News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front end alignment- w/o front clip ok?

Started by NHCharger, March 18, 2018, 08:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

As my question states I need to get my front end aligned since I rebuilt the front end and went with tubular UCA's. I plan on trailering the car to the alignment shop so I was wondering if not having the fenders, hood and nosecone on would make a big difference? I'm guessing around 200 lbs. 
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Kern Dog

Some nitpickers would say you need everything on the car. Me? I can only see an issue with the ride height changing with the rest of the car all together. Maybe have them set the height as is, align it then once the car is all assembled, crank up the Torsion bars to the final height.   :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

It will affect it, but probably only 1/4 degree of camber, 1/8 of caster and maybe .1 toe. Set a couple bags of playsand across the core support to even it out if you like.

JR

The difference it will effect it would be enough to bother me, personally.

I'd add some weight bags on the nose like coonhunterjoe suggsted, or wait until the nose was on if it were my car.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

bakerhillpins

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 19, 2018, 09:30:19 PM
It will affect it, but probably only 1/4 degree of camber, 1/8 of caster and maybe .1 toe. Set a couple bags of playsand across the core support to even it out if you like.

Man, my mind was racing through all sorts of complicated BS and you just nailed it. That's so simple. Love it!!  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Nacho-RT74

you need all the weight added to the car before the alignment. Yes, will affect. How much? dunno, but will.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 20, 2018, 05:46:42 AM

Man, my mind was racing through all sorts of complicated BS and you just nailed it. That's so simple. Love it!!  :cheers:

LOL. The engineer in you never sleeps.
I built a custom bracket to hang the nosecone off of since I didn't like the fiberglass repop Z-brackets. I could install that and hang a couple of sand bags off that.
Thanks for the feedback.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

TommyGun

It will definitely effect it. If the car is not all together why worry about alignment? Just wait and do it last.

Dino

200 pounds? How big are you? Just sit on the engine while they align it. Bring a pillow.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

birdsandbees

LOL Dirk. I figured on my Bee, with the ramcharger fresh air hood box, that I should throw about 250 lbs on to simulate hood, fenders, headlight/grill stuff and bumper. 5 bags of plastic pellets from our injection moulding plant will work perfect.

The resto shop that did my body and paint told me they have done alignments with the front clip off and then check again after complete assembly and nothing had changed enough to make it worth attempting to adjust again.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Kern Dog

NHCharger

Quote from: Dino on March 25, 2018, 09:17:26 AM
200 pounds? How big are you? Just sit on the engine while they align it. Bring a pillow.   :lol:

Haha. Over the winter I have ballooned up to 160. Think I just put on the custom nose bracket I built to protect the radiator when I bring it in.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel