News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Free 8-track tapes

Started by lloyd3, January 29, 2018, 06:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

I was digging out my man cave today, making room for newer occupants (and cleaning up from last year's fun trips). Space is becoming a premium in there these days (wife & son have their treasures stored there too now) so as I cleared a path to the back wall rack, I realized that it was filled with boxes of 60s thru the 80s of 8-track tapes.  Most were working when I boxed them up roughly 20-years ago.  It is a mix if music, everything from rock to country to pop.  If anybody here owns a car with the original player, then these thing might have some interest. If you'd like a box of 20 or so (or maybe two boxes) let me know. I realize very few folks saved their original sound systems, so I don't expect many takers.  The tapes are free, if you pay the postage.  I'll give it some time and then most are off to the dump (Goodwill won't be interested, I'm guessing). At the last count, I believe I had something like 400 or so.

69rtse4spd

I am, got a 69 4-spd with 8-track.

69rtse4spd

Daytona R/T SE

I just checked.

I've got dozens of them already.

I'm going to pass...

draftingmonkey

Inspect and repair as needed before use. If you need to repair any of the tapes check over at Kate's Track Shack http://www.katestrackshack.com/. Repaired a number of my 8-track tapes with their parts. Probably the rubber rollers will be goo by now.
Yes, some of us still use them  ;D.

moparstuart

I would love a couple boxes of Rock Music  , have an aftermarket in my 70 Road Runner couple and a AM/ 8 track in the birdible  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

lloyd3

Wow! Way more of a response than I expected. You folks need to know that the tapes that survived were mostly the less-than desirable artists, like Vangellis or Slim Whitman or some serious unknowns (they just didn't get used).  I accumulated these items in my search for mostly hard-rock tapes to replace my own original library from back in the day.  I certainly have a mix of stuff, but it's hardly rare or exotic (other than the fact that all 8-tracks are pretty rare these days).  Do keep that in mind.  Think of the music back in the day (mostly the 70s) ...Carpenters, the Osmonds, Engelburt Humperdink, Dean Martin, you know... elevator music! Sadly, that is what dominates in this stack.  In order to get maybe one or two tapes that I really wanted, I normally had to buy a pile of tapes off of some eBay listing, or...somebody at work had heard that I was looking for tapes for my old car.  That means everything that was sitting over at grampa's house,  including bootlegs, soul, unknown country, even religious stuff.  I wish it was all Beatles, Aerosmith, Tom Petty and Van Halen....it isn't.  

Something else you need to know...the post office isn't cheap anymore. A decently packed box of tapes is likely going to cost $20 to $25 bucks to ship.

Alaskan_TA

Do you happen to have any 'Gator' grain 8-track tape cases?

Louis Armstrong ?

Any 60s-80s pop?

My 1970 Sport Satellite has a factory AM / 8-track (Gator top too) & I also want to put a player in the shop just for nostalgic tunes.

VegasCharger

Quote from: lloyd3 on January 30, 2018, 11:59:20 AM
Something else you need to know...the post office isn't cheap anymore. A decently packed box of tapes is likely going to cost $20 to $25 bucks to ship.

You should consider using USPS flat rate boxes.
Depending on how many 8 track tapes are requested a certain amount would fit into to these boxes.

Medium Flat Box $13.65 (11"x8.5"x5.5")
Larger Flat Rate Box $18.90 (12"x12"x5.5")

These boxes are free to pick up at your local post office and the charges don't apply until the shipping designation is paid for.

This is for USA lower 48.

:cheers:

stripedelete

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 30, 2018, 06:28:36 PM
Do you happen to have any 'Gator' grain 8-track tape cases?

Louis Armstrong ?

Any 60s-80s pop?

My 1970 Sport Satellite has a factory AM / 8-track (Gator top too) & I also want to put a player in the shop just for nostalgic tunes.

I've got you covered on the "gator" case.   

If lloyd3 runs out, I've got plenty of country.  (from when it wasn't cool:))

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: VegasCharger on January 30, 2018, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: lloyd3 on January 30, 2018, 11:59:20 AM

You should consider using USPS flat rate boxes.
Depending on how many 8 track tapes are requested a certain amount would fit into to these boxes.

Medium Flat Box $13.65 (11"x8.5"x5.5")
Larger Flat Rate Box $18.90 (12"x12"x5.5")

These boxes are free to pick up at your local post office and the charges don't apply until the shipping designation is paid for.

This is for USA lower 48.

:cheers:

As a former resident of Alaska with a lot of package experience, I can assure you that flat rate box rates are the same for ALL 50 states.   :cheers:

Note that the USPS site says anywhere in the country & yes, Hawaii & Alaska are part of our country.  :yesnod:

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-flat-rate-boxes-variety-pack-P_VARIETY_FRBV

lloyd3

I'm still shocked to hear that so many folks have 8-track systems in their cars.  Also, good to know about those "flat-rate" boxes, thank-you!  I have a few car cases, but no "gator" examples.  Because of other commitments, this week is fairly-well shot now, but I should be able to start getting boxes filled next week.

Alaskan_TA

My Fury III has a vintage aftermarket unit that still works well.  :cheers:

moparstuart

:drool5:  i have the tape too and these   :icon_smile_big: 

moparstuart

VegasCharger

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 30, 2018, 09:38:47 PM
As a former resident of Alaska with a lot of package experience, I can assure you that flat rate box rates are the same for ALL 50 states.   :cheers:

Note that the USPS site says anywhere in the country & yes, Hawaii & Alaska are part of our country.  :yesnod:

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-flat-rate-boxes-variety-pack-P_VARIETY_FRBV

Cool!!! Good to know, Thanks TA.  :cheers:

lloyd3

Ran into this today. Good combination of car and music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Brcuu0TxGk

Polygon

Mail some classic rock or whatever, be happy to pay for shipping. I have an in dash 8track and under the dash.
JohnPredgen
3307 50th Ave E
Bradenton, Fl
(can you believe I goofed my zipcode?)

Be happy to get then an reimburse you, or mail a check in advance.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

billssuperbird

I have an AM FM 8-track in my car and it works good.
sometimes it gets more attention than the car does

moparstuart

:
Quote from: billssuperbird on February 01, 2018, 01:00:34 PM
I have an AM FM 8-track in my car and it works good sometimes that gets more attention than the car does
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: mine to  especially with a couple 8 tracks up on the dash 

F8-4life

Are 8 tracks really worth anything?
I looked on ebay and they look relatively cheap, even the more desirable rock n roll stuff .

timmycharger

I have been looking for a Van Halen 1984 8 track for years, they are around, but usually $50 to $100. lots of the 80s stuff like Prince or Madonna are getting huge money.

Ive paid $20 a piece for a few Ozzy Ozbourne ones.  

I love having the 8 track in my Charger, as it was said, usually people talk about that the most.  My factory 8 track is modified with RCA/Amp inputs and a 3.5 jack for an MP3 player or Ipod.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: F8-4life on February 01, 2018, 04:01:07 PM
Are 8 tracks really worth anything?

These tapes are like the cars we listen to them in, the value is in using them as they were intended to be used.  ;)

nvrbdn

Love the old 8-track systems. Actually have 4 car stereo's and a few of the portable boom box style, plus 2 home systems. Plus a couple hundred tapes. And I found a pair of "Kraco hump speakers" for the back window. Just need to find some good speakers to mount in the boxes.  Plus 6 of those fun carry cases.
                             Next we can talk about my album collection. :D
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House