News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

someone matched my not for sale price, still debating if i should sell

Started by cbrestorations, July 18, 2017, 07:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrestorations

i bought this 69 rt/se black with blue interior car in april, wanted this car for 20 years. i had a guy bugging me since i showed the car in van nuys to buy it. every phone call same answer...sorry not for sale. i finally gave him a not for sale price of 30k and the car is not worth no where near that, 20k is what i value it at. he drove up here to look at another car i was debating selling and he went straight to the black car. laid the money out and said i want this one...i sat there and thought about it and i declined it. i like the car...he said i will take it if you change ur mind soon. so now im debating...i could really use the money to finish other cars but then ide be giving up one of my coolest, rarest ones. what do you guys think?

Alaskan_TA

OK, so if I read that right....

You put a price on it.

The buyer agreed to your price & showed up with cash.

You refused.

What part do want an opinion on exactly?

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Challenger340

So he offered you the $30K ? laid it right out there..... is that correct ?

The Car needs restoration right ?
Do you have the Numbers Matching Engine, Trans, etc., etc. ?

Mine is pretty much a sister to yours, and Black R/T SE's are indeed pretty rare to find ?
Just say'in.....   very tough decision !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

cbrestorations

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 18, 2017, 07:40:12 PM
OK, so if I read that right....

You put a price on it.

The buyer agreed to your price & showed up with cash.

You refused.

What part do want an opinion on exactly?

just asking would you keep the rarity or take the cash?

cbrestorations

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 18, 2017, 07:49:40 PM
So he offered you the $30K ? laid it right out there..... is that correct ?

The Car needs restoration right ?
Do you have the Numbers Matching Engine, Trans, etc., etc. ?

Mine is pretty much a sister to yours, and Black R/T SE's are indeed pretty rare to find ?
Just say'in.....   very tough decision !

yes he laid out the cash, no engine or trans, needs trunk, valance, inner fender from some torching it for aftermarket clutch pedal and lower rear quarter patch. needs alot of work but overall pretty solid.

Nacho-RT74

Black with blue interior? And R/T SE ? Its weird wherever yo see it!

Never thought black with blue was a posible combo. I guess black top.

Can't tell about the rest of project you can have around, but I think that's a keeper
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Oh! No drivetrain! I thought it could be a matching numbers car.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Cncguy

He's not paying that price to let her sit either, I'm sure it will be restored to perfection.

68RT440

I'd keep it IMO. If this one tugs at the heart strings and you've been chasing it for as long as you have, then once it's gone you will regret it...no matter how many other cars you build...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

RallyeMike

Neat car, but for 30k.... load it on the trailer. Unless it some family heirloom, there's always another one.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

69 OUR/TEA

I have been in your position before , in 2008 a friend wanted my AAR Cuda pretty strongly ,project similar to yours ( has its #'s matching engine )    , offered me basically half of what I considered it to be worth fully restored . I wanted the car , not the money so I refused . 2015 offered again and raised the offer $5k , still said no . Honestly at that offer , I would stand to make out better to sell right now , as is , vs. fully restoring it .

Still kept the car ! Have had it 15 years now . Money can be made , once the car is gone , it's gone . As other said , you have been stalking this car for 20 years !!!!

70B5Cuda

Agree with the above statement. You (CB) have a good feel for the market and if the guy wants to pay $10K over your perceived value, I would take the money and put it towards the other Chargers you're working on. if it was numbers matching car or if it was a running driving survivor then it would be cool to keep. Also, it will free up money for more Charger purchases!
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

cdr

Great car, if you sell it, with your talent you can build anything you want to replace it, but as far as a real black & blue R/T SE that would be a hard find for another one.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi-hampton

Looks like a $15k car to me. If someone offered me twice what it was worth I'd sell it. Just think what you could do with $30k on your other projects.  :scratchchin: :shruggy: :Twocents:  LEON.

Kern Dog

Looks like a pretty even split on what the members here think.
Chew on this for a moment....
A man is more than money. A man is his word, his actions and his dreams. A man looks at a raw, unrefined object and sees the beauty behind the rust and grease. A man is eager to take on a challenge despite what his peers say. A man sets a goal, then exceeds it.
Are YOU that man?

ACUDANUT

How do you match a not for sale sign.  Either they want to sell it or NOT.

igozumn

Never give them a price.  (unless you want to sell it).

Had a guy at work that always wanted my Charger.  He was making 100k at work and probably 80k on the side.  Playful banter back and forth for years.  I think he asked me once what I thought it was worth, or what I thought I could get out of it.  And I told him at the time, realistically what I thought it would bring.  He moved on to another job, but I run into him every couple months or so.  See him one day and he asks me to give him a stupid price. 

And I thought about it. 

But I didn't dare throw out what I was thinking.  Cause I knew.......

But I sure thought about it.   
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Troy

Honest question: do you want a "restored" R/T SE? It doesn't really seem like your style. Because, for what it is, you won't be happy straying from stock - but you also won't be happy driving it stock.

I'd have helped him load it on the trailer. ;)

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Old Moparz

I'd have taken the $30k, bought a road ready Charger, some beer & taken it to the body shop to paint it the color I want.  :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

JB400

If it's that important to you, quit fooling around with the others and just restore this one.  Otherwise, you're just another one of these hoarders that'll restore it someday.

F8-4life

Its an incredibly rad car that has everything going for it (tag wise)
So there's that...also 30k is your strong "not fs" price, you already quoted him that, and he stepped up...
The ending question here is if you want to sell it or not, only you can truly answer that.
I can tell you that with your restoration skills, you have an open door to a lot of opportunity in life and time is short and how you spend it is very important...
That being said I would sell the car!
Tell him you very much would regret getting rid of it but for 35K he can own it.
Remember, it's not a 4sp!

cbrestorations

Quote from: JB400 on July 18, 2017, 10:05:21 PM
If it's that important to you, quit fooling around with the others and just restore this one.  Otherwise, you're just another one of these hoarders that'll restore it someday.

i am a hoarder lol...i just pull one out of the fleet at a time

RCCDrew

Quote from: Troy on July 18, 2017, 09:29:02 PM
Honest question: do you want a "restored" R/T SE? It doesn't really seem like your style. Because, for what it is, you won't be happy straying from stock - but you also won't be happy driving it stock.

I'd have helped him load it on the trailer. ;)

Troy

I agree. You have plenty to keep you occupied.
You should sell it to him if he agrees to let you restore it.  :D