News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood Turn Signal bulbs breaking?

Started by Danacus, March 04, 2018, 05:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danacus

I'm having a '69 restored and the guy doing the work says that the hood signals are not a good idea because the bulbs break (I assume the filament) when the hood is closed. Has anyone here had this problem?

He has restored over 30 2nd generation Chargers and does really good work, so I do trust his opinion, but I really like the hood signals.

Mopar Nut

Mine have never broke, tell him not to slam the hood.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

birdsandbees

You got Leno dropping by to slam the hood?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

A383Wing

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Danacus on March 04, 2018, 05:14:58 PM
He has restored over 30 2nd generation Chargers and does really good work, so I do trust his opinion, but I really like the hood signals.

how many with hood turning signals ? LOL

Locally ( Venezuela ) all mechs says we don't need Thermostat on cooling system and Choke on carburetor because living in tropic that's not needed here. So tipically you'll find cars here with those parts removed. When I heard that continuouslly ask them if they have being in Arizona or even Mojave Desert to find if the cars on those areas with lot of heat in the States get the cars with those parts removed LOL.

So, if you trust on him and don't want the hood turning signals just because "he says they break", then go for it and don't install  :stirthepot:. Maybe ( just maybe ) he is right
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

JR

He shouldn't be slamming the hood closed.

If you want something bulletproof though, LEDs would never break. And would be brighter and easier to see in bright sunlight.

I've been using LEDs for the last couple of years. Love em.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Lennard

Quote from: Danacus on March 04, 2018, 05:14:58 PM
I'm having a '69 restored and the guy doing the work says that the hood signals are not a good idea because the bulbs break (I assume the filament) when the hood is closed. Has anyone here had this problem?

Bull shit

Charger-Bodie

I've seen people have trouble with the lenses letting go of the housings but never seen one break bulbs.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mopar Nut

Quote from: JR on March 04, 2018, 09:16:40 PM

If you want something bulletproof though, LEDs would never break. And would be brighter and easier to see in bright sunlight.

What brand are you using?

Danacus

Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone recommend a brand of hood turning signal (bulb and/or LED type)? I assume there are different suppliers.

Thanks again.

Nacho-RT74

bulbs... if you search on line go to bulb town. They are the cheaper source. If you search on ebay using MOPAR keywords, will pay maybe 300-400% more... even more ( I have found 1000% more ). Search by bulb number.

I wouldn't take care about leds. Incandescent reg bulbs are ok. Not saying they don't work, but, well... I'm, still not charmed by the leds on older cars, where the housings are designed to get 360º light radiator, while leds use to radiate the light just to the front.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Your mechanic is wrong, your bulbs will be fine.  As others have mentioned, tell him he doesn't need to slam the hood like some kind of gorilla. (or a retired comedian)

JR

Quote from: Mopar Nut on March 04, 2018, 11:24:32 PM
Quote from: JR on March 04, 2018, 09:16:40 PM

What brand are you using?

I'm actually using a universal led strip that fits perfectly in the slot, and only cost a few bucks each. (I couldn't bring myself to pay 200 bucks for the reproduction lenses and brackets.)

But I'm sure there is an LED equivalent to replace the factory bulb. Id recommend www.superbrightleds.com as I've bought several high quality LEDs from them in the past. They have an interchange you can look up directly from the original bulb number.

The thing you have to watch out for is the width (or length) of the bulb body, as sometimes leds can be thicker than the original bulb, depending on the brand. The superbrightled website is usually pretty good about posting up a pic comparing the original bulb to the led.

mopar0166

BLK 68 R/T

QuoteI'm actually using a universal led strip that fits perfectly in the slot, and only cost a few bucks each.

Got a part # by chance? I would like to change mine to LED.

Charger RT

my bulbs are at least 35 years old and haven't blown yet.
Tim

JR

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on March 05, 2018, 02:10:16 PM

QuoteI'm actually using a universal led strip that fits perfectly in the slot, and only cost a few bucks each.

Got a part # by chance? I would like to change mine to LED.

My car never had the hood turn signals, it only had blank plates. So I used a universal led strip from superbrightleds.com instead of buying the 200 dollar reproduction housings. Here's a link to the original post I made showing them if anyone is curious. (I wasn't overly concerned with original appearance, obviously.)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,94375.msg1470744.html#msg1470744

Now as far as a replacement for a 68-69 charger with factory indicators, the same company offers this (I am assuming the original bulb number is 1816, you'll have to verify this):

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/1816/

Again, I can't recommend this company enough if anyone is looking to buy LEDs. They've been great to deal with in my experience.

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

mopar0166

If I had to redo mine again, I think id go with those led strips