News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body filler to use

Started by randy73, October 25, 2017, 01:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Almost all the video's and shows I see about prepping a car that has been stripped of it's old paint show them putting a bright yellow body filler that seems to be easy to sand. Does anybody know what it is called?

The stuff seems to come off rather easily and yes I know it is time lapsed, but I would love to know what it is.

timmycharger

Probably Rage Gold or Rage Extreme from Evercoat?  :shruggy: There are many.

green69rt

I think the color of the filler base doesn't mean as much as the hardener that's used and, sometimes, they can come in a variety of colors.  Like Timmycharger said, the Evercoat products sand pretty easy as do almost all the newer fillers.  Only one I found hard to sand is SMC proglas which is a fiber glass reinforced filler. 

Kern Dog

Some of that fiberglass stranded filler sets up like concrete. Holy shit is that stuff tough to sand down! I had a car with a rust pitted roof from a shitty vinyl top. There were no rusted through areas but it was thin. I smeared that stuff over in several applications to cover the entire roof. There is no way in hell I would have been able to sand it smooth by hand, I used 80 grit on the D/A and on my air long board. It threw off little dust as I sanded because the stuff was so damn hard. In the end it looked great and felt really solid, more so than any car with virgin steel!

Dodge Don

JR

Evercoat Rage Gold is the best sanding body filler I've ever used. I'd recommend it.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Charger-Bodie

Rage Ultra is even better than extreme.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 06, 2017, 01:52:36 AM
Some of that fiberglass stranded filler sets up like concrete. Holy shit is that stuff tough to sand down! I had a car with a rust pitted roof from a shitty vinyl top. There were no rusted through areas but it was thin. I smeared that stuff over in several applications to cover the entire roof. There is no way in hell I would have been able to sand it smooth by hand, I used 80 grit on the D/A and on my air long board. It threw off little dust as I sanded because the stuff was so damn hard. In the end it looked great and felt really solid, more so than any car with virgin steel!

The purists would hang you for not using a form of lead to fill :P

Agreed thought the fiberglass gets used here in the north often for rot repairs. If you keep undercoat oil so no moisture gets to it it will last a few years before bubbling out.

randy73

Now, how much should I buy?

Considering the the car has the normal dents and dings.

green69rt

Quote from: randy73 on November 09, 2017, 10:01:48 AM
Now, how much should I buy?

Considering the the car has the normal dents and dings.

If you were a professional, I'd say you shouldn't need more than a gallon or less.  If you need more than that then you haven't done enough work on the basic metal to get it straight.  I used about one and one half gallons, but most of that ended up on the garage floor as I learned how to do body work..  Just buy one gallon to start. Be sparing with the hardener.  If the filler sets up too fast you're using too much.  Practice really means a lot.

BlueSS454

Tom Rightler