News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426- single vs dual carb?

Started by INTMD8, January 24, 2018, 10:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

I've been trying to search online to find dyno results of someone who has tested this but not making much progress.

The 69 I just bought came with a 426, I think that started life as a crate engine.  I'm told it was freshened up and a slightly larger cam installed (hyd flat tappet).

Pics that follow are the engine and dyno sheet.

Right now it has a single Holley 770.

I am contemplating doing this dual carb setup so I can run the original style air cleaner-  http://www.manciniracing.com/sthemacapa.html

Question is, would I be giving up anything in terms of performance? I would think no but do not want to guess.

Thanks!

-Jim

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

BLK 68 R/T

There was a place in Canada that made the original looking "chrome dome" air cleaners for the single 4 barrel application. I have no idea if they are still around. Guy I know bought one from them, I wanna say the place was called Classic Haulage??

c00nhunterjoe

It depends on what you want out of the car and what is currently in the engine. It will make more peak power with the 2 4s, but you will neex patience to tune it. I love multicarbs, especially on a hemi.

INTMD8

Thanks guys. Not looking for more power but don't want to spend money on the dual carb setup and lose power over what I have. (do not want to go backwards).

After more looking I am thinking of just doing the edelbrock 7524 (single plane dual carb air gap) and twin edelbrock 600's.

Not having any luck with finding the classic haulage website. Anyone know a link or where I can buy a chrome dome air cleaner other than ebay?

Thanks

cdr

Quote from: INTMD8 on January 26, 2018, 12:16:49 PM
Thanks guys. Not looking for more power but don't want to spend money on the dual carb setup and lose power over what I have. (do not want to go backwards).

After more looking I am thinking of just doing the edelbrock 7524 (single plane dual carb air gap) and twin edelbrock 600's.

Not having any luck with finding the classic haulage website. Anyone know a link or where I can buy a chrome dome air cleaner other than ebay?

Thanks

Here is a base says lid available
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NICE-426-HEMI-AIR-CLEANER-BASE-66-69-CHROME-DOME-SINGLE-FOUR-CARB-LID-AVAIL/222786777745?hash=item33df207291:m:mBM7UhD2GJVWx8nUOI9khOA
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

I dont think ive seen a hemi that ran bad with 2 4's....  ;D

6pkrtse

Mine likes 2 big four barrels.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

c00nhunterjoe

timmycharger

Quote from: 6pkrtse on February 26, 2018, 03:57:24 PM
Mine likes 2 big four barrels.

Holy Crap! That's not an engine, it's a freakin doomsday device!  :faint: :drive: :notworthy: :apimp:

INTMD8

TNT

I have used both single quad and dual quads on my hemi cars,  The recommended carb for the single quad from Mopar was a holley 850 cfm vacuum secondary, they worked nicely on my 476 stroker  hemi.    Only problem was the expectation of some people that it should have the dual quads.  If you are going with duals look for original AFB carbs and have them rebuilt I found them superior to the edelbrocks.

TNT

INTMD8

At the time I ended up using 2 avs2 carbs which worked nice.

Have since moved on..

ACUDANUT

I would go with with a single 850 Holley.  There has to be a way to make your air filter work, to make it stock.

472 R/T SE

I went with FHO and he recommended a Stage 5 intake with the two Eddies.  He tuned them to my elevation...ha! sea level.

my factory a cleaner doesn't have the vertical or horizontal lips but looks close, lol.  This was back in '06 so hard telling whats made.

Iirc, he told me the S5 was a marine intake, compared it to a large single plane.  I also run progressive linkage.
I have a dyno sheet somewhere but mine was a 472.  Too much cam tho, lol.