News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 74 charger tail light and grill paint?

Started by 74magnum, August 22, 2017, 11:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74magnum

So I've searched and still haven't found the right answer unless I've missed it... seen posts about the argent paints and they were either too textured or too dark... What's out there that's a dead on match for the argent color that the light housings and grills were painted?  Thanks.

ODZKing

Quote from: 74magnum on August 22, 2017, 11:37:50 PM
So I've searched and still haven't found the right answer unless I've missed it... seen posts about the argent paints and they were either too textured or too dark... What's out there that's a dead on match for the argent color that the light housings and grills were painted?  Thanks.
Yes, I know. everyone told me that too and it is NOT Argent. It is supposed to represent aluminum.
So on the tail lights of my 67 is a paint that surrounds the lenses that looked a lot like it. I called Mike at BE&A and asked what they used and this is what he told me.
I did the inside of my 73 tail lamps and the SE grilles and it is PERFECT.  It is called "Dull Aluminum". As you can see on my 73, it is spot on.

74magnum

Now is that only the plasti-kote dull aluminum or are there other manufacturers as well that use the dull aluminum? I ask because you know how different manufactures have the "same" color yet it varies...

Also how long ago did you paint them? How's it holding up? What process did you use for prep/paint from beginning to end? Any primers or adhesion promoters?

Thanks

ODZKing

Don't know about other companies colors.
Painted them in 2012 when we put the car back together.
Painted them first with argent and it wasn't correct. I painted over with this so I guess you could say argent was the primer.
Holding up great, says on the can, wont fade.
Just washed them, my wife taped off the chrome parts and painted them.

74magnum

Gotcha. I'll have to try it out... I also talked with guys from Herbs parts... they said there's 3 colors they have. Light and dark argent... those are both textured... BUT they say they have a GRILL paint for the 73/74 that is correct and not textured... ill assume the grills and tail light housings are the same paint.

Nacho-RT74

I used the same paint used on rallye and lot of "gray/argent/aluminium" color wheels. We don't have many options down here.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

74magnum

QuoteI used the same paint used on rallye and lot of "gray/argent/aluminium" color wheels. We don't have many options down here.

Nacho.. You gotta come out here... Seems like your always limited out there...

Nacho-RT74

Naaaaaah, how you can thing that's true!

LOL

My engine was painted with "antique Ford Blue" made by a local paint manufacturer. But really looks exactly the same than Corporated Chrysler blue

Being on topic. i like the gray shade used on wheels to the tail lights
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

randy73

I believe it is Argent, I bought 3 different ones when I did my grill and all 3 were different. I read on another forum there is a company making Argent in the correct shade, I will go and see if I can find the thread and let you know.

randy73

It is called Argent Silver and you can get it from Mopar Performance or you can use what I used from OEM paints. I have not had a chance to compare it with an original, but it looks correct to me, but I am not building a show car.

ODZKing

74magnum

I have my hands on an NOS grille set and an NOS tail light... I'll buy a few paints and compare to original.