News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Ignition switch ground

Started by M5Ivan, October 14, 2017, 11:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M5Ivan

I'm changing out my ignition switch because the key needs to be jiggled a little bit to move it and I'm having intermittent starting issues (not sure if it's related)
When I pulled out the old switch, the harness that attaches to it doesn't have a ground wire connected. The slot for it is empty as pictured.
Does anyone know if this should be connected to a ground and where?
Thanks for any input!

M5Ivan

I found the wiring diagram and it looks like it doesn't have a wire going to it. Strange! 

John_Kunkel

I believe the ground terminal provides a ground when the switch is in the Start position...used for testing warning lights. The switch body itself is grounded through the dash.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

kokxville

The housing from the ignitionswitch is the ground and it makes contact thru the dash frame.
:cheers:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Nacho-RT74

ign switch system doesn't need ground anyway. It could be even a full plastic assembly totally isolatted from frame or even that same switch hanging around from harness down the dash and will work the same... as John stated, mostly sure could provides ground ( can tell if switched or not ) for anything, but not needed on our cars... time to test by yourself if you are courious, but definitelly our cars and ignition system doesn't need that to work
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

cvf

Well, I seem to have the same problem, was there any solving?

cheers, Chris