News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column assembly ... issues

Started by CloedFL, November 01, 2017, 03:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloedFL

Dear all,

I am currently struggeling to assemble my steering column after i overhauled the parts ... The stand-off of the coupler is just to less to connect it with the steering gear:

I disassembled and assebled it now thrice and the stand-off remains the same....

Current status:

For me it seems that the position of the inner & outer tube are fine. the problem is the position of the 2 housings is wrong but during assembly, it seems to be properly adjusted:
First part:

2nd part:

Any advice what i am doing wrong??
1970 Charger ..

BR
Claudio

Canadian1968

I just got finished rebuildin mine out of the 68. Your picture is small but it looks there is way to much of the steering shaft sticking out from the column housing . It looks like i can see the groove where the snap ring should sit to hold the upper bearing in place ? That should slide right down and  seat into the bearing housing !

CloedFL

According to my pictures during disassembly, the snap ring on the steering shaft goes to the bearing which is in the most outer part of the column housing as you can see on the following pictures:

Furthermore, the hole in the steering shaft determines the position of the steering wheel lock which is position in the center part of the column housing.

From my point ov view, the mistake must be somewhere in the position of the column housings in relation the the outer tube ? :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Not sure if my pictures will help you any but here are a couple I took when I tore mine apart (69). Your steering shaft looks way too high in the column, the top bearing should be between the two grooves about 1.5" under the splines.

Have you also checked the shaft to see if it has collapsed inside the column?

CloedFL

All fine now, my shaft got stuck and was not able to be enlarged by hand .. thought it was the length as it should be but it must have become smaller during dissasembly :)