News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pickup tube questions

Started by timmycharger, January 20, 2018, 08:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I am swapping out the Moroso 7 qt pan on my 440 for a 6 qt hemi pan.  The tube i got for the hemi pan doesnt fit.

My question is how do you measure them? The one i have measures 1/2inch at the end of the threads but is too small.  Anyone have a side by side pic of a 3/8 and 1/2 tube?

69wannabe

Quote from: timmycharger on January 20, 2018, 08:07:54 PM
I am swapping out the Moroso 7 qt pan on my 440 for a 6 qt hemi pan.  The tube i got for the hemi pan doesnt fit.

My question is how do you measure them? The one i have measures 1/2inch at the end of the threads but is too small.  Anyone have a side by side pic of a 3/8 and 1/2 tube?

If the one you ordered doesn't fit and is to small then it will have to be the 1/2 inch pick up tube that you need. I wonder if someone has already tapped that out to a 1/2 inch thread since 3/8 is the factory size. What is the part number for the tube that you bought?? Should be able to look that number up and it will tell what size it is.......

BSB67

Factory original size is 3/8 pipe size which the tube measures something close to 5/8".  If that is what you purchased and it is way too small, then sometime in the blocks past, the passage was re-drilled and tapped for a 1/2 pipe size pickup which probably measures something like 13/16" IIRC.

What do you know about the block's past?

http://www.dacapo.com/uploads/documents/35-document.pdf

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

garner7555

The pickup tube has pipe threads  (NPT).   So 3/8" measures 0.675" because 3/8" is the inside diameter of the pickup tube.    The 1/2" pickup tube measures about .84" outside diameter.     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

timmycharger

Thank you for all of the responses, looks like I was not taking the measurements correctly.  Below are the pickups side by side with a measurement, looks like I need the 1/2 inch pickup.  The 1/2 seems like way overkill for my engine, can I just reduce it down and use the 3/8 pickup?

birdsandbees

Can't see any reason you couldn't use a 1/2 to 3/8 NPT bushing.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

c00nhunterjoe

As long as the length increase doesnt bottom out on the pan. Might have the tweak the pickup with the added length. If it is modified already, i would run the larger pickup.

timmycharger

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback as always. 

BSB67

Technically it is not NPT, and it is not inside diameter.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

timmycharger

I ended up just getting the 1/2 inch pickup from Mancini Racing that matches the Hemi 6 qt pan I have and now I have kind of a stupid question.

I have only run the Moroso pan and pickup since I owned my 440 and I just assumed that it matched the pan and I never tested the length to see if it sat correctly on the bottom of the pan.

How do I measure to make sure this one sits properly? Do I just screw it in until the threads bottom out and it will magically be in the correct place (clocked correctly and correct depth)?  Like I said, stupid question LOL  :icon_smile_big:  The engine is still in the car and I am working from underneath.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 22, 2018, 12:07:47 PM
As long as the length increase doesnt bottom out on the pan.

Instructions with the factory-style pickup say resting on the pan bottom is OK, even desirable. Not so with some aftermarket pickups like the Milodon.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Quote from: timmycharger on February 01, 2018, 09:25:29 AM
I ended up just getting the 1/2 inch pickup from Mancini Racing that matches the Hemi 6 qt pan I have and now I have kind of a stupid question.

I have only run the Moroso pan and pickup since I owned my 440 and I just assumed that it matched the pan and I never tested the length to see if it sat correctly on the bottom of the pan.

How do I measure to make sure this one sits properly? Do I just screw it in until the threads bottom out and it will magically be in the correct place (clocked correctly and correct depth)?  Like I said, stupid question LOL  :icon_smile_big:  The engine is still in the car and I am working from underneath.

I personally have not had great luck in having everything line up perfect.   If it doesn't. you'll need to adjust accordingly.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph