit this forum once a month.  I just caught the upper grammar Nazi slipping and wanted to point it out as he always does with others. :fu:

& it is AWESOME !!!!!  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

LIghted up:
Lighted up?  
[/quote

Thanks, Pipeliner.
Lennard does have a point though. I have been critical of poor grammar in many instances. I do try to overlook most mistakes but sometimes they just compel me to respond!
I thought the feud with Lennard was over, as I have not responded negatively to him in anything for many months. Out of my 800 or so posts in the last year, he finds ONE mistake....I guess you'd have to be proud of that, all things considered!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: JR on July 01, 2017, 05:14:40 PM
They are beautiful, but too rich for my blood.

I bought a spare cluster housing and modified it to fit Autometer Ultra Lite guages. I would post pics of my setup, but Photobucket had a meltdown this week.

Not a meltdown, just found how to get more money and they are working on that LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Kern Dog

I liked the look of the stock gauges but have heard of how inaccurate the stock tach is. I did not want to add an aftermarket tach to the dash or anywhere else either. I had planned on eliminating the ammeter and with all of that considered, I chose the Dakota setup. The speedometer can be electronically calibrated quickly for any changes in tire height or gear ratio without swapping any parts. That is nice.

Dino

If I didn't enjoy putting modern guts behind the old gauges, I'd get the Dakota system in a heartbeat. They did a really nice job with it and I love the options you get.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

pipeliner

LIghted up:
Lighted up?  
It's okay that you don't get it, that is what happens when you visit this forum once a month.  I just caught the upper grammar Nazi slipping and wanted to point it out as he always does with others. :fu:

Should have mind my own business. Sorry,

Bronzedodge

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 04, 2017, 01:04:00 AM
-- have heard of how inaccurate the stock tach is.

Not to hijack the thread, but are the repo tic tock tachs any more accurate?
Mopar forever!

Lennard

Quote from: pipeliner on July 09, 2017, 07:55:50 AM
LIghted up:
Lighted up?  

Should have mind my own business. Sorry,
It's all good  :thumbs:

Derwud

Okay now that the pissing contest is over...

Some of the other things I like with the Dakota digital dash was the ability to add Cruise Control, GPS Speedo and no more Ammeter.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

green69rt

Quote from: Derwud on July 09, 2017, 06:56:46 PM
Okay now that the pissing contest is over...

Some of the other things I like with the Dakota digital dash was the ability to add Cruise Control, GPS Speedo and no more Ammeter.

I've been considering the DD setup.  One thing that intrigued me was the fuel tank sender option.  Given the issues, I've read about on this forum, with the sender calibration the DD system seems a good solution.  Plus it comes with the battery volt meter so I don't have to do that conversion.

comet_666

I have the DD set up, only complaint is the gas gauge is off slightly. Other than that and having to modify the dash harness it works great.

Kern Dog

My gas gauge is not a whole lot better than before.  It hangs a bit between 1/4 and 3/4 but drops fast when I get below 1/4 tank.
Sort of  funny to me: The Wife's 2003 Honda has a real crappy gauge. It slowly moves from full to just below half, fooling you into thinking you have been getting really great mileage....THEN it drops like bikini tops at Spring Break from 1/2 to empty.