News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mid 70s 440 engine cranks but won't start

Started by Norv, March 19, 2018, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

So, my mid 70's 440 (automatic) is cranking (turning over) but won't start. Was running fine one weekend, would not start the next. It has an electronic distributor (the type Chrysler started using in 1972. I replaced the ballast resistor, but that did not fix it. I don't think it's the coil. I keep hearing a buzzing noise when I let off trying to start it (sounds like something electrical is loading up?). The buzzing seems to be up front near the distributor and coil. Any ideas? Distributor, voltage regulator, ????

John_Kunkel

Have you done the basic stuff like check for spark? If there's no spark, try this:

Disconnect the engine harness connector at the distributor, turn on the ignition switch and touch the male prong on the engine harness to ground. Each time the prong is grounded and pulled away you should get a spark from the coil. If it sparks, the distributor pickup is the problem, if not it's the primary wiring, ECU or coil.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Norv

Yes, there's spark at the coil. I'll check the other stuff. Just wondered if any one had a similar problem. Plus, I'm use to changing points, not working on this electronic distributor.  Thanks.

NHCharger

Check your voltage at the coil. Make sure you have 12 volts in both the run position and start position in regards to your key.
So you have ruled out any problems with your carb or fuel pump?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69wannabe

It's possible you module box went bad, check for spark at your spark plugs. If no spark it may be a bad coil or module box. Check for voltage at the resistor too

Bronzedodge

There's a buzzing?  It is likely the ECU then.  Make sure the ground is good for your new one.
Mopar forever!

Norv

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: NHCharger on March 27, 2018, 08:59:42 PM
Check your voltage at the coil. Make sure you have 12 volts in both the run position and start position in regards to your key.

incorrect, just in Start... in RUN should be anywhere between 4.5 and 9V.

pickup coil dist must be in between 150 and 900 ohms ( tipically 250-300 ). I'd check it at ECU plug, to be sure dist plug is also good.

One of the pickup coil wires pins ( can't remember which one ) must get continuity with chassis

the voltage at - lead of coil with key in RUN must be the same at the ECU end of the wire ( checking for wire conditions )... black traced yellow.

Blue traced yellow wire at ECU must read same voltage than Blue wire at ballast.

ECU must be good grounded.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Good catch Nacho. I'm running Firecore RTR systems in both my 440's. Not a stock system.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Norv

Fixed!  It was not electronics. Apparently the carburetor was clogged.  Go figure.....

birdsandbees

You had spark.. and air.. all you needed was fuel. Why I have a small plastic pepsi bottle full of fuel in the shop with a hole drilled in the lid.

I'm thinking a lot of the "no start" and died at the lights threads have a similar theme. OLD GAS that has turned to varnish.

Tried to start my wife's Vette two days ago and killed both my booster packs cranking. Had spark, air AND FUEL squirting out the carb accelerators. No start, not even a hint. One squirt of fresh gas from my bottle the next morning, after charging the booster packs back up, and instant fire.

Drained her fuel tank of old fuel (dark as varnish) and put in a few gallons of fresh stuff. Fired on the squirt bottle and had to keep it running on same until the fresh fuel made it through the line and it then idled away just like it always had.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Norv

Mine did not have old gas. Either the carb was clogged, or the fuel was bad from the gas station. I'm just glad it's running!!